Josh Allen vs Lamar Jackson comparison: A Thread

All kidding aside, Jackson could take a step this year and improve his passing and be a good QB. I hate the narrative that says he will, but Allen wont because of all the same damn issues that Jackson has. It's ridiculous. 

They're both boom or bust prospects, but Allen's ceiling is a lot higher than Jackson. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not surprised he wasn’t on their board. I think Beane likes prototypes in terms of size and Lamar isn’t that.

Yeah.

I also think that by going through the Tyrod Taylor experience, they saw firsthand the limitations of a quarterback whose primary skill is running and whose passing skills are suspect. Ironically enough, that is now the critique of Josh Allen, until he proves otherwise.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

They are both young QBs with promising upsides. Do we really have to split hairs and decide who is better right now? It will play out over the next ~10 years....

People made up their minds the day they were both drafted.  Hell even prior to that with some. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not really defending Lamar but for accuracy sake, I think some of the playoff game was on coaching. The Chargers were really thin at LB and has just played Lamar 3 weeks earlier - they used a totally different D that had 5 DBs and safeties playing LB as a recall. I just don’t think the ravens were prepared. 

the chargers were the first and only team to be able to see Jackson twice last year. I think there might be something to that.... maybe not. but I think its worth mentioning.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Both hold the ball too long just like Tyrod.  Allen needs to improve the rhythm passing, and stop with the hero ball at times.  There's a lot to improve and a lot to like.  The o-line makes his 2018 season kind of hard to evaluate, as do the lack of consistent WR threats.  I hope to see some pretty stark improvements this year.  

LJ had a ton of designed runs like kaepernick - that typically works when you drive the ball down the field more.  You open up deep outs, fly routes, etc by forcing them to keep extra guys in the box.  Greg Roman is the O-coordinator... who was coordinator with Alex Smith, Kaep, Tyrod etc.  He's likely going to continue running LJ at least 10 times a game, and hes going to emphasize hitting receivers outside the numbers.  LJs sack% last year was almost 9 and i expect it to hover around 9-10 next year as Roman typically seems to coach a protect the ball type of offense.  He also struggled in the playoff game when his team was behind and he was forced to take out the read-option stuff.  7 sacks, 1 pick, 3 fumbles.  

Also something to keep in mind - he only threw 3 picks and had a 1.8% INT rate... but he fumbled 12 times and 3 more times in the playoff game.  That is a LOT of fumbles.  

I agree in a sense 

JA held the ball reading the field then trying to scramble when he didn't see anything

TT held the ball too long waiting for the perfect pass (usually after the player stopped and turned towards TT) 

As I recall, and I will also state that I didn't see a whole hell of a lot of the Ravens,  but I did see just enough to see he had designed run plays more than pass plays 

12 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I agree in a sense 

JA held the ball reading the field then trying to scramble when he didn't see anything

TT held the ball too long waiting for the perfect pass (usually after the player stopped and turned towards TT) 

As I recall, and I will also state that I didn't see a whole hell of a lot of the Ravens,  but I did see just enough to see he had designed run plays more than pass plays 

There was a stat somewhere on how many more percentage of LJ’s runs were designed runs vs Allen’s which were scrambling from pressure. It was significant. The difference with TT is that he was still holding onto the ball in his 7th year in the league and hadn’t evolved. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

All kidding aside, Jackson could take a step this year and improve his passing and be a good QB. I hate the narrative that says he will, but Allen wont because of all the same damn issues that Jackson has. It's ridiculous. 

They're both boom or bust prospects, but Allen's ceiling is a lot higher than Jackson. 

If he developes he will be a nightmare for defenses to deal with.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Nike will be contacting you soon with a job offer.?

Its really not that confusing @Logic and @ddaryl

actually it really is. Unless you think Nike shouldn't protect themselves from a large negative fall out which is just bad business decision making.  

• Like (+1) 1

I had Allen below Jackson as a draft evaluation but that was because I vastly underestimated Josh's legs or else I'd have had them right there together. 

After watching every throw both has made in the NFL Josh is clearly ahead. 

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

There was a stat somewhere on how many more percentage of LJ’s runs were designed runs vs Allen’s which were scrambling from pressure. It was significant. The difference with TT is that he was still holding onto the ball in his 7th year in the league and hadn’t evolved. 

Still holding it in his 7th year in the league from a drop back taken in week 1 of his rookie season. Don't worry though he will see a pass he likes soon. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I had Allen below Jackson as a draft evaluation but that was because I vastly underestimated Josh's legs or else I'd have had them right there together. 

After watching every throw both has made in the NFL Josh is clearly ahead. 

Still holding it in his 7th year in the league from a drop back taken in week 1 of his rookie season. Don't worry though he will see a pass he likes soon. 

I don’t know who needs to hear this, but Robert Woods is open. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting stuff to chew on if you Iike 

to chew on stuff and are counting the days until camp like yours truly

....interesting.....there were TBD pundits fine with taking Jackson at #12......hard pass for me...just do not see it....could be woefully wrong, but I see "one read and run"....