Albert Haynesworth pleading for a new kidney - in dire need

This was pretty crazy to me ,  I wasn't aware he was in such bad health. Crazy around 2009 he was coming off a couple elite , outstanding , world class seasons at DT , getting a historic contract , to needing a new kidney just to stay alive. Wish him the best.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-titans-dt-albert-haynesworth-hospitalized-in-dire-need-of-a-kidney-013837285.html

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2

You’d think with that 100m he got all those years ago he’d have been able to pay someone for a kidney. But I’m sure he wasted all that money on drugs and booze that caused his kidney damage in the first place. 

The guy was a dirty scumbag if I recall correctly. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, mrags said:

You’d think with that 100m he got all those years ago he’d have been able to pay someone for a kidney. But I’m sure he wasted all that money on drugs and booze that caused his kidney damage in the first place. 

The guy was a dirty scumbag if I recall correctly. 

I don't think you remember correctly.  He did have his moments on the playing field, but so do all fierce competitors.

Drugs or booze would usually be liver, not kidneys. 

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/albert-haynesworth-letter-to-my-younger-self

According to the above account, the investment advisor he trusted ripped him off for millions, so there's that:

"During your freshman year, Coach Fulmer will introduce you to a psychologist who will become one of your best friends. He’ll listen to your problems when you’re struggling. You’ll go tubing and water skiing on his boat and hang out with him all throughout college. He will come to your house and meet your mom. I know this sounds crazy, Albert. But do not trust this man. As soon as you decide to declare for the NFL Draft, he will say, “You know, I do some investing on the side. I’ve been helping other guys out for years. You should let me handle your money.”

"You’ve heard the horror stories about guys buying a fleet of Rolls Royces and gold chains and going broke. You’re not an idiot. You know you should invest your money, and this guy is showing you a business card that says “Morgan Stanley” and a multi-million dollar portfolio. I know he seems trustworthy. I know he seems smart. But if you let your friend handle your finances, he’s going to take millions from you."

" In retirement, you will discover that your financial advisor has squandered most of the money you made with the Redskins, and he will be under investigation for financial fraud. Thankfully, you will have discovered a passion for restoring houses and buying property during your offseasons. You’ll even open up a BurgerFi restaurant in Knoxville (I know you love burgers). Instead of being on the beach in the Bahamas, like most people probably think you are, you will be hanging drywall in a condo in South Carolina. And you know what? That will make you extremely happy."

I'm not going to make the assumption that he squandered his money on parties and ruined his kidneys with illegal drugs and booze without knowing more about it.  But here's the thing with a transplant: you can't just "pay someone":  blood typing, tissue typing and cross-matching all have to line up.  A relative is the best chance of that.

By the way, NSAID class drugs, including prescription NSAIDs such as Toradol that are heavily used by NFL team physicians, can cause kidney damage.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

If he still has some of the piles of green stuff he earned on the field,  he will be able to get a kidney from China when they execute their next political prisoner and do their next organ harvesting, or India because we all have two right, and someone there will sell him one of theirs for 10 grand...

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/true-stories/the-reality-of-human-organ-harvesting-in-china/news-story/14d3aa5751c39d6639a1cc5b39f223b7

https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-india-kidney-snap-story.html

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think you remember correctly.  He did have his moments on the playing field, but so do all fierce competitors.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/albert-haynesworth-letter-to-my-younger-self

According to the above account, the investment advisor he trusted ripped him off for millions, so there's that:

"During your freshman year, Coach Fulmer will introduce you to a psychologist who will become one of your best friends. He’ll listen to your problems when you’re struggling. You’ll go tubing and water skiing on his boat and hang out with him all throughout college. He will come to your house and meet your mom. I know this sounds crazy, Albert. But do not trust this man. As soon as you decide to declare for the NFL Draft, he will say, “You know, I do some investing on the side. I’ve been helping other guys out for years. You should let me handle your money.”

"You’ve heard the horror stories about guys buying a fleet of Rolls Royces and gold chains and going broke. You’re not an idiot. You know you should invest your money, and this guy is showing you a business card that says “Morgan Stanley” and a multi-million dollar portfolio. I know he seems trustworthy. I know he seems smart. But if you let your friend handle your finances, he’s going to take millions from you."

" In retirement, you will discover that your financial advisor has squandered most of the money you made with the Redskins, and he will be under investigation for financial fraud. Thankfully, you will have discovered a passion for restoring houses and buying property during your offseasons. You’ll even open up a BurgerFi restaurant in Knoxville (I know you love burgers). Instead of being on the beach in the Bahamas, like most people probably think you are, you will be hanging drywall in a condo in South Carolina. And you know what? That will make you extremely happy."

I'm not going to make the assumption that he squandered his money on parties and ruined his kidneys with illegal drugs and booze without knowing more about it.  But here's the thing with a transplant: you can't just "pay someone":  blood typing, tissue typing and cross-matching all have to line up.  A relative is the best chance of that.

By the way, NSAID class drugs, including prescription NSAIDs such as Toradol that are heavily used by NFL team physicians, can cause kidney damage.

Moments on the playing field huh...

7th dirtiest played of all time:

https://m.ranker.com/list/dirtiest-nfl-players-of-all-time/prosportsextra

Per wiki:Legal issuesEdit

Arrest warrants were issued against Haynesworth in two Tennessee counties in May 2006 stemming from a traffic incident on Interstate 40. Both sets of charges were dropped in June 2006. The judge in the Putnam County case tossed the charges on the grounds that the alleged offense happened out of their jurisdiction. In Smith County, the district attorney dismissed the charges. In March 2009, Haynesworth was indicted on two misdemeanor traffic charges stemming from a December 2008 car accident in Tennessee.[39]In an accident on Interstate 65, Corey Edmonson was partially paralyzed after colliding with Haynesworth's car. Haynesworth was driving his Ferrari at speeds in excess of 100 mph when he struck Edmonson's vehicle, which struck a concrete barrier.[40]

In 2010, Silvia Mena, a stripper from New York, claimed in a $10 million lawsuit that Haynesworth impregnated her and left her with no financial assistance.[40]

In 2011, Haynesworth allegedly threw a punch to the nose of Joel Velazques, 38, of Leesburg, Virginia during a traffic altercation.[42]

In January 2015, Haynesworth plead guilty for reckless boating charges.

yeah. He’s just misunderstood. Was a fierce competitor with a few bad moments on the field and that’s it. 

And yes, all kinds of drugs and alcohol affect your kidneys. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

If he still has some of the piles of green stuff he earned on the field,  he will be able to get a kidney from China when they execute their next political prisoner and do their next organ harvesting, or India because we all have two right, and someone there will sell him one of theirs for 10 grand...

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/true-stories/the-reality-of-human-organ-harvesting-in-china/news-story/14d3aa5751c39d6639a1cc5b39f223b7

You don't have to go to China....

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

I’ll sell him one, but then I’ll back out and keep the money.

Karma, biotch.

sorry brother.. C.O.D.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, mrags said:

Moments on the playing field huh...

He writes his side of that in the link I gave.

6 hours ago, mrags said:

yeah. He’s just misunderstood. Was a fierce competitor with a few bad moments on the field and that’s it. 

And yes, all kinds of drugs and alcohol affect your kidneys. 

Way to strawman-ize.  No one is claiming "he's just misunderstood" or "that's it", including me.

But neither are you backing up your assertion that drug and alcohol abuse are the cause of his kidney disease, nor that he squandered his money.

Me, a guy has serious health problems and needs a kidney, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt absent evidence.

• Like (+1) 2

I was only born with one kidney (called a horseshoe kidney, located directly behind my spine) and this is a constant fear of mine. I found out in college while getting checked for something unrelated. First thing the doctor said to me was don't play contact sports without heavy protection around back/ribs.

Played football for 4 years and never wore rib pads ?

Also said if I'm ever in a car accident, I need to have my kidney checked immediately as I could need dialysis asap if it is damaged

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I don't think the odds are very good that an Indian person's kidney would be a good blood and tissue type, and cross-match for a Black man.

Detroit could work.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ya good call on the Toradol.  I'm 2 semesters away from graduating college and ultimately becoming a drug counselor , we once had a case study on drug abuse in the NFL . Mainly focusing on the over prescribing habits of drs in sports. Toradol is used at an alarming rate, especially in the NFL and at the rate prescribed, is known to have adverse effects on your kidneys. 

Also Real Sports did a remarkable piece on the prescribing habits of NFL team Drs about 5 years ago. They focused alot on Toradol n the risks of that amount. Great piece if you're interested in this stuff.  I tried to find a link to it real quick but I'm a little busy with work. It should be an easy find on YouTube 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I know a couple people who have gone through this, pleading for a kidney donor. It’s a harrowing thing. How awful. 

Yea I can only imagine . Your life hanging in the balance based on receiving a body part from another human being. Wish the big guy the best and anybody going through this good luck , it can happen to anybody 

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think the odds are very good that an Indian person's kidney would be a good blood and tissue type, and cross-match for a Black man.

Detroit could work.

I was wondering about this.

I've read a bunch about how there are racial incompatibilities for blood transfers.  Is is the same or worse for organs?

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Detroit could work.

I feel like you’ve hit racism here in multiple levels. Should probably lock this thread. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I can't help him.  My kidneys aren't working so well these days.  I wish I knew what the cause was.  Not NSAIDS in my case.

None of my bits work well anymore.

Shame to be in a position of desperation after living a life of arrogance and aggressive behaviour.

a lesson here perhaps ?

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I know a couple people who have gone through this, pleading for a kidney donor. It’s a harrowing thing. How awful. 

yep.
 it is nothing short of awful facing the end of life and few options.
Hope to go out with some dignity.