2019 Hurricane Season

T&C

Sister lives in Jacksonville Beach, just north of Ponte Vedra, about 200 yards from the beach.  Neighbor sent her video where streets near house are completely dry / free of sand.  They have to get their son to fire up the drone to check the shingles on the roof (3 story house).

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My Sister is in Stuart on Hutchinson Island.  She is still up North till Tuesday.

How did the barrier islands fair in and around Stuart?

Not bad. Some beach erosion, reports of a few trees down. No reports of structural damage. I don't even think they lost power out there.  I worked as a Firefighter out on the Island for 20+ years. This storm wasn't anywhere near a Frances, Jeanne, or Wilma. Although things were looking much worse.  Feel really bad for those folks in the Bahamas though. Wow, total devestation.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2UDDXKOPERFN7GBJLJ7ATEBZ2Y.png

FIRST ALERT: Dorian is a Category 2 hurricane, impacting the Grand Strand

fortunately it has dropped to a cat 2. cat 5 as she once was would of been much more devastating for the carolinas.

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My Sister is in Stuart on Hutchinson Island.  She is still up North till Tuesday.

How did the barrier islands fair in and around Stuart?

I used to have family in stuart/port salerno. lived there myself for a year or so back the mid '80's.. many memories there, good ones at that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

We do too. I'm just hoping the lights don't go out, but I believe my hope will be far fetched because I'm pretty sure they will. Just a matter of how long, hopefully not for weeks.

Got my generator prepped and 10 gallons ready just in case

27 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Got my generator prepped and 10 gallons ready just in case

Must be nice to have. Unfortunately I've never been able to get one as of yet. Seems like a very good investment though. So I suppose I will start to save money towards getting one so I will be ready for next season at least.

2 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Must be nice to have. Unfortunately I've never been able to get one as of yet. Seems like a very good investment though. So I suppose I will start to save money towards getting one so I will be ready for next season at least.

A wise investment.  Pays for itself the first time you need to use it

Get something with at least two circuits. 

One for your fridge or microwave.  don't run both at the same time, run the fridge to keep stuff cold and unplug it when you need to use the microwave

Second circuit for lower power stuff, like TV, some lights, a fan, keep your phone charged, etc.

And extension cords.  Lots of extension cords

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

It looks like the Cape Hatteras area is going to be demolished...

Something that irritates me everytime we have one of these storms is the "X is going to be demolished" or "we've never seen anything like this" or "see, proof of Wobal Glorming!"

Meanwhile the local meteorologist on Norfolk TV station was comparing what's expected to previous storms.  And yeah, we go thru a storm like this every 5 years or so

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Something that irritates me everytime we have one of these storms is the "X is going to be demolished" or "we've never seen anything like this" or "see, proof of Wobal Glorming!"

Meanwhile the local meteorologist on Norfolk TV station was comparing what's expected to previous storms.  And yeah, we go thru a storm like this every 5 years or so

Well, out of those three totally different statements, mine is certainly the most accurate. ?

Also, Norfolk is nothing like Hatteras. Hatteras is part of a series of small barrier islands, which happen to be closer to the direct path of this storm.

I'm not rooting for destruction, but just pointing out that your comment seems like an overreaction to my statement.

10 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Funny story..MIL lives on 49th street in VB..about 10-12 years ago VB was gunna take a direct hit so she came up to Richmond to ride the storm out. Damn thing stalled here, power was out 10 minutes in, and the storm lasted like 15 hours, massive oak fell on out house, scared the poop out of all of us ...her street never lost power LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Funny story..MIL lives on 49th street in VB..about 10-12 years ago VB was gunna take a direct hit so she came up to Richmond to ride the storm out. Damn thing stalled here, power was out 10 minutes in, and the storm lasted like 15 hours, massive oak fell on out house, scared the poop out of all of us ...her street never lost power LOL

Karma sure is a Mutha Fooger!  I pray for you and all the son inlaws out there. Especially the newlywed SiL's:

Like my older sister... She left Hutchinson Island in Stuart because of Dorian... Drove 20 hours up to CBus, O-H-I-O to visit newlywed daughter and fresh of the press son inlaw... My sister pissed and moaned whole time about drive, being tired, leaving, storm will be weaker, the whole 9 yards.  Guess what happens last weekend in the Columbus?  BOOM... Big thunderstorm hits Ohio and they lose power for two days.  Hail too.  Biblical proportions!  Then she beatches about the aging infrastructure in Ohio and they can't restore power because of a feeble little thunderstorm... /smh

What a hell of way to start a marriage.  Slunk over a generator watching your Mutha Inlaw bellyache... LoL... God, make it quick... Oak tree you're in my way! LoL

Guess who my sister aligns herself with politically?  But that's immaterial and (I) don't want to get accused of anything here.  Match made in heaven, Florida needs her!

Oh... We should have just shipped her off to Alabama, she loves getting prayed for!  LMAO...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Glad the local (Norfolk) NBC realized their hurricane tracker at the bottom of the screen was blocking the Packers/Bears score and moved their ticker to the top of the screen

Blocking the score was probably best.  

Would you tune in to a 7-3 4th qtr score?

• Haha (+1) 1

Well my lights just came back on. Went out about 5am this morning. Not too bad of a wait. Winds got up to 80mph here so wasn't as bad as it was at the coast. Lots of yard work to do of course. Big freakin limbs all over the yard. But all in all, it was about what I was expecting for where I am, hope everyone else in it's path manages to make it ok.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 2

• T&C changed the title to 2019 Hurricane Season (Potential TS #9)

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/weather/2019/09/12/tropics-potential-tropical-cyclone-forms--could-follow-dorian-s-path

"We expect it to move northwestward slowly the next couple of days, which could bring it close to the east coast of Florida this weekend.

After that is where the models diverge, with some of them taking it north while others just drift it across the state.

If it drifts across the state it will stay weak, but if it drifts north and stays over the Atlantic it will likely strengthen."

Updates to the models and forecast are in post #1.

• T&C changed the title to 2019 Hurricane Season