2019 Hurricane Season

T&C

Most OF THESE cyclones (cyclone is just a low) form in tropics.  They are tropical and go extratropical crossing over the Tropics of Cancer (& Capricorn).

I take that this one just formed @ higher mid-latitude.  It's an extratropical storm that forming.  Like many that form high in the Gulf.

No different than say a blizzard or snowstorm, Noreaster (double barrel lows up east coast).  It's just extratropical turning into a hurricane.  It is kinda strange since we expect the low to form in the tropics/low latitudes.

7 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

It has to do with where it was formed in the world. They have 3 names for it depending on where it took power. Hurricanes, Cyclones, Typhoons.

They are all cyclones. They are just named where they get formed in what part of the world's tropics. Hurricanes=W.Hemi.  Typhoon=cross the date line. Tropical cyclones=Indian Ocean.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, T&C said:

Pretty much this, have seen a ton of them form in the gulf. Been affected by probably 15 of these mofo's since moving to Florida and we are doing our best to get the hell out of this state asap.

I don't think I have either, a new "spin" on things.

Pretty much everywhere I look has it developing into a Cat.1.

TD-2-track.png

https://blog.myfoxhurricane.com/2019/07/10/tropical-depression-soon-to-form-likely-to-strengthen-and-move-west/?fbclid=IwAR0WxxHslPVWbwlef-_RYLVARzR_etSZ_r7gM74nw7pOjM83VAZb22yn9Rk

"It should be noted that the current forecast from the National Hurricane Center intensifies this into a category 1 hurricane."

Kirby J. bought a home down there..hope he'll be OK...thinking he's in Jefferson Parrish..

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Kirby J. bought a home down there..hope he'll be OK...thinking he's in Jefferson Parrish..

It looks like he's out of the probability become.  As it gets nearer to the edges of the predicted cone, the % goes down.

Even since Katrina, those cones that they put on the maps have become more and more accurate!

Watch where this thing tracks.  Save the old maps, they are almost spot on now!

But... THEN again.  We never landed on the moon... It was all done on a Hollywood set! 

/smh...

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

EDIT: FWIW... IIRC... @Kirby Jackson is near a pumping station, rebuilt canal that was reworked after Katrina and flows into the Pontchartrain... So he should be in good shape.  It's like having a brand new sump pump!!! ??

They already reporting lots of streets flooded over in the Jefferson Parrish area.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, T&C said:

The wife hates when I say this but why in the hell did someone decide to build NO below sea level when they are on the gulf. What do you expect? Plus, all of the freaking money spent to keep that place afloat. 

I often wondered that, so I finally looked it up a couple of years ago. Turns out, it wasn't built below sea level; people sank it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/02/how-humans-sank-new-orleans/552323/

https://www.nola.com/news/environment/article_9e74b44c-6aad-51b0-adcb-af07a317c966.html

https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2016/0518/How-fast-is-New-Orleans-sinking-Faster-and-faster-says-new-study

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Same question can be asked about Florida.it's swampland...filled with sinkholes ,especially in the region between Orlando and Tampa-St.Pete.

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Thanks! The Atlantic piece is awesone!!!

When the tornado touched down the other day it was 2 blocks from my house!! The dog and I spent about 30 minutes in the bathroom on the floor when we heard where it was. 

At any rate, I have the generator ready and we will see what happens. My house is pretty elevated so I highly doubt I will take on any water. It’s going to be more about the flooding and people being stuck. Just saw one report that said we may see 25 inches of rain in some spots!! That was from the head of the National Weather Service. That would be insane. It looks like it’s going to be slow moving like Isaac was. It is just going to sit over us and dump rain for the next few days. Just hoping that it all works out.

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

When the tornado touched down the other day it was 2 blocks from my house!! The dog and I spent about 30 minutes in the bathroom on the floor when we heard where it was. 

At any rate, I have the generator ready and we will see what happens. My house is pretty elevated so I highly doubt I will take on any water. It’s going to be more about the flooding and people being stuck. Just saw one report that said we may see 25 inches of rain in some spots!! That was from the head of the National Weather Service. That would be insane. It looks like it’s going to be slow moving like Isaac was. It is just going to sit over us and dump rain for the next few days. Just hoping that it all works out.

maybe you should go see your Aunt in Texas for the weekend?

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Stay safe!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Best of luck, stay safe.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Foxx said:

maybe you should go see your Aunt in Texas for the weekend?

Thought about evacuating but it’s my first storm in this house (and the house’s 1st storm). It shouldn’t be too bad for me so it’s probably a good trial run. 

It is kind of funny though because I woke up this morning and turned on the weather channel. I was thinking, “I wonder where exactly Jim Cantore is?” Cantore is roughly a mile from my house. I was like, “f@!$”

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Thought about evacuating but it’s my first storm in this house (and the house’s 1st storm). It shouldn’t be too bad for me so it’s probably a good trial run. 

It is kind of funny though because I woke up this morning and turned on the weather channel. I was thinking, “I wonder where exactly Jim Cantore is?” Cantore is roughly a mile from my house. I was like, “f@!$”

Were you able to stock up on supplies before the storm hit or were people cleaning out the store shelves before you were able to go shopping? 

Take care and be safe. 

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Were you able to stock up on supplies before the storm hit or were people cleaning out the store shelves before you were able to go shopping? 

Take care and be safe. 

You mean.....hit the store before all the beer is gone?

And yes, be safe and hoping for the best! Good luck in the new house! 

Edited by Augie

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

It is assumed that Kirby already had a bar room stocked with cases of beer. He needed to rush to the store to get bread, milk and Hershey bars before the onslaught of frantic neighbors getting ready to hunker down.  

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

Take care and be safe. 

7 hours ago, Augie said:

You are both right. The stores have been wiped out but I’m beyond prepared. I have anything and everything that I could possibly need. I do have A LOT of booze now too. I’ve been through enough of these now to know you can’t have too much :).

• Like (+1) 1

You are both right. The stores have been wiped out but I’m beyond prepared. I have anything and everything that I could possibly need. I do have A LOT of booze now too. I’ve been through enough of these now to know you can’t have too much :).

You have sometimes been accused of not being sober-minded. You now provide evidence to support that notion. May I gently offer you some words of advice?: Pace yourself. It is not a sprint---it is a marathon.  :)