Will our Young Corp Player be Able to Climb the Beane Stalk for Their Pot of Gold ??

The Bills have a lot of good players on the roster that Bean & company have drafted & given that our GM's way of building a team is through the draft when our younger yet more established corp players come due for their second contract given the amounts of these contracts do you think Bean will be able to come up with a contract that will allow them to stay or will they like other good Bills players of the past be on different teams ?

There are a number of players on the team now that could go for the big bucks & their play will back that up but i wonder just how much is to much for Bean to keep them

around ?

Tre White, Matt Millano, Jordan Poyer, Dawkins, are among those that come to mind first because they have been here for a few years & are closer to the ends of their contracts then the beginning of them, we have other corp players like Edmunds, Allen, Ford, Oliver that if they play to their respective draft status will also be among the list of players that could be looking at astronomical contracts .

I would think that QB & LT would be among those that could warrant the most cash when it comes time to re up but if Edmunds becomes a Ray Lewis type of player for the Bills he could also ask for more than some when in the negotiation process .

To this point Bean has been almost masterful at building contracts that benefit the Bills & leave them a out which has been the total opposite of past GM's the Bills have employed & i would think he will continue doing just that having the Bills financial best interest as a top motivating factor but the NFL contracts & cap both continue to increase so i just wonder how much is to much for Bean / 

What do you all think as Bills fans ? Will Bean be able to keep his young corp players at a decent contract keeping up with what the other players are asking in the NFL or who could be allowed to seek greener (contracts) pastures with other teams ? 

• Like (+1) 2

Not all good players will be signed. Some of them will walk.

Hate to say it, but we may let some good secondary players go. That's McDermott's bread and butter, and I think he can get the job done with young guys and castoffs from other teams. That might mean they are more inclined to let guys walk instead of paying them big bucks. Does that mean we let Tre White walk? We'll see what the priority is in keeping this secondary together.

5 minutes ago, R Y G A R said:

I thought it was rainbows that led to the pot 'o gold. 

Sorry didn't have enough room for the goose that lays the golden egg thing ? but you get my drift ? 

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Not all good players will be signed. Some of them will walk.

Hate to say it, but we may let some good secondary players go. That's McDermott's bread and butter, and I think he can get the job done with young guys and castoffs from other teams. That might mean they are more inclined to let guys walk instead of paying them big bucks. Does that mean we let Tre White walk? We'll see what the priority is in keeping this secondary together.

I think you're on to something there and history does show this.

When he was in Carolina they let Josh Norman go (although he doesn't really scream a process kind of guy), but kept the d-line and Lbs intact.  I think if they are going to go young and cut the heavy $$$, it'll be with the D-backs.

This is a great thread T Master!

I always try to remember that the personnel and coaching staff see these guys every day.  They know work habits, they know lifestyles, they know significant others, they know cultural fit, etc.   At some point (likely not until Josh's second contract is more immediate on the horizon (if Josh earns it)); they will have to make some priority decisions on second contracts for the young core you mentioned.   So we are talking the 2021 off-season where they start to manage the cap by making decisions on stricter priorities caused by a then $25-30 Million a year hit for a franchise QB.

The good news is that Beane and McDermott are in lock step and they are both long term and short term thinkers.  By that I mean, from now on they will prepare to field a playoff team every year.  They will fill holes via UFA to do it. They mostly won't be huge deals in the market place, unless its a player younger than 26 or 27 (for positions other than RB) and 24 or 25 for a RB that they target.  We started to see that this year. All but one of the OL signed (Morse) is essentially on a one year prove it deal with little cap implication for cutting.  Kroft is a one year prove it deal.  Brown and Beasley are both $3 Million dead money to cut after this year and about $1.5 Million to cut after the second year.

Top 100 draft choices are gold -- you have the player for 4-5 years on the cheap and this is how you build and replenish the core.  That's why you draft Cody Ford even after signing virtually every upper second tier OL UFA on the market. 

So what's that mean for the young core -- considering and hoping Josh commands a $25-30M..you start looking at a few things for each impending young core UFA:

1) The total body of work of the player.  Is his play style sustainable through the bulk of the second contract.  Do we see any deterioration physically?  Is he one night on the town away from running over someone on Chippewa???

2) How does the player's position stack up in UFA and the Draft...is there someone we like better this year or next? Long term is sometimes a two year cycle.

3) How strong is the coaching at the position?  Do we have a sustainer in the role or a developer?  If we brought in a new position coach, would we let this guy go?  Or if we are keeping this coach has he developed a great relationship with this guy that can get the most out of the player?

4) If we let the player go and we just can't find an immediate replacement, what is our depth like?  How much drop off will there be?  Is there an impact to special teams if we promote depth.

This is complex ***** and for the first time in a while we have people in roles I think can handle this.  We will see guys go and we will wonder why and we will react with our normal measured craziness, but overall I think Beane and McDermott will make good choices.  We won't know why and it will bug the crap out of us...but they will have reasons for the moves.

BTW, Milano will be a good test case--smallish with great speed and instincts.  Injury prone the older he gets.  In year three, do you offer a reasonable 4 year extension or do you let him go?  I also think Bargaining Brandon is not going to let assets leave without at least assessing their trade value before time runs out.

Long answer -- but I hope it makes sense.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 3

Dawkins hasn't shown anything to be re signed yet

He actually regressed in his second year and admitted to not grinding hard enough

He needs to put together 2 solid back to back years before I'd re sign

Tre I would start negotiating and if Milano looks like he hasn't missed a step from Injury I'd work with him too

5 hours ago, T master said:

The Bills have a lot of good players on the roster that Bean & company have drafted & given that our GM's way of building a team is through the draft when our younger yet more established corp players come due for their second contract given the amounts of these contracts do you think Bean will be able to come up with a contract that will allow them to stay or will they like other good Bills players of the past be on different teams ?

There are a number of players on the team now that could go for the big bucks & their play will back that up but i wonder just how much is to much for Bean to keep them around ?

It depends on how much they want to break the bank and underestimate fellow players and scheme in their ability to play well.  If they want the MOST money they will go to desperate team which they will pay more and expect them to carry the load.  Peerless Price being taken by Atlanta and lasting only two years is a good example. He had a lower completion percentage and less yards and was out as soon as they could afford it.  If they do they could end up on list like this: https://nflspinzone.com/2019/02/12/nfl-free-agency-30-worst-free-agency-signings-century/

Warning: site is one of the one at a time per page to show most ads so use browser with adblock.

Edited by Limeaid

Well, we have 22.5 mil roundabout and probably will increase about 10 mil with cuts, and probably another 10 mil from the normal yearly increase.  We have a bunch of prove it deals, so Beane will resign who he can, and extend guys like White, as long as he doesn’t want a mint.

I wouldn’t worry about it just like the draft until next February.  They purged a ton of stupid contracts, and are building for what we hope is long term success.  Just remember with Allen on a rookie deal, it allows for other more expensive contracts.

They'll try and re-sign as many of the guys they drafted as possible, as well as FA's they picked up in the recent past.  I doubt Beane will want a large player turnover and will try to limit that, especially with "their guys." Players like Tre White, Poyer, Hyde, and Milano I expect to be re-signed.

Then there are guys on the bubble such as Dion Dawkins and Shaq Lawson, where this is a "prove it" year.  If those players show improvement and look to be trending up, they will should be kept.  If not, they are expendable.

In general, Beane said he wants to build primarily through the draft, so it makes sense to keep as many of the guys he drafted as he can for long term veteran status.