There are still 5 unsigned Rd#1 draft picks

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

you are not, he is signed 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not sure if tongue in cheek but Knox is signed 

Yep, I knew.  Just riffing-off of that almost-epic Knox thread from weeks ago.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was offsets and SB payout timing. They always pay it out in increments into the next year, he wanted it all up front so he could start earning interest on it. They gave in on the offsets I think. 

That sounds right.  The Chargers seem to do stuff like that a lot though.  I understand that both sides have to negotiate, but they are one of the teams that comes off as Bush League.  They could’ve had that final deal from the start.  Instead, they held it up and created unnecessary drama and ill will.  Plus they contributed to their bad reputation.  They literally went after something that the agent could not agree to without costing himself his business.

Poor management has been a long standing problem for the Chargers.  That was the reason Eli Manning wouldn’t play there and it certainly was alluded to at that time.  Now we have the Melvin Gordon situation playing out.  I’m sure this has been festering and only now becoming public (by Gordon) since the season is drawing near.  I’m not one to always be on the side of the player or team or league.  There are problem agents, problem teams, players, GMs, HCs, etc.  The Chargers are a problem team.

16 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Offset is not the only negotiating point..timing of the bonus matters a ton too. Older Bosa argued over offset true, but Chargers wanted to pay signing bonus over installments..i think 3 payments over the course of the year but i could be wrong there. May not seem like a big deal...but think of $18 M or whatever and what that earns in a year..it matters

quick search yielded this

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/the-joey-bosa-chargers-contract-dispute-explained

Yea - deferred money is a big thing agents hate.  The nationals big harper offer of 10 and 300 was actually kind of BS, since a ton of salary was deferred payments.  Owners are always about that bottom line.

• Like (+1) 1