There are still 5 unsigned Rd#1 draft picks

46 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm glad we didn't draft any of those players.  And I am thankful the Pegula's are running the Bills now, and not Ralph.  I do not miss hold outs

It's easy to say that now that we have a rookie salary cap.

I don't remember first round holdouts being that prominent with the Bills when Ralph was the owner.

4 of the 5 are in the top 6 picks.  Burns was pick 16.  My guess is Burns heard they are scrimmaging against the Bills early on & doesn't want to be embarrassed and will sign as soon as the scrimmages are done.  

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

It's easy to say that now that we have a rookie salary cap.

I don't remember first round holdouts being that prominent with the Bills when Ralph was the owner.

They didn't hold out, they just went to other leagues when Ralph was the owner.  Cousineau is still the only #1 pick in the NFL draft to sign with the CFL & we lost Kelly for 3 NFL seasons.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dneveu said:

Same agent is probably more like it.  Teams have to pay them the full amount it all comes down to offset language.  

Same agency, different agent

All these guys will sign by TC. I don’t think Allen was signed yet either at this time last year. 

39 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

4 of the 5 are in the top 6 picks.  Burns was pick 16.  My guess is Burns heard they are scrimmaging against the Bills early on & doesn't want to be embarrassed and will sign as soon as the scrimmages are done.  

They didn't hold out, they just went to other leagues when Ralph was the owner.  Cousineau is still the only #1 pick in the NFL draft to sign with the CFL & we lost Kelly for 3 NFL seasons.  

Thanks Ralph. :thumbdown:

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Teams arguing over offset language is really stupid. You either trust yourself and your scouts to make the right draft pick or you don’t. 

This x 1,0000!!! If I were an owner I’d immediately concede on it. It feels cheap and threatening. If I were a GM and couldn’t concede on this I’d be watching out because CLEARLY ownership doesn’t trust me.

47 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Kelly was ready to sign, but then his agent stopped him when he found out he was going to be a starter in the USFL.

Losing players to the USFL is hardly unique towards the Bills.

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Bosas' attitude on this stuff was sufficiently bad that I thought any team selecting him was a fool.  Lots of other talents around.

Bosa is alt-right by me!

• Haha (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Kelly was ready to sign, but then his agent stopped him when he found out he was going to be a starter in the USFL.

Losing players to the USFL is hardly unique towards the Bills.

I can think of only 2 other 1st round picks (Gary Anderson & Keith Millard) who signed with the USFL.  So 3 players in 3 years the USFL existed is kind of unique.  One of the reasons it was so hard to lose a 1st rounder to the USFL was because the draft was in the middle of the USFL season.  Of the 3, only Anderson played the same USFL season he was drafted, and he missed half the season,  the other 2 lost a full season by having to wait to play the year after they were drafted (Kelly 1983 draft, 1st USFL season 1984; Millard 1984 draft, 1st USFL season 1985)).  For the most part, the big name rookies who signed with the USFL signed before the NFL draft & were not 1st round picks due to their contract status.  Eventually the NFL had a supplemental draft of USFL players who had signed with the USFL & were not drafted as a result of their USFL commitment.  Unfortunately it came at the wrong time for the Bills because it was held in June 1984 after the 1983 season and the Bills hadn't bottomed out, so we were 14th & ended up drafting Dwight Drane , Daryl Hart, & Don Corbin in the 3 round draft.  The top 4 picks were Steve Young, Mike Rozier, Gary Zimmerman & Reggie White.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Those are 2 instances like 35 years ago

TONS of players signed with the USFL and the AFL etc over the NFL back in the day. It didn't mean those teams were inept

It means the USFL teams offered more money or Playing time or both

If we lost a player to the CFL in 01 you'd have a more valid point but cousineau is soooo long ago