Film Junkies alert: player Jamal Adams breakdown

This is from last month, but I found it to be really interesting having a player do the film analysis vs couch analyst's work.   Yes he's a NYJet, but it was good enough for me to overlook.  

A LOT of time is spent describing the visual cues (tells) that he sees various players do and matches them with prior film study on that team.  I would say that it's more than just film study of individual players, but offensive system analysis to understand where the attack is likely to come from.

REALLY shows how much you have to have an offensive system that is flexible enough to regularly change/add wrinkles so as to not be predictable.   Predictability looks to be fatal.

• Like (+1) 1

He's a "good" player, but has nowhere near met the hype he received coming out of LSU. Neither has Malik Hooker for that matter. He's got a lot of mouth which in turn receives a lot of attention. I do like his physical play though I'm not trading my ball hawks for a decent thumper. It's not our style of D on the 4 man back side.

20 hours ago, Mark Long Beach said:

This is from last month, but I found it to be really interesting having a player do the film analysis vs couch analyst's work.   Yes he's a NYJet, but it was good enough for me to overlook.  

A LOT of time is spent describing the visual cues (tells) that he sees various players do and matches them with prior film study on that team.  I would say that it's more than just film study of individual players, but offensive system analysis to understand where the attack is likely to come from.

REALLY shows how much you have to have an offensive system that is flexible enough to regularly change/add wrinkles so as to not be predictable.   Predictability looks to be fatal.

Great stuff, keep it coming!

Yeah, like him, don't like him, it's the gouge on what he's looking for that I'm down with

16 hours ago, Bulletprooftiger said:

Am I the only person that thinks this dude is overrated?

I think he's a good player. The fact that he runs his mouth a lot doesn't make him any less of a good player.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I think he's a good player. The fact that he runs his mouth a lot doesn't make him any less of a good player.

I agree.  I also can't wait to run him over.    He's definitely seems like more of a contact guy than a finesse one.

I just really liked how he skipped over the big cues and highlighted the little ones which gave him the final piece to the play call.  When asked about the details he'd then tie it back to the bigger picture concepts. It was refreshing point of view compared to the analysts reporting (which I still very much enjoy)

21 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

All I know is he makes more money than either of our starting safeties and he doesn't perform better than either of them while costing the Jets the 6th overall draft pick.

Hyde makes more than Adams.  Both are excellent safeties.  I’d probably give Adams the nod, but I love Hyde as a player.  Poyer isn’t paid as much, but he isn’t as good as either.  Adams is still young too.  He can get better.  Dunno.  I’m really happy with the Bills safety duo and their contracts.  Adams is a stud though.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the kid is the safety version of Tre White in that I think he is probably somewhere between the 5th best and 10th best safety in the NFL (as Tre is between the 5th best and 10th best corner). But I think occasionally people rush to crown them the best. 

It is still McCourtey, Harrison Smith  and Eric Weddle 1,2,3 in some order. Personally I have Hyde and Malcolm Jenkins next and then Kevin Byard, Adams and Derwin James as the best of the new generation. Adams is going to be a stud for a long time. I say it a lot but that 2017 DB class was legit. 

On 7/9/2019 at 3:17 PM, Mark Long Beach said:

Great watch. I see folks think this guys isn’t much of a player.... don’t get it. 

His film study and what he keys off of and knows shows he’s classroom smart, football smart and seems like enough of an athlete to play like a linebacker vs run despite safety size. 

Heluva player and playmaker. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

I liked Adams in the draft. I'm curious if he'll be able to make more plays and take the ball away more. I see him as a good box safety at the moment. He has good coverage grades according to PFF, but I know a lot of Jets fans and they even complain about him not taking the ball away.