Malik McDowell Arrested

That cop gave him every chance to comply but the idiot just kept saying I need a Superviser. To be honest if I was that cop forget the damn stun gun I'm putting a bullet into your leg. When it got to the point where they were wrestling around the officer could have been easily disarmed by a man of that size and shot and killed with his own weapon. It might just be because I have more than a few family and friends who are cops but when I get pulled over my hands are on the top of the steering wheel until the officer instructs me otherwise. That guy is so so so so lucky that he was not shot.

3 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

No, that’s not the first thing they teach you in the academy. They *do* teach when it is justifiable to use the taser, though. I can assure you that it isn’t only justified after a suspect makes a move for a cops weapon. That’s a completely different level of force. 

I agree that polite, professionalism is the best way to handle all situations where compliance can be gained with it. The cop did not get out of his car barking profanities and orders. 

I will also (remind you?) that being assertive and dominant in situations where it is needed IS professional. A cop facing a physically resistant subject that is much larger and possesses much more apparent physical ability and strength calls for such assertiveness and verbal dominance. I’m not sure if they taught you that in your training in the USAF. 

Of course they did WTF are you talking about we receive the same training as the academy.

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

The officer told him to sit and he sat.

The officer then started using profanities, which was totally unnecessary.

He was sitting when he got tased.  I didn't see the need to tase him at that time.  From what I could see, he was being compliant and cooperative.

But after that, I think he got a little out of hand and should have definitely been arrested.

I tried my best to look at it from a neutral prospective but I have a hard time faulting the cop here, especially with the context from the rest of the article. Even just taking the video for what it is (out of context), you can see they were fighting before he ended up sitting on the ground. The cop was repeatedly telling him to go to his stomach,where he would have been in a secured position to handcuff. I understand Malik wanted to know what was going on, but the officers priority is to make sure this guy that's triple his size is secured and is no longer a threat. Had he complied and allowed himself to be cuffed it probably would have gone much better for him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Mark80 said:

He was wrestling with him already before he sat down.  As soon as that happens the whole encounter has changed.  Now the cops top priority is getting this guy in handcuffs some how, some way.  The man (a 6'6" mountain of a man mind you) sits but continues to ignore commands to lie down.  How are you going to handcuff a guy that size when he is sitting, back against a wall?  As noted in the article he is also suspected of being intoxicated in some way so who knows what he will do.  Then after being tased after refusing command after command after command, he gets up and lunges at the officer, eventually taking away his taser.  The guy is lucky he is not dead and it would be completely justified.  

And the profanities part?  Yeah, people always listen to "Will you please ..." in a calm voice in these circumstance.

Don’t you know being a cop means you are required to put your life completely at the mercy of the guy you’re trying to arrest before you’re allowed to use any force?

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Of course they did WTF are you talking about we receive the same training as the academy.

Ive known guys that were security forces in the USAF and they most assuredly did not receive the exact same training as civilian LEOs. Similar jobs, but definitely different as well. Have you been through the police academy in your state? If not, how would you know? Not trying to bust your chops too hard cuz I like most of your takes on football related things, but it’s pretty obvious you have a weak knowledge base on the topic of legal and justified use of force pertaining to LEOs. 

28 minutes ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

I tried my best to look at it from a neutral prospective but I have a hard time faulting the cop here, especially with the context from the rest of the article. Even just taking the video for what it is (out of context), you can see they were fighting before he ended up sitting on the ground. The cop was repeatedly telling him to go to his stomach,where he would have been in a secured position to handcuff. I understand Malik wanted to know what was going on, but the officers priority is to make sure this guy that's triple his size is secured and is no longer a threat. Had he complied and allowed himself to be cuffed it probably would have gone much better for him. 

My biggest problem with this is that there's no footage of what led to what happened inside the store.

I'll be honest ... my comments about the police officer swearing and tasing the guy unnecessarily were mostly tongue-in-cheek.

But without the context, it's difficult to judge either person.

I'm certainly in no position at all to criticize the police officer's actions.  It's pretty easy for me to say, "the guy was sitting and not moving, why not just let that be good enough until help arrived?"  I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why ... and I'm also sure that I don't know them.

What I commend the officer for, most, is that he kept his gun in the holster.  We need more police officers like that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Taking bets on the following posts:

$1 for "Should we kick the tires?" by post #12

$2 for "The cop can't arrest a guy for getting out of his car" by post #18

$5 for "Talent trumps character...sign him" by post #27

What are the odds on calling this post stupid? I must have to bet like 50 to win a buck.

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

What are the odds on calling this post stupid? I must have to bet like 50 to win a buck.

This post is stupid. 

Now give me my ***** money.

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Ive known guys that were security forces in the USAF and they most assuredly did not receive the exact same training as civilian LEOs. Similar jobs, but definitely different as well. Have you been through the police academy in your state? If not, how would you know? Not trying to bust your chops too hard cuz I like most of your takes on football related things, but it’s pretty obvious you have a weak knowledge base on the topic of legal and justified use of force pertaining to LEOs. 

Soft post. Go after him if you're gonna do it.

Just now, Gugny said:

This post is stupid. 

Now give me my ***** money.

I owe you a buck.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

That cop gave him every chance to comply but the idiot just kept saying I need a Superviser. To be honest if I was that cop forget the damn stun gun I'm putting a bullet into your leg. When it got to the point where they were wrestling around the officer could have been easily disarmed by a man of that size and shot and killed with his own weapon. It might just be because I have more than a few family and friends who are cops but when I get pulled over my hands are on the top of the steering wheel until the officer instructs me otherwise. That guy is so so so so lucky that he was not shot.

If I'm that cop and that dude continues to lunge at me like that and takes my stun gun I'm unloading a clip in him. They don't have the ability of foresight and has no clue what this guys intentions actually are.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

If I'm that cop and that dude continues to lunge at me like that and takes my stun gun I'm unloading a mag in him. They don't have the ability of foresight and has no clue what this guys intentions actually are.

Gotta be “that guy.” ?

49 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My biggest problem with this is that there's no footage of what led to what happened inside the store.

I'll be honest ... my comments about the police officer swearing and tasing the guy unnecessarily were mostly tongue-in-cheek.

But without the context, it's difficult to judge either person.

I'm certainly in no position at all to criticize the police officer's actions.  It's pretty easy for me to say, "the guy was sitting and not moving, why not just let that be good enough until help arrived?"  I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why ... and I'm also sure that I don't know them.

What I commend the officer for, most, is that he kept his gun in the holster.  We need more police officers like that.

Its fair to question what led to the issue, but the video shows a cop within his rights with a hostile suspect/criminal (criminal for fighting a cop at very least). 

On the one hand, I agree that it’s good he didn’t pull the gun. On the other, there’s a super plausible alternate ending to this where cop gets beaten to death by this behemoth of a man because the non-lethal didn’t do squat and he wasn’t ready with the lethal. Glad both parties emerged fine, but I don’t think it’s a great idea for cops to go mano-e-mano with guys who look like they’ve had craps bigger than the cop. 

Edited by whatdrought

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Gotta be “that guy.” ?

Its fair to question what led to the issue, but the video shows a cop within his rights with a hostile suspect/criminal (criminal for fighting a cop at very least). 

On the one hand, I agree that it’s good he didn’t pull the gun. On the other, there’s a super plausible alternate ending to this where cop gets beaten to death by this behemoth of a man because the non-lethal didn’t do squat and he wasn’t ready with the lethal. Glad both parties emerged fine, but I don’t think it’s a great idea for cops to go mano-e-mano with guys who look like they’ve had craps bigger than the cop. 

Which is why I wonder why the police officer just didn't leave well enough alone when the dude was sitting down.  He knew help was going to be there within seconds (which it was).

Again ... very easy for me to say.

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Gotta be “that guy.” ?

Always! But its an Honest opinion also

Just now, Gugny said:

Which is why I wonder why the police officer just didn't leave well enough alone when the dude was sitting down.  He knew help was going to be there within seconds (which it was).

Yeah- as I said above, that seemed dumb. I think (from my tiny contextual perspective) It would have been good to use it as a chance to calm everything down and wait to get the situation in control. He might have had issue with the fact that he was against the door from which help was to come... who knows. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

He didn't just leave him sitting there because if you watch the video you can see how fast a person can get up and charge you. Before all else cops need to get him into cuffs then speak with him.

12 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Newsflash: cop is in control of the traffic stop. Like it or not, it’s the way it is. Ask. Tell. Make. When people show themselves to be resistant to instructions, commands are next, and they usually don’t go with “pretty please”. 

Exhibit A of how to lose control of a situation by trying to be “nice”:

Thats a hard video to watch.. never want to assume I know the answers, but at the same time, there has to be a better way to handle that. Wouldn’t you want to stand in place and use less Lethal with lethal as backup?