Malik McDowell Arrested

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yet he struggle to get the cop off his feet.

No wonder this guy busted out of the league--can't put down 5 foot guy.

Or perhaps he was trying to show some restraint because anything more could have resulted in his immediate death? Had he pile drived that cop his partner would have killed him

4 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Or perhaps he was trying to show some restraint because anything more could have resulted in his immediate death? Had he pile drived that cop his partner would have killed him

He was clearly trying to knock that cop down....and struggling.  

If he was worried about “immediate death”,  he would have gotten prone on the ground. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Nelius said:

So to you restraint = going easy on the cop while scuffling with him...? Holy **** , that’s crazy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

The officer told him to sit and he sat.

The officer then started using profanities, which was totally unnecessary.

He was sitting when he got tased.  I didn't see the need to tase him at that time.  From what I could see, he was being compliant and cooperative.

But after that, I think he got a little out of hand and should have definitely been arrested.

I think the cop should have waited for backup, but he was sitting on the ground after already having fought with the cop, and then when the cop told him to get on his stomach (so he can put cuffs on him and end the confrontation) he refused and sat there. That's when he got tazed. Cop didn't do anything "wrong," but thinking a taser was gonna do the trick, and not letting him sit there until he had backup was just a dumb move. 

In other news, that tiny cop is a straight G for taking on that much man and seemingly surviving....

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Ya know, this guy would cost noting to bring in pre- camp on a tryout, and after all we got an organization that just drafted a coach defying  coat wearing wearing malcontent so  talent is obviouly more  important to this team now...and it seems to me he did nothing wrong, cop had a Napoleon complex looked to ,me

I say all before post 12..i win...pay the man ees money!

I’ll bet you at some point his parents put coal under their Christmas tree. ? 

31 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think the cop should have waited for backup, but he was sitting on the ground after already having fought with the cop, and then when the cop told him to get on his stomach (so he can put cuffs on him and end the confrontation) he refused and sat there. That's when he got tazed. Cop didn't do anything "wrong," but thinking a taser was gonna do the trick, and not letting him sit there until he had backup was just a dumb move. 

In other news, that tiny cop is a straight G for taking on that much man and seemingly surviving....

...have to agree bud...in this day and age, open a news website with your morning coffee to see how many cops were killed overnight.....knowing cops are jumpy and wondering if they're next, why not just do what you are told?......wrong era to confront a cop IMO.....

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Whatever faint hope he had on the NFL is now gone.

You're right.  He'd have already had to have been an established star in order for the NFL (and fans) to forgive him.

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It is difficult to see what happened right before he sat him on the ground.....but there does appear to be a scuffle

Did the NFL player make contact with the officer at that point?

I really dont like when officers start cussing when giveng commands......and maybe it actually escalated the situation BUT......but these guys do have a job to do as well.

Newsflash: cop is in control of the traffic stop. Like it or not, it’s the way it is. Ask. Tell. Make. When people show themselves to be resistant to instructions, commands are next, and they usually don’t go with “pretty please”. 

Exhibit A of how to lose control of a situation by trying to be “nice”:

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Newsflash: cop is in control of the traffic stop. Like it or not, it’s the way it is. Ask. Tell. Make. When people show themselves to be resistant to instructions, commands are next, and they usually don’t go with “pretty please”. 

Exhibit A of how to lose control of a situation by trying to be “nice”:

Sorry.....but like I said in my original post

I cant see what is going on prior to the video...if at ANY time Malik made a move to the officer's weapon he should just be tazed at that point and no explanation needed

but

The police offer IS the professional in this situation....and the first thing they teach you at the Police Acadamy (and I was a security policemen in the Air Force...it is taught there as well) elevated tone of voice and profanity cause aggression....not suppression....IF the detainee has not shown aggression then clear calm instructions come first....then esculate as the scenario plays out.......and profanity is NEVER needed because it is belittling.

That is my opinion

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

The officer told him to sit and he sat.

The officer then started using profanities, which was totally unnecessary.

He was sitting when he got tased.  I didn't see the need to tase him at that time.  From what I could see, he was being compliant and cooperative.

But after that, I think he got a little out of hand and should have definitely been arrested.

He wasn't complying. He refused to get on his stomach (so that the officer could cuff him). He was warned like 1 million times that he would get tased if he didn't get on his stomach, and he was fighting with the cop before then, so I really see nothing wrong with how the cop handled this.

I've seen plenty of videos of cops power tripping and being ridiculous, but I don't think this is one of those.

And wow, that taser really did nothing. Probably should have turned up the power or something.

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I cant see what is going on prior to the video...if at ANY time Malik made a move to the officer's weapon he should just be tazed at that point and no explanation needed

but

The police offer IS the professional in this situation....and the first thing they teach you at the Police Acadamy (and I was a security policemen in the Air Force...it is taught there as well) elevated tone of voice and profanity cause aggression....not suppression....IF the detainee has not shown aggression then clear calm instructions come first....then esculate as the scenario plays out.......and profanity is NEVER needed because it is belittling.

That is my opinion

They were struggling before he was on the ground. The situation had already been escalated and had already been physical.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

but

That is my opinion

Sounds like you were very well taught John and thank you for bringing a very valuable perspective to the discussion. 

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

but

That is my opinion

No, that’s not the first thing they teach you in the academy. They *do* teach when it is justifiable to use the taser, though. I can assure you that it isn’t only justified after a suspect makes a move for a cops weapon. That’s a completely different level of force. 

I agree that polite, professionalism is the best way to handle all situations where compliance can be gained with it. The cop did not get out of his car barking profanities and orders. 

I will also (remind you?) that being assertive and dominant in situations where it is needed IS professional. A cop facing a physically resistant subject that is much larger and possesses much more apparent physical ability and strength calls for such assertiveness and verbal dominance. I’m not sure if they taught you that in your training in the USAF. 

Edited by Sig1Hunter
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Nelius said:

Read the article and watch the video.

He put his hands on the cop an tried to force him to the ground twice.  He made a grab for the Taser.  Clearly he wasn't worried about "immediate death".  He wasn't the one showing ANY restraint...

• Like (+1) 1