Having a hard time talking myself out of 10 wins for this team...

eball

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I get this... I really do. but if we look back at that Monday night game last year, they would have most likely won that game with about 31 other qb's in the nfl not named Anderson or Peterman. 

that game was 12-6 in favor of the pats with 10 min left in the 4th. it was just a train wreck for the bills offense. the bills d had brady and that offense completely bottled up all game. so with that being said i'm picking a split, with the win being at home in week 4

I applaud your faith!

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Did you just look at the box score for that Patriots game? 

Zay was non existent up until the last drive of the game when the game was well out of reach. 

There's no question he's improved from the disaster he was in 2017. He still has big issues in struggles getting separation and catching the football along with consistency. He look good against the Dolphins and the next week against the Jets he was dropping balls all over the field. 

At at this point he's an average reciever, probably a borderline #3 option on most teams.

I'm not about to predict that Zay Jones will suddenly become a star, but he was an incredibly accomplished receiver in college who did not drop balls.  That has to be mental.  Also, 2019 is Zay's first true offseason of participation because last year he was recovering from his Vegas escapade.  By all accounts he has added upper body strength and has been working on his route running.  He knows the offense, and he was able to create some chemistry with Josh last season.

If we are ever going to see something out of Zay it will be this year...and I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Jobot said:

I think on paper this team has enough playoff level talent.  The main factors that will determine playoffs for me are as follows:

1-Josh Allen Development

2-Can the offensive line gel quick enough

I don't expect much clarity to either of these items until midway through the season.  So my hopes are that the team can stay close to .500 while they come together.

This.

While it’s very possible to open the season strong, it’s also quite possible that the offense may have some bumps in the road in the first half of the season until they really come together.  I mean most the offense has been turned over, so people will need to have patience early on if their are some ups and downs.

Although we all know TSW won’t be patient lol.  First loss there will be 100 each of “Fire Beane”, “Fire McD”, and “Allen is a bust” threads.  We could open up 3-0 and still this will happen if we lose week 4 lol.

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Although we all know TSW won’t be patient lol.  First loss there will be 100 each of “Fire Beane”, “Fire McD”, and “Allen is a bust” threads.  We could open up 3-0 and still this will happen if we lose week 4 lol.

Nah, if that happens there will just be a vocal "Belichick owns McD" contingent.

Anyway, I agree with your other point about bumps in the road for the offense early.  That's where the team's strength (D) comes into play.  And can the "bumps" this year's O faces still be any worse than what Josh was dealing with last season?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I get this... I really do. but if we look back at that Monday night game last year, they would have most likely won that game with about 31 other qb's in the nfl not named Anderson or Peterman. 

that game was 12-6 in favor of the pats with 10 min left in the 4th. it was just a train wreck for the bills offense. the bills d had brady and that offense completely bottled up all game. so with that being said i'm picking a split, with the win being at home in week 4

That is true but honestly, did you really think the Bills had any chance? I didnt.  Pats were in control the entire game.

And we did next to nothing to shore up our run defense this year.  Pats get their 1st rd O Lineman back this year, added O line in the draft and a RB.  Sorry but I dont see how we are going to be able to stop them running right up our gut like they did the last game for 274 yards. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

That is true but honestly, did you really think the Bills had any chance? I didnt.  Pats were in control the entire game.

And we did next to nothing to shore up our run defense this year.  Pats get their 1st rd O Lineman back this year, added O line in the draft and a RB.  Sorry but I dont see how we are going to be able to stop them running right up our gut like they did the last game for 274 yards. 

not with the qb's that were dressed.... I think you may have missed my point.

that bills d had brady completely stifled for 3.5 quarters.... there are about 25-30 other qbs in the league that would have won that game for buffalo. 

lets not pretend that 2nd game against the pats was more than just an exception to the rule.... even with that awful performance they were still an average run d... in fact I may have to go back and look it up but i'm almost certain they were top 10 in yards given up per rush.

EDIT: just looked it up. 16th in rush yds allowed and 10th in ypc. so i'm not gonna use one game as how I think they'll fair all year. or even again against the pats.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They had a few awful performances on the ground.

I believe they ranked 15th in the league against the run.... Jacksonville had their way with them as well.

16th. and then 10th in ypc…. my point is lets not use the worst game of the year for the run defense as the foundation of an argument. its pretty apparent it was an outlier.

why is it that his reference to the 270 yd debacle on the ground has anymore merit than the first game when the d basically shutdown brady for 3.5 quarters with absolutely NO HELP from the offense?.... I guess because it fits the narrative trying to be projected.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

For the past 59 years I've gone into each season optimistic (even as a 5 year old that first year).  I have a hard time seeing them get to 10 wins (given they already have two losses penciled in with the Pats, who as long as the y have Brady and Belichick I'll continue to write off), but anything's possible!  I think a 9-7 record and playoff appearance is in the cards.

I think 9-7 might be hard to sneak into the playoffs this year.  Unfortunately I still expect the Pats to win the division which leads 2 spots left.  The Chargers/Chiefs/Steelers/Browns all look pretty solid if they don’t win their division.  I think the Jags will improve too.  It’s a more stronger AFC than 2017.  Jmo 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I think 9-7 might be hard to sneak into the playoffs this year.  Unfortunately I still expect the Pats to win the division which leads 2 spots left.  The Chargers/Chiefs/Steelers/Browns all look pretty solid if they don’t win their division.  I think the Jags will improve too.  It’s a more stronger AFC than 2017.  Jmo 

Could very well be right

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

16th. and then 10th in ypc…. my point is lets not use the worst game of the year for the run defense as the foundation of an argument. its pretty apparent it was an outlier.

why is it that his reference to the 270 yd debacle on the ground has anymore merit than the first game when the d basically shutdown brady for 3.5 quarters with absolutely NO HELP from the offense?.... I guess because it fits the narrative trying to be projected.

Because now Belichek learned the Bills cant atop the run.  It isnt exactly rocket science.   Do you really think belichek will do much different in the next Bills match up, as I have stated several times the Pats have gotten stronger in the run dept and what have we done to shore up our run d?  next to nothing, got a rd 1 arguably undersized penetrating DT, the Pats will either run right through the gap Oliver leaves in his wake or will blow him out.  We have quick mostly rangey LBers more effective in the pass defense.

Next game versus the Pats I believe are are going to have to prove that we can stop their run. Leslie Frazier has a very tough assignment.

15 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I won't take the bait but I think anywhere between 7-9 wins is realistic. You're really going to troll me over saying 14 wins is insane?

You realize we're talking the Bills and not the Sabres right?

Its a long shot but you never know.  I garuantee  some of the easy teams will be better than expected and some of the tough teams will play poorly.  It happens every season.

14 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Because now Belichek learned the Bills cant atop the run.  It isnt exactly rocket science.   Do you really think belichek will do much different in the next Bills match up, as I have stated several times the Pats have gotten stronger in the run dept and what have we done to shore up our run d?  next to nothing, got a rd 1 arguably undersized penetrating DT, the Pats will either run right through the gap Oliver leaves in his wake or will blow him out.  We have quick mostly rangey LBers more effective in the pass defense.

Next game versus the Pats I believe are are going to have to prove that we can stop their run. Leslie Frazier has a very tough assignment.

this is all fair.... but lets not forget Milano was out that 2nd game and he was an absolute HEAT SEEKER that first game. I like the bills at home early in the season. pats havnt exactly astounded in the first month of the season recently.

5 hours ago, eball said:

I'm not about to predict that Zay Jones will suddenly become a star, but he was an incredibly accomplished receiver in college who did not drop balls.  That has to be mental.  Also, 2019 is Zay's first true offseason of participation because last year he was recovering from his Vegas escapade.  By all accounts he has added upper body strength and has been working on his route running.  He knows the offense, and he was able to create some chemistry with Josh last season.

If we are ever going to see something out of Zay it will be this year...and I'm cautiously optimistic.

I think Zay will be our top WR and top 15 in the NFL if Josh takes significant steps forward and I believe he will.

22 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The Bills had a hard time stoping the run after several injuries and being worn out from to much time on the field.  I expect improvement from both Philips this season and I believe Oliver will upgrade the line.

28 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think the Bills will be a lot better this season, and I expect them to beat the Patriots once this season.   It's a real benefit to get them at home early in the season.  The pats always improve a lot when as the season progresses; every year they look beatable and actually lose a few in the first six weeks.   

Still, I don't see the Bills being much better than 9-7.  Sure, they've gotten better, but the league improves every year, and winning isn't going to be easy. 

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Ed Oliver is nothing?  H. Phillips will now be in year 2.  J. Phillips I believe will be improved as will Edmunds.  I dont quite get your did nothing to improve statement.  They did what they needed to the D last offseason and added a few pieces this offseason, while focusing on the O. An improved Offense was the best possible thing that could be done for the D.  Unless you dont think the amount of time the O spends on the field effects the D.

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think the Bills will be a lot better this season, and I expect them to beat the Patriots once this season.   It's a real benefit to get them at home early in the season.  The pats always improve a lot when as the season progresses; every year they look beatable and actually lose a few in the first six weeks.   

Still, I don't see the Bills being much better than 9-7.  Sure, they've gotten better, but the league improves every year, and winning isn't going to be easy. 

Not so sure about that.  We have almost an entirely new offensive line, new WRs , TEs, i think the Bills could be very very shakey on offense for mutliple weeks to start the season, sure hope I am wrong.  

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Ed Oliver is nothing?  H. Phillips will now be in year 2.  J. Phillips I believe will be improved as will Edmunds.  I dont quite get your did nothing to improve statement.  They did what they needed to the D last offseason and added a few pieces this offseason, while focusing on the O. An improved Offense was the best possible thing that could be done for the D.  Unless you dont think the amount of time the O spends on the field effects the D.

I dont think a rookie Ed Oliver is well suited to stop the run, esp versus brady/belichek.  Edmunds improvement is extremely critical, that i agree with, let see if it happens.  Yes other players can improve, hopefully.  At the same time, the PAts O line should be stronger and they added real depth.

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Not so sure about that.  We have almost an entirely new offensive line, new WRs , TEs, i think the Bills could be very very shakey on offense for mutliple weeks to start the season, sure hope I am wrong.  

I dont think a rookie Ed Oliver is well suited to stop the run, esp versus brady/belichek.  Edmunds improvement is extremely critical, that i agree with, let see if it happens.  Yes other players can improve, hopefully.  At the same time, the PAts O line should be stronger and they added real depth.

And the improvements to our Offense, which believe it or not is the most critical element I stated.  And Ed Oliver was a man among boys in college, they couldnt stop him at times with triple teams.  Maybe Im wrong but we are probably talking about the NFL DROY.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

this is what I've been trying to say as well. the last 2 seasons they've gotten off to 2-2 starts and that's happened 3 of the last 5 seasons as well.

if our bills are improved like we think then that game at home in week 4 should be very winnable.

15 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Of course you may be right, but you aren't responding to the point.  The point is that the Patriots are a much better team in the second half of the season than the first.   The Patriots we all think of as unbeatable are the second half of the season Patriots.   In the fourth week of the season, you will have two mediocre NFL teams playing each other, and the Bills will be at home.  That's why I think the Bills have a good shot at winning the game.  

Why are the Patriots so much better in the second half of the season?  Two reasons:  First, the Patriots get better every week, by design.  Belichick keeps taeching them more and more, and more variety, so that by the second half of the season they can come at you in a variety of ways.  They can be a running team, a passing team, a burn the clock team, whatever they want.  In the first half of the season they are more limited.   Second, by the second half of the season, most other teams have become set in their ways, and by studying film of the previous three or four weeks Belichick has a very good idea of what the opponent is going to do.   In the first half of the season, teams haven't settled into a particular style yet, and they are tougher to prepare for.   

Early in the season is the time to play them  

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Of course you may be right, but you aren't responding to the point.  The point is that the Patriots are a much better team in the second half of the season than the first.   The Patriots we all think of as unbeatable are the second half of the season Patriots.   In the fourth week of the season, you will have two mediocre NFL teams playing each other, and the Bills will be at home.  That's why I think the Bills have a good shot at winning the game.  

Why are the Patriots so much better in the second half of the season?  Two reasons:  First, the Patriots get better every week, by design.  Belichick keeps taeching them more and more, and more variety, so that by the second half of the season they can come at you in a variety of ways.  They can be a running team, a passing team, a burn the clock team, whatever they want.  In the first half of the season they are more limited.   Second, by the second half of the season, most other teams have become set in their ways, and by studying film of the previous three or four weeks Belichick has a very good idea of what the opponent is going to do.   In the first half of the season, teams haven't settled into a particular style yet, and they are tougher to prepare for.   

Early in the season is the time to play them  

Solid points.

I am not so sure I am buying everything you write, that Belichek is some kinds of demi-god that is so vastly superior to the entire NFL, esp with the way players/coaches constantly move around.  There is no "magic" to what Belichek has been doing, it is called hard work.    His two other huge benefits are 1) consistency which ties into 2) Brady. imagine every year for the past 18? the NFLs number one concern, the QB, is an afterthought for the pats.  they have 95% certainty that Brady will finish the season, and to top it of he gives them a home town discount.  Talk about incredible benefit, that is as powerful as any.

• Like (+1) 1