Having a hard time talking myself out of 10 wins for this team...

eball

53 minutes ago, eball said:

With the days winding down until training camp starts I'm becoming more and more convinced that only a rash of key injuries will prevent McD's third team from compiling at least 10 wins and a playoff spot.  The schedule is favorable, particularly early, which means an already established defense (boosted by Ed Oliver) should be able to not only hold their own but control games.  This is the third year for many of these guys in the defense.  The secondary is second to none (can this even be disputed?).  Edmunds got a "free" year of NFL schooling, added bulk, and should now be playing rather than thinking.  Milano was a budding star before his leg snapped.  If the offense merely improves from awful to average that should be good enough.  Special teams can't be worse -- the Bills added one of the premiere return men in the game and washed the stale taste of Danny Crossman from our mouths.  Heath Farwell is energetic and ambitious, he has the respect of players because he was one of them, and I think he'll have guys trying to run through walls for his ST.

And let's talk about the offense.  Last year it was bad.  Through nine games, historically bad.  But then something happened.  Josh Allen returned from injury and made plays.  Enough plays to show us what he's capable of (as well as what he needs to work on).  More importantly, he got eleven weeks of coaching and preparing for NFL competition as "the man."  Through the final seven weeks of the season the Bills bore resemblance to an NFL offense -- despite receiving some of the shoddiest OL play I've ever witnessed.

Fast forward to the offseason.  Two veteran receivers added, including an expected "safety valve" for Allen.  A top line center.  Loads of veteran competition along the OL along with a promising rookie draft pick.  A new OL coach who has been spoken of highly around the league.  Gore and Singletary.  Who here is going to predict that the offense will do anything but improve?

Everything I've seen/heard from Josh Allen suggests he is smart, competitive, and tough as nails.  His teammates already love him.  So yeah, if he can improve his numbers to something north of 55% completions, 3500 yards, and a 2.5-1 TD/INT ratio I think the Bills will be just fine.

Is this an indefensible "homer" post?  I really don't think so.  Tell me why expectations should be lowered.  And be civil.

Barring unforeseen injury to Allen,  there is no excuse for McBeane not getting to 10 wins this season.    They exposed us to A LOT of bad football(particularly on offense) the past two seasons to get to this point.........and they have had virtually no free agents for two offseasons and spent TONS of Pegula-Bucks in FA and had high draft picks and have about as easy of a schedule as you could ask for.    Whether 10 wins gets you into the playoffs in the AFC is another matter.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

With the days winding down until training camp starts I'm becoming more and more convinced that only a rash of key injuries will prevent McD's third team from compiling at least 10 wins and a playoff spot.  The schedule is favorable, particularly early, which means an already established defense (boosted by Ed Oliver) should be able to not only hold their own but control games.  This is the third year for many of these guys in the defense.  The secondary is second to none (can this even be disputed?).  Edmunds got a "free" year of NFL schooling, added bulk, and should now be playing rather than thinking.  Milano was a budding star before his leg snapped.  If the offense merely improves from awful to average that should be good enough.  Special teams can't be worse -- the Bills added one of the premiere return men in the game and washed the stale taste of Danny Crossman from our mouths.  Heath Farwell is energetic and ambitious, he has the respect of players because he was one of them, and I think he'll have guys trying to run through walls for his ST.

And let's talk about the offense.  Last year it was bad.  Through nine games, historically bad.  But then something happened.  Josh Allen returned from injury and made plays.  Enough plays to show us what he's capable of (as well as what he needs to work on).  More importantly, he got eleven weeks of coaching and preparing for NFL competition as "the man."  Through the final seven weeks of the season the Bills bore resemblance to an NFL offense -- despite receiving some of the shoddiest OL play I've ever witnessed.

Fast forward to the offseason.  Two veteran receivers added, including an expected "safety valve" for Allen.  A top line center.  Loads of veteran competition along the OL along with a promising rookie draft pick.  A new OL coach who has been spoken of highly around the league.  Gore and Singletary.  Who here is going to predict that the offense will do anything but improve?

Everything I've seen/heard from Josh Allen suggests he is smart, competitive, and tough as nails.  His teammates already love him.  So yeah, if he can improve his numbers to something north of 55% completions, 3500 yards, and a 2.5-1 TD/INT ratio I think the Bills will be just fine.

Is this an indefensible "homer" post?  I really don't think so.  Tell me why expectations should be lowered.  And be civil.

Image result for seinfeld thats a shame gif

1 hour ago, eball said:

I'm certain a couple people will be here to talk you out of it.

As Playoffs Please mentioned, Hughes' getting paid worries me.  That's not a knock on Hughes; I'm a big fan.

Our elderly RB situation also concerns me.  As unpopular as my opinion is, I think McCoy is done.  I thought he was done at the end of 2017 and he certainly didn't prove me wrong last year.  Also not a knock; I'm a big McCoy fan, too.  I just think he's toast.  I do have high hopes for Gore, though.

I feel good about the pass catchers; I think we'll end up with an upgrade, there.  Knox is a question mark and, as Gunner Bill mentioned upstream, Kroft's health is also a question mark.

I think the O line will be an upgrade.

Outside of not taking the field at all, Special Teams HAS to be an upgrade.

And Allen ... I love the kid.  But he needs to be better and make better decisions faster.  He needs to be able to throw the 5-10 yard (in the air) passes with consistent accuracy.  If he doesn't improve in that area, that will put reaching 10 games in the most danger.

I'm optimistic that he will show forward progress and his decision-making and accuracy will be better.  That's all I'm looking for.

If he does that and his supporting cast stays reasonably healthy, I don't see why the Bills can't get 10 wins.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

The only thing that worries me about this is most of the plays were with his legs.  If he can start making them with his arm, I'd agree.  And I do think there will be improvement too, the question is how much.  If he can bump his completion percentage up just 5%, that could be enough.  With the weapons added, I don't think that's out of reach either.

15 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The only thing that worries me about this is most of the plays were with his legs.

The last time we saw Josh Allen in a game that counted he was 17/26 (65%) for 224 yards and 3 TDs (11% rate).

TDs to Foster against Jacksonville and Detroit were "big boy" throws.

Allen's running only makes him more dangerous as a passer if he has time and weapons.

• Like (+1) 1

It's tough for me to imagine Josh playing well within the structure of an offense and what he'd look like doing it.  He didn't do that NFL year 1 or at Wyoming (maybe Jr. year?) but he had no choice.  He had to make off script plays to extend drives or take a seat.  As the team around him improves the question becomes "can he operate within the structure of what's called or is he hardwired to play Hero Ball?"  I commented in a different thread that he should play like Bruce Wayne until the Bat Signal goes up.  That mindset would be his formula to a successful season/career and that would elevate the play of his teammates.   But, he might not be inclined to play that way.

Ten is a legitimate target.  There is plenty of precedent for QBs getting their team there in NFL year 2.  The schedule gives them a chance to stack some wins early and then improve enough during the season to compete at the back end.  It's not crazy talk and these kinds of improvements have been occurring with regularity.   

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

My realistic cap says 9.

This is where I’m  at too. It’s hard for me to wrap my head around the bills getting double digit wins. It’s been far too long, but it can certainly happen this year. 

46 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

5-1 in the AFC East?  Seriously?

I am saying 3-3

2nd yr QB with a new coach and play scheme

• I can see the Bills sweeping the NYETS 

FitzMagic and Rosen  

• By week 7 the bills fresh off of a BYE the Fins may have started and benched Fitz by then leaving us a "still raw" Rosen so I can see the Bills sweeping the Fis as well.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

I really have a hard time with the offensive side of the ball being so unproven, and weak at key positions.  I feel like the defense alone could account for 6-7 wins, but I'm not sure the offense can wrangle in the remaining 3-4 wins to get to 10-6.  This team is going into the season 0-2 just like every other year in the last 20 years, so it just really makes it hard to buy in.  In order for your prediction to be legit in my mind, Josh Allen has to do for the Bills what John Elway did for the Broncos in the early 80's.  He needs to be able to carry the weak offensive skill positions on his back until one of them emerges as a real threat.  McCoy is no longer a threat.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The reason I am still a little nervous about committing to 10 wins is I think there remain a lot of questions about the offensive weaponary. The defense could still do with a little more pass rush but I am very high on Oliver and I think that unit will be a top 10 unit again (maybe not quite as high as #2) and I expect Josh Allen to play better (a Trubisky style year 2) and I think the offensive line will be improved but when I look around that at the offensive pieces:

RB:

McCoy - how much is left? I still think enough. But if I am wrong that is a worry.

Gore - hard yards guy still but the wall will come at some point. How long can he still play?

Singletary - can he be a 3 down back? I have my doubts.

WR:

Foster - I think he is going to really emerge this year as their #1 but what if he is a flash in the pan? He wouldn't be the first young unheralded receiver to fizzle and then fade.

Beasley - He is a good slot receiver, but is that the type of guy that Josh Allen is ever going to get the most out of?

Brown - Can play and if he ends up as a #2 or #3 option he will contribute. Worried if he has to be the guy.

Jones - his NFL career is on the line - can he make the big jump he needs to in terms of getting open and catching the ball?

TE:

Kroft - I like him quite a bit and think he is underrated by many here but can he get and then stay healthy? Major question mark at this point.

Knox - I like him a lot too but he is a raw, high ceiling guy. The plan was undoubtedly to bring him on slowly in 2019 and have him win the job next offseason.

Croom - I like him less than Pegula's daughter.

Can the Bills cobble together enough offense from those guys without Josh needing to force it and play hero ball every single week? If they can then I think they will, on this schedule, win 10 games and could even win 11 or 12. If they can't then they will end up 7-9 or 8-8.

I think I have higher expectations than you for the defense.  I believe they will be dominant.  Communication should be effortless and if McD is preaching aggressiveness at camp I predict they will come out on fire and play that way all year.

This is the primary reason I believe the offense merely has to improve to average for this 10-win projection to come true.

• Like (+1) 1

anyone hear sirius nfl at around 1?  they were going over mystery teams in the afc east, and one of the hosts picked buffalo, (it was someone on with brady quinn).  i couldn't hear the entire blurb, but like we all know, they felt it centered around who josh allen will become.  just curious if there was more to it that i missed.

8 minutes ago, eball said:

I think I have higher expectations than you for the defense.  I believe they will be dominant.  Communication should be effortless and if McD is preaching aggressiveness at camp I predict they will come out on fire and play that way all year.

This is the primary reason I believe the offense merely has to improve to average for this 10-win projection to come true.

I think the defense can be very, very good. Better than last year as an all round defense but I'd be surprised if they were top 2 again in yards (which is the official rank). I can see them being mid top 10 in both yards and points, continuing to be good in yards per play and 3rd down and better (though not yet great) in the redzone. 

My doubts are whether the weapons are there. I think they have enough but they all have some sort of question. There isnt one single hang your hat on him guy. I believe the Bills should be a playoff contender. But the weapons are how I can talk myself out of it. 

• Like (+1) 1