Ranking the AFC East Defensive Lines

Sal Capaccio has Bills #1... which was kind of by process of elimination. The Bills should be pretty decent, but the AFC East as a whole is not great up front 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/sals-afc-east-position-battles-defensive-line

For my first installment of AFC East Position Battles on the defensive side of the ball, I take a look at the defensive line for each team in the division. This is a tougher exercise for this position group because each team plays a different type of defense or uses their personnel differently. So even if two teams run a 4–3, the way they line guys up and move parts around can really change how the defense looks and acts.

1 Bills

2 Jets

3 Pats

4 Fish

The Pats looked tame and complacent all regular season and then brung it hard and bullrushed and damaged their three playoff opponents with ease.

Chargers and Rams were badly shaken and the Pats got out of Arrowhead with a steal of a win off a far better opponent on paper.

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

I think the both Bill's and the Jet's D lines have a chance to be really solid this year.  Both lines will depend on the play of their 1st round rookie DTs.  I'd call them 1a/1b until we see how Quinnen Williams and Ed Oliver pan out this season.  I'd might give the Bills a slight edge with the strength of their secondary which should help give the D-line more time to get pressure on the QB.  Time will tell.

The Phish and Pats are clearly bringing up the rear.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

The Pats looked tame and complacent all regular season and then brung it hard and bullrushed and damaged their three playoff opponents with ease.

Chargers and Rams were badly shaken and the Pats got out of Arrowhead with a steal of a win off a far better opponent on paper.

Agreed, they never have a great pass rush until they somehow manufacture one, which is why he said they are better as the sum of their parts. But as far as that goes, they will still need to replace trey flowers. 

The Pats also tend to play extremely well in the secondary if not all year, when it matters, which helps out their DL.

Edited by YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Agreed, they never have a great pass rush until they somehow manufacture one, which is why he said they are better as the sum of their parts. But as far as that goes, they will still need to replace trey flowers. 

The Pats also tend to play extremely well in the secondary if not all year, when it matters, which helps out their DL.

I expect Derek Rivers if properly healthy to be the Flowers replacement. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I expect Derek Rivers if properly healthy to be the Flowers replacement. 

I would expect that they plan for him to be ... question is whether he really is that good. It’s not a criticism, just a question mark. He did play some (6 games) last year according to the article, though tbh I didn’t even realize he was out there. 

The D line does have a chance to be solid but probably not dominant.  Even to be solid they will need Hughes to not drop off, Oliver to play well as a rookie, and Murphy to beat out Lawson. Lawson will never be a capable pass rusher.  Solid enough against the run but they will be in nickel half the time so they need Murphy to stay healthy, not get busted for PEDs, and generate 9-10 sacks. The interior depth is ok but the edge depth is not good. Lorax probably makes the team as a situational pass rushing DE. Edge will be top need going into 2020 off-season. I like Oliver and the inside pressure he can bring but wanted Josh Allen. 

A lot of uncertainty with the Bills D Line, two big questions, does Trent Murphy (as Ethan ion Portland stated Lawson isnt the answer) get back to his prior year form and does he stay healthy and Ed Oliver, rookie, total question mark, does he have it as a rookie?  If both pay lights out and stay healthy then i thin we could have the best D Line in the AFCE.

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

Yup.  Reality is the coaching staff is part of the D-line (and every other aspect of the teams), so NE is #1 until further notice.

As much praise as BB gets for SB 25, what he did last January (in a game where Brady did nothing) was perhaps his finest hour.

59 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Yup.  Reality is the coaching staff is part of the D-line (and every other aspect of the teams), so NE is #1 until further notice.

As much praise as BB gets for SB 25, what he did last January (in a game where Brady did nothing) was perhaps his finest hour.

i consider that Pats team one of the least talented to win a SB, heck to even get to a SB.

and they won it all, again

16 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

pats have the great secondary that allows the pass rush to get to the qb. they always play the run tough as well. just a solid well coached defense.  bill made his money as a secondary coach originally

they didn't bother showing it in the regular season

we were all chuckling about how the Chargers great O was going to destroy the Pats garbage D

then it was 35-7 at the half and things were awful quiet....

---------------------------------------

15 teams finished above 500, so going 6-10 is a really dismal season

keep trying to make it seem AWESOME and WONDERFUL by cherry picking useless stats.....

9 minutes ago, row_33 said:

we were all chuckling about how the Chargers great O was going to destroy the Pats garbage D

keep trying to make it seem AWESOME and WONDERFUL by cherry picking useless stats.....

I never thought the Chargers would destroy the Pats D. But I think a big part of why their O couldn’t get on track that day was because their D put them behind so quickly and they likely had to abandon the game plan. 

58 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I never thought the Chargers would destroy the Pats D. But I think a big part of why their O couldn’t get on track that day was because their D put them behind so quickly and they likely had to abandon the game plan. 

sure okay whatever

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

A lot of uncertainty with the Bills D Line, two big questions, does Trent Murphy (as Ethan ion Portland stated Lawson isnt the answer) get back to his prior year form and does he stay healthy and Ed Oliver, rookie, total question mark, does he have it as a rookie?  If both pay lights out and stay healthy then i thin we could have the best D Line in the AFCE.

I agree with you on this.  In addition, Star needs to do a better job of keeping the guards off our linebackers.  His role is to engage multiple guys in the middle and fill space.  He was inconsistent last year.

That is a very generous ranking.  They have potential but they have a ton to prove.  We don’t have Returning DT who had a sack last year, Star and Shaq  are one dimensional players, and Murphy will get hurt.  Love Oliver but he is a rookie. Definitely have a bunch of talent but they need to prove it. 

On 7/9/2019 at 9:13 AM, row_33 said:

You seem very insufferable... what should we do? Just kneel for the anthem and Pats and hand them the Lombardy and a new Nike contract? I won’t. You probably will, and endorse busing and reparations while you’re at it. But I will stand firm and believe that our great country and our Bills will continue to advance their plan and build the greatest team/country ever assembled.