Bernard Pollard & the Patriots

So he generated some news today by saying Payton Manning was better than Brady. That's not why I'm talking about him though. I was completely unaware that his nickname - which he definitely earned - was "Patriot-Killer."  If he's looking for work as an assistant DB coach, I really think McDermott should hire him.

'Beginning in 2008, while Pollard was with the Kansas City Chiefs, a series of events began to take place that would alter the course of four Patriots' seasons.

During the first week of the 2008 season, Pollard was knocked to the ground while trying to sack Tom Brady. On the ground, Pollard lunged at Brady’s legs, connecting his red Chiefs helmet to Brady’s left knee and tearing the quarterback’s anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments. Brady’s season was prematurely over.[21]

In 2009, while Pollard was with the Houston Texans, Brady threw a pass to Wes Welker to the short left side of the field, which he then took up the field. Pollard closed in on Welker fast, forcing the diminutive receiver to cut to his right, possibly faster than he anticipated. His left plant foot slipped and he tore his ACL and MCL, missing the playoffs that year.[21]

In the AFC Championship Game following the 2011 season, Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski caught a pass of about 20 yards with Pollard in coverage. Pollard wrapped Gronkowski up to take him to the ground. As Gronkowski hit the turf, Pollard’s right thigh forcefully landed on Gronkowski’s left ankle. Gronkowski suffered a high ankle sprain. Gronkowski played in the Super Bowl two weeks later, but the injury helped limit him to just two catches for 26 yards.[21]

In the fourth quarter of the 2012 AFC Championship Game, as the Patriots were driving in an attempt to tie the game, Pollard launched a direct helmet-to-helmet hit which concussed running back Stevan Ridley. Ridley immediately lost consciousness and control of the ball, which was scooped up by the Ravens to take over possession, while wide receiver Brandon Lloyd tended to his fallen teammate. This sealed the Ravens' victory, advancing them to Super Bowl XLVII, in which they defeated the San Francisco 49ers. Though Stevan Ridley recovered in time to play in the 2013 NFL season, he was unable to retain his job as a starter, and has been released by five different NFL teams since 2013.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Pollard

Edited by dave mcbride

Pretty interesting that one player created that much devastation to one team.  I think we would be hard pressed to find another individual who managed to do that.  The Cheatriots must have shuddered when they knew he was playing against them!!!

All hail BP!

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

He has a history of injuring Patriot players so let’s bring him in as a coach? I don’t get the connection here.

Come on. Do you have to be difficult all the time?

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah that guy Bill Simmons (big Pats fan) always talked about him like he was the bad guy in a Bond film

When they go to 3 names it means they are trying to protect the innocent that might get caught up if only 2 names are used

From what I gather, Pollard wasn't the best locker room guy who wasn't the best influence on younger guys.  After the 2012 season, John Harbaugh released Pollard and it was not for lack of talent.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Ok - I’ll change it to “Josh Allen [meaningless proper noun].” That appears to be ok these days, right? ;)

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You look at the locked threads and do the math

And while you're around, please edit your title to reflect the content of the thread.