Who Is The Most Obscure Bills Player/Coach You Remember Meeting?

3 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Did you go with him to get a guddam snack?

He was not in obscurity.  He was in Lovelock Correctional Center.  (I wonder if I make it onto his Twitter account?...)

No he was already coming from the food court

Got approached by Melvin Fowler at a grocery store with a card promoting a club. He recognized the Bills hat and figured I was a good target I suppose. Had no idea who he was at first because he was like 200 pounds and didn't have the dreads.

I'll add a couple non obscure player encounters, not meetings. Growing up in the Hamburg / OP area I'd see players and coaches all the time around town but a few in particular stick out.

At St. Bernadette's in OP for Satuday evening mass circa the late 80s. I turn around to offer the sign of peace to....Jim Kelly. I had no idea he was there behind us that day. I'd see him at mass often but he typically showed up late and left early.

Right after I graduated college I was still living at my parents house in OP and commuting to work downtown. One morning I'm driving down a deserted California road and I see a SUV coming up behind me at a very high rate of speed. As he passed on my left I was ready to give this ahole the finger. It was Jim Kelly.

When we lived in Hamburg Bruce's house was around the corner from us in a new development off McKinley parkway. Once I was in Tops at McKinley and southwestern and here comes Bruce walking out carrying nothing but two cases of Genny pounders.

Mid to late 90s I was at the ballet (Pure Platinum) on the Friday before the season opener...and in walks Bruce with a  small group, none of which were Bills teammates as far as I could tell. I turned to my friend and wondered why Bruce was there given the Bills were opening the season in San Diego on Sunday. We all found out on Sunday that ole Bruce's knee was acting up again.

I'd often see Phil Hansen at the village of Hamburg library sitting at a table with a bunch of financial periodicals spread out in front of him.

One semi obscure player story to keep thos post more on topic although it wasnt my encounter but from a friend who worked at the noco gas station at the corner of main and center street in Hamburg. He told me Glenn Parker would often stop in to gas up and grab one of those magazines they keep wrapped in brown paper. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hal Garner, special teamer, at Chestnut ridge park in 88. Super nice guy and so was his family. Sad thing is many years later I had heard he has fought some mental health issues beyond the physical issues from the hits. 

If we’re talking non obscure, ran into Jim Kelly and Vinnie Testaverde at a bar on Bourbon Street during the 1987 Final Four.

Saw Thurman a few times at the Mobil Mart near my dad’s house in Lancaster.

Josh Reed shared a wall with my friend, the late Judge Angelo Tona - one time Judge Tona locked himself out of his townhouse and asked Josh if he would kick open the door from his garage into his mudroom. Josh was happy to oblige, and The Judge left that footprint there til he passed away.  Another time, Josh ran out of bodka and ‘borrowed a bottle of Grey Goose from The Judge - never paid it back.  when Dave Wannstache arrived, he moved into the townhouse across the street.

The Bills must have some sort of deal with Burke, because I’ve seen so many Bills living in Briarwood.  Marshawn Lynch lived there with his mom and brother, across the street from another friend of mine.  Posluszny lived there.  I’ll bet at least. half of this year’s newcomers will live there for at least a year.

My buddy gets a list of residents every year, so I’ll probably be stalking Ed Oliver and Cody Ford!

On 7/8/2019 at 9:36 PM, Rico said:

The only Bills player I’ve ever met was OJ, and I don’t think he counts for this thread.

Same here, met him in Buffalo Airport walking by himself... got him to sign my Superman comic book... wonder if he was filming one of those Hertz commercials.  Not sure I met any others... have a family deal... my Uncle was drafted by the Baltimore Colts as a defensive end... He won the Ivy League trophy his senior year as mvp of the league.... he joined the Marines instead... they paid more.

Not really obscure, but the only two I’ve ever met:

Jill Kelly at an event, my dad knew who she was and called me over. I didn’t really care, but I was hoping I’d get to meet Jim. 

George Saimes at a hall of fame event- didn’t even know who he was, but now that I’m older it’s a cool memory. 

Also, my mom used to do taxes for Wade Phillips. 

Edited by whatdrought

i suppose not that obscure... but rex ryan was living in the building over from me when i lived in regency court a few years ago.  He had just moved to buffalo and i think the apartment was fully furnished so he could be by the stadium while he was getting his house together. 

I remember seeing his car on deadspin and the same day i got home from work and this giant bills truck is in my like 12 car parking lot between the 2 buildings.  Ran into him a couple of times - never got to tell him how utterly disappointing his tenure here was.

On 7/8/2019 at 1:45 PM, BillyWhiteShows said:

Looking back at your years of fandome, are there any obscure or little-known Bills players or coaches that you’ve met. For me, there’s a handful of players and coaches:

Mark Maddox - Met this dude over at the old Rainbow Mall in Niagara Falls.  It must have been 1991 or 1992 because I remember there were actually stores open!  Including a Trench outlet store!  He was injured and on crutches but very nice and friendly.  It was an autograph signing and there must have been about 10 people in line but it didn’t seem to get him down. Very cool guy

Keon Carpenter - I had to interview Keon for a local newspaper about the Bills season.  Very nice and professional.

Gabe Northern -  A monster at LB for the Bills during the 90’s.  Always thought he was due for a breakout season.  Never happened but he was a solid player in the Bills 3-4

Foxboro, 1997.  Bills@Patriots.  Todd Collins leaves the game with an injury, Billy Jo Hobert comes in.  An hour and 45 mins later, he was in the bathroom in the fetal position sucking his thumb.  I asked if there was any TP in his stall, and if there was, to throw a roll of TP over men's room stall wall to me.  The toss was picked off.

• Haha (+1) 1

In the mid/late 80s my high school had a charity event where some of the Bills played basketball against a team of our faculty. A few years ago when going through some old boxes I found the program with a bunch of autographs on it and I didn't recognize most of the names. I can't recall who any of them were now though which probably goes to show how obscure they all really were.