Who Is The Most Obscure Bills Player/Coach You Remember Meeting?

16 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He was not just a punter but a terrific athlete.  Not only that he did a lot for children in WNY.

Met Moorman too.  Such a class guy, he talked with my then 5 year old son for a while, was genuinely interested in the fans at Fisher.  

Ronnie Vinklarek was a Bills Offensive line coach 2002-2004.  Called me up out of the clear blue one day tried to buy some property off me, normally the type of call i hang up on but immediately starting talking about his playing/coaching days and being on the bills.  Rather entertaining entrepreneurial guy, he owns a company called All American Ranch Sales.  If I ever sell i wlil give him a call.

20 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Hopefully you didn’t bring up “the incident!”

No didn't bring up the incident.  But lets be real who here hasn't been caught in a tree outside some womans  house getting in a good forearm workout. It happens to the best of us. 

OK some of us.

• Haha (+1) 1

Tom Sherman.

In 1970 the players were on strike briefly during training camp. I was 8 years old, and the vets, including OJ and Paul Maguire, were working out on their own at ECC North. Sherman was a backup QB in 1969, was 2-2 passing and ran the ball twice that year. He was there working out. We went up there almost every day for about a week. 

After their practice, we were getting autographs and we couldn't find my younger (5 year old) brother. About 30 seconds after realizing he wasn't with us, here comes Tom Sherman carrying my brother. He was very nice, was happy to reunite us. I don't know if he made the team that year. 

The other thing I remember about those workouts is we were there on a Wednesday and they got done and Maguire says to a bunch of us, "hey you want to learn how to punt? Come back here at 7 tonight." We did, he showed up and put on a punting clinic. Maguire did some promotional work for our company about 8-9 years ago and I told him the story, he had some funny stories to tell about that strike year. 

Funny how you remember stuff like that almost 50 years later...impressionable youth. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 7/8/2019 at 3:39 PM, Buffalo716 said:

How do you know they are the same people???

IP address.

Go Bills!!

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Shaud Williams.  

Matt Liehnart 

to name a few 

How was Leinert

3 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Don Smith ( ended up scoring Bills first ever SB touchdown ) before Paul Maguire Budweiser sportsline show in Sept 1990

Don Smith....great choice

On 7/8/2019 at 3:19 PM, NickelCity said:

Trent Edwards. Have spoken at length a number of times about his experiences with the Bills. 

What all did he say? The ending of his career here was pretty ugly (TC insults and Chan getting involved, abruptly cut midseason, etc.) so it wouldn't surprise me if it left a bitter taste in his mouth - or at least a combo of that along with being professional and saying how he enjoyed it here

Met Coy Wire and Travis Henry at some autograph signing in Rochester. Henry couldnt be bothered to talk but Coy Wire was a super nice guy.

Talked to my brother and I about playing in the snow game against the dolphins when Ricky Williams rushed for 200+ yards but the Bills won. I was at it and it was the snow colts game before social media 2002/2003 maybe?

J.D. Williams and Keith McKeller at an autograph signing at Eastern Hills Mall when I was about eight.   I held out my hand to shake hands with them but they were a little busy talking to the two blonde ladies behind me in line.    That one has always stuck with me.  

Marvcus Patton did a speaking engagement for my church when I was around 11.   My Grandmother kept bugging me to go ask for his autograph before the event.   I told her he was signing afterwards, so she pushed me up to him anyways.   I asked, he said I am signing for everyone after I speak.   He wasnt a bad guy my Grandmother was just being grandmotherly. 

although i didn't talk to him, i did sit in the same row as tom donahoe at a graduation.  my brother and his daughter graduated from the simon business school at the same time, and there he was, white hair glistening in the lighting. 

Several hundred years ago:  Ike Hill was our substitute gym teacher at Bennett.  This was in the days when players had to get jobs in the off season and training camp was about getting back into shape.

I saw Siran Neal at Walmart a couple of weeks ago. About ten years ago I ran into Marshawn Lynch at the same Walmart. I know he's not obscure but it was an interesting encounter because he said we should all be Raiders fans. You could tell then that he really wanted to be back in California. It was the same week Jauron got fired and when I asked him about it he just shrugged and said, "Hopefully it's for the best, man, I dunno really what's going on." He's a monster of a dude in person. If you didn't know he was a RB you would think he played LB just by his size. 

I also have a good friend who's grandfather was president of the Bills Backers for 30+ years, starting sometime in the late 60s/early 70s. He has stories his granddad has passed on about having dinner parties with players such as OJ, Ferguson, Smerlas, etc. He has a lot of unique memorabilia from him as well. He's been working on a project to collect a signature from every player that's ever been on a game day roster. He has a ton from the early years all the way up through the mid-90's (and then the ones he's collected since he was a kid until now) which is I believe when his grandfather retired as the Bills Backers president. I've seen some of his collection and there are definitely tons of obscure signatures from names that no one probably remembers.

Edited by blacklabel

Rod Hill, a cornerback who had been a first round draft choice by Dallas in the early 80's.  (After a year or two, Dallas traded him to the Bills.)  

Met him in a bar in Middleport, NY.  (Jim Haslett owned property nearby and was often seen around the area with other Bills in tow.)  Very quiet demeanor and he seemed too thin for an NFL player, at any position.  He asked me for a cigarette because he was trying to quit and didn't want to buy a full pack.