Who Is The Most Obscure Bills Player/Coach You Remember Meeting?

I have moonlighted as a high-end server (waiter) for a long time. In Orlando I often interacted with golf and baseball legends. In Dallas I dealt with NBA players all the time (as we were across the street from the hotel visiting teams used). In Buffalo for the past seven years I've had some consistent and incredible access to Bills and Sabres personnel up and down the orgs. 

A bit off-topic, but in Dallas in the leadup to George Strait's mega-concert to open Jerry World, I had a fifteen-top that included Jason Garrett, Jay Cutler, Kerry Collins, and someone else notable I'm forgetting. Garrett point-blank asked Collins what he thought of Vince Young (they played together on the Titans at the time). Collins gave an interesting but diplomatic answer: "he's an every-now-and-then guy. Every now and then, he'll do something that makes you go "whoa."" 

• Like (+1) 2

Jason Bostic at the Outback Steakhouse bar in Blasdell waiting for a table after the 2002 season opener where we lost to the Jets in OT.  Had no clue who he was until he introduced himself after we chit chatted about the game on tv.  I wished him good luck for the rest of the year and he was a nice enough guy.  Just a weird encounter.

• Like (+1) 1

I met a bunch of AFL guys when I was a kid.   The team had a basketball team in the off-season that played charity games, and my dad always reffed the one at Cardinal O'Hara.  So I'd hang out in the locker room with guys like Lamonica, Al Bemiller, Stew Barber, Paul Costa, Butch Byrd, Ernie Warlick. All great guys.

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Roger Kochman wasn't exactly obscure, because he made a splash for a couple of games before he destroyed his knee.   I met him after the injury.  

I remember that!

Not sure this meets the criteria, but I met Scott Norwoods college room mate and close friend at an Atlanta Airport Bar and talked for about an hour; Doctor Phil stuff! Interesting to say the least!

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Monte Ledbetter, Tom Day, Charlie Ferguson, and Wayne Patrick are some that I have met over the years.  All were great guys.

He lived down the street from me growing up. Don’t remember much about him other than people would point him or his house out.

Bobby Shaw at target, Ron brooks at target, Chris Watson also at target, grant irons. I don’t remember where but probably target. Brandon Spoon at the convention center.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, JimS said:

Scott Virkus. I played softball with him one Summer. Could hit the ball a ton every time.

I played softball with Scott for a couple years in the 50+ at Winton-Empire. Anything over the fence was an out. Very frustrating for him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Bobby Shaw at target, Ron brooks at target, Chris Watson also at target, grant irons. I don’t remember where but probably target. Brandon Spoon at the convention center.

Here I am, trying to figure out if ‘target’ is some sort of code for ‘WR’...:doh:

?

?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I have had a couple of encounters.   Got to know Charlie Fergeson as we worked for the same employer for a couple of decades and ran into each other at the golf dome after that.  Good guy for sure.

My other encounter was unusual.....I used to fly to Detroit on business regularily....this was late 70's I think, and we flew American Airlines direct in those days.  One day I got on behind a guy also on his way to Detroit on a business trip.....it was Chuck Knox...heading out meet w Ralph Wilson.  I think some of his staff were there also, but I didn't meet them.  Anyhow, Chuck was intense and clearly in charge of the group.  He was Head Coach for 5 years, but never got us to the playoffs I recall so he was ultimately fired.  He was the one who used to call out of town games  "business trips"....and he was all business from what I saw that day.

3 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

I have had a couple of encounters.   Got to know Charlie Fergeson as we worked for the same employer for a couple of decades and ran into each other at the golf dome after that.  Good guy for sure.

My other encounter was unusual.....I used to fly to Detroit on business regularily....this was late 70's I think, and we flew American Airlines direct in those days.  One day I got on behind a guy also on his way to Detroit on a business trip.....it was Chuck Knox...heading out meet w Ralph Wilson.  I think some of his staff were there also, but I didn't meet them.  Anyhow, Chuck was intense and clearly in charge of the group.  He was Head Coach for 5 years, but never got us to the playoffs I recall so he was ultimately fired.  He was the one who used to call out of town games  "business trips"....and he was all business from what I saw that day.

Knox got them to playoffs in 80 and 81. If not for an injured Ferguson in 1980 they had a great chance to play in SuperBowl. 

16 hours ago, mrags said:

I met Brian Moorman more than once. One time at at bar with Lee Evans as well. I bought drinks for Lee and Brian. Lee was incredible. Such an awesome dude. Despite what many think and many people want to believe, Brian Moorman was one of the biggest C@(KBAGS I’ve ever met. I mean, dude, your the punter.  

Met and got a picture with Moorman at a tailgate that I randomly stopped into while walking into the home opener last year. He seemed like a decent dude to me.

30 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Bills made playoffs  in 1980 and 1981 with knox at the helm

• Like (+1) 1

I forgot about another obscure player encounter. My cousins husband is best friends with former Bills backup QB Rick Strom. The year that he made the Bills he borrowed some extra furniture from my parents. I happened to be visiting my parents house one day and the doorbell rang, it was Rick dropping off tickets to the Monday night game against the Broncos when both teams wore their throwback uniforms. I'm guessing like 94 or 95. We watched that game sitting in the seats among the players' families. 

Played basketball at Mark Pike's dad's church gym. Nice guy - he got Mark to sign a couple hats for my dad and me.

Also ran into Joe Ferguson in the airport, probably ~1980 (during the off-season).

He was sitting by himself trying to get some shut-eye with his legs stretched out wearing cowboy boots and a cowboy hat pulled down over half of his face.

mine would be john fina. super nice guy.  his aunt ran the administrative office where i went to high school, and she went to church with my mom.  i have an odd amount of john fina signed paraphernalia.

i first met him at a saturday walk through practice.  few things i remember...bruce wasn't practicing.  he was just standing on this sidelines joking around wearing a big fur coat.  steve christie was also there, and if i'm not mistaken, it was his first year with the team.  he was so excited and gracious to give out autographs.

• Like (+1) 1