Who Is The Most Obscure Bills Player/Coach You Remember Meeting?

I do not remember his name, but he is the Grandfather of my son's friend from years ago. Fullback, early sixties. Fred, I think. 

I met him once when dropping my son off at their house. I was better acquainted with his wife, as I was a single dad, and she was a grandma raising her grandkids. We were just around the corner from each other. Still just a half mile away now. She and I actually got kinda schnokkered on white Russians once. She gave me a pair of ol' Fred's snow boots, which I still have.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I do not remember his name, but he is the Grandfather of my son's friend from years ago. Fullback, early sixties. Fred, I think. 

I met him once when dropping my son off at their house. I was better acquainted with his wife, as I was a single dad, and she was a grandma raising her grandkids. We were just around the corner from each other. Still just a half mile away now. She and I actually got kinda schnokkered on white Russians once. She gave me a pair of ol' Fred's snow boots, which I still have.

We need to hear more about you and the grandma.

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

We need to hear more about you and the grandma.

She freakin loved me! Of course, most old ladies have always loved me! I have a certain southern charm, and I truly love old folks too. My grandma, bless her heart, still pines for my conversation every day. My  six other (younger) cousins, all rib me about being granny's favorite. Nothing wrong with making lil ol ladies happy!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Outside the stadium at Super Bowl XXVII Petrino & I met former Bill Brent Griffith who was on the 1990 AFC champ Bills & got a ring for it.  We took a photo with him among the many photos we took that day.  

Eventually that AFC championship ring got him in a lot of trouble.  He once claimed the ring was stolen & cashed a check from his insurance company.  After he & his wife split up, his ex ratted him out to the authorities telling them he still had the ring.  https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/4339199-ex-professional-football-player-sentenced-insurance-fraud-west-central-minnesota

A former professional football player recently pleaded guilty in Swift County District Court to felony insurance fraud involving a championship ring he had allegedly reported as stolen.
Brent Dwayne Griffith, 51, of Sartell, formerly of Benson, was sentenced to serve two days in the Swift County Jail, followed by five years of unsupervised probation. He also was ordered by Judge Rodney Hanson to pay $4,805 in restitution to the Swift County court administration, plus fines and fees totaling $590.
The judge granted him a stay of adjudication, meaning no conviction will appear on his record if he successfully completes all the terms of his sentence.
According to the criminal complaint, Griffith filed an insurance claim in 2013, alleging the theft of an AFC title ring. The ring, which he won in 1990 while playing a season as an offensive lineman with the Buffalo Bills, was covered under his homeowner's policy.
The following year, after he and his then-wife had split up, his wife notified the insurer that he in fact still had the ring and that he had cashed a check for a $4,780 insurance settlement without her knowledge. At that point the case was turned over to the Minnesota Commerce Fraud Bureau for investigation, resulting in the filing of a criminal charge of insurance fraud this past summer.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Our only Pro Bowler years 2001-2012 and perennial leader in yardage is hardly obscure.  Moorman was a f@#4ing star!!

He was not just a punter but a terrific athlete.  Not only that he did a lot for children in WNY.

My most obscure coach (and most embarrassing moment) was meeting John Ray. He was a defensive coach back in the mid 70s under Saban. He was at a diner with a Bill's shirt on. I met up with him in the bathroom and I asked him if he was a big fan of the team...he said yes with a big grin. We chatted for a minute. I saw him a few weeks later at Niagara University coaching the defense. Yeah... I felt like like an idiot not knowing who he was.

Not obscure to us older folks, but for most of the younger guys and gals it would be. I met Billy Shaw in Atlanta’s airport late one night. I had a Bills hat on, and I was sitting in the concourse reading when someone tapped me me on the shoulder and asked How long I had been a Bills fan. We talked for almost an hour. He was wearing his HOF ring. Very nice gentleman. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Went to bills/Panthers game around 10 years ago. Was going down the elevator with Dick Jaron about 6 AM on my way to golf before the game. He was such a gentleman. Had a great talk. Too bad he sucked at coaching. Bills won that day though ?

Went to bills/Panthers game around 10 years ago. Was going down the elevator with Dick Jaron about 6 AM on my way to golf before the game. He was such a gentleman. Had a great talk. Too bad he sucked at coaching. Bills won that day though ?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T master said:

I didn't meet him but i saw Jim Hassett at a function once up near Buffalo & he was a different kind of dude !! Loved to party ... Which if i remember correctly led to a altercation that evening .

assuming you meant Hasslett?

I met him too; back in 2011 at Jimmy’s Old Town Tavern in Herndon, VA.

• Like (+1) 1

Scott Radecic at some HS event

Watched SB 38 with Drew Bledsoe

A former Dean of Coe College is one of my patients and he knows Marv really well.  He was there when they named a street after him.  I've known this guy for years.  Then in Dec 2017, I was having dinner at Russell's and who do I see dining alone - Marv.  I asked him about my patient the former Dean and we struck up a conversation and never once mentioned football. 

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Like (+1) 2