Article: Today's NFL Would Have Been Perfect for Doug Flutie

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Just to be clear, this is the same Rob Johnson who led the Bills to the lead and had the game won, right?  Had they started Flutie, the Bills would have gotten their asses handed to them.

Thanks to a great defense. I forgot to mention that both starting tackles were hurt and they were still throwing down field in first half, or trying to, something like five first half sacks. They should have just started running the power eye in first half and they wouldn't have had as many problems, imo. So my main complaint isn't so much who was at QB but how they just Johnson t the wolves in first half. After I watched that game I also watched the Miami game from a year earlier and Flutie was pretty bad, so that might have colored the decision to start Johnson.

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

Just to be clear, this is the same Rob Johnson who led the Bills to the lead and had the game won, right?  Had they started Flutie, the Bills would have gotten their asses handed to them.

The same Johnson that got sacked SIX times in that game, correct? One of which was a safety.  The same Johnson that got sacked at a rate nearly 3 times higher than Flutie over their years together with the same O-line. Hey I have an idea let’s throw the most sacked qb per dropback of all time against “the freak” Jevon kearse! AWFUL team management..... the SAME rob johnson that had a LOSING record with the SAME EXACT team over the 3 years they both played there while flutie went 21-9

awful take, man. Johnson played well and won a meaningless game the week before against a colts team sitting their freaking starters. He never shoulda sniffed the field the next week. 

Gug, ive come to respect you as a poster and you you always seem to have fair takes...... Until you get all judgy about certain players personalities and then it seems like you throw your sense out the window. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Gug, ive come to respect you as a poster and you you always seem to have fair takes...... Until you get all judgy about certain players personalities and then it seems like you throw your sense out the window. 

The respect is certainly mutual, Stank.  I've felt this strongly about Flutie since he was on the team.  I think he was a horrible team mate, a me-first player to an extreme fault, a locker room divider, couldn't read a defense to save his life and fooled people into thinking exciting = good.  To a mildly lesser extent, I felt the same way about Taylor - also since his very first start as a Bill.

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Clearly, Flutie who passed for 360 yards in his own playoff loss couldn’t have possibly put up the amazing 10-22 for 131 yards passing that RJ did.  Flutie had his flaws but he wasn’t completely garbage like RJ.  

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm the wrong guy to ask because I couldn't stand Flutie from day one and my dislike of him grows every time I talk about him.  Worst Buffalo Bill, ever, in my opinion.  Two happiest days of my life as a Bills fan - when Flutie left and when Tyrod left.  Good riddance to bad rubbish.  Two peas in a pathetic pod.

Weird that you don’t like the last 2 qbs who took us to the playoffs.  They both had their faults but I enjoyed watching playoffs games and wins other scrubs like RJ taking sacks so he won’t lower his completion %.

On 7/13/2019 at 12:27 PM, Locomark said:

Honestly, today's NFL lineman and LBs are so much bigger and faster now that Flutie would be injured all the time after taking hits. Let's not kid ourselves. The game he played required him to be much more elusive than the defense. I don't know that he would be anymore.

Actually, the defensive players are becoming smaller and you aren’t allowed to blast players the way you used to.  It was a much more physical game when Flutie played.  Why do you think little guys like Cole and Edelman survive now? They would have been killed back in the day.  Much, much different game now.

• Like (+1) 1

Historically, I was never a big Flutie fan myself. When he arrived at TBD, I was a little skeptical. It was the aftermath of the Jim Kelly era and my thoughts were, Doug Flutie? What are the Bills doing? Is this some publicity stunt? What can he possibly do? Then when he helped rally the Bills from an 0-3 start to the 1998 season, I suppose he captured the imagination of the fan base and it took off!

Edited by Rocket94

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm the wrong guy to ask because I couldn't stand Flutie from day one and my dislike of him grows every time I talk about him.  Worst Buffalo Bill, ever, in my opinion.  Two happiest days of my life as a Bills fan - when Flutie left and when Tyrod left.  Good riddance to bad rubbish.  Two peas in a pathetic pod.

Flutie was a decent QB, but way below Kellly

it was the mentality of the fans who worshiped Doug, and STILL do, that was so brutal 

42 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Weird that you don’t like the last 2 qbs who took us to the playoffs.  They both had their faults but I enjoyed watching playoffs games and wins other scrubs like RJ taking sacks so he won’t lower his completion %.

Weird that you think either one of them had anything to do with the Bills going to the playoffs.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Flutie was a decent QB, but way below Kellly

it was the mentality of the fans who worshiped Doug, and STILL do, that was so brutal 

Exactly and some of the fan base were ripe to believe in something at the time. Flutie timed his arrival perfectly.

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

The same Johnson that got sacked SIX times in that game, correct? One of which was a safety.  The same Johnson that got sacked at a rate nearly 3 times higher than Flutie over their years together with the same O-line. Hey I have an idea let’s throw the most sacked qb per dropback of all time against “the freak” Jevon kearse! AWFUL team management..... the SAME rob johnson that had a LOSING record with the SAME EXACT team over the 3 years they both played there while flutie went 21-9

awful take, man. Johnson played well and won a meaningless game the week before against a colts team sitting their freaking starters. He never shoulda sniffed the field the next week. 

I never liked Johnson. The Bills signed him to a big contract based on a few good performances. Sure Flutie p..... some people off, but quite often he could back it up and win football games.

Edited by Rocket94

18 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Weird that you think either one of them had anything to do with the Bills going to the playoffs.

RJ record with the Bills - 9 wins, 17 losses

Flutie record with the Bills - 21 wins, 9 losses

probably just one big coincidence though! 

6 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I never liked Johnson. The Bills signed him to a big contract based on a few good performances. 

One good performance.  It was idiotic and some fans are so stubborn that can’t admit they were wrong.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

RJ record with the Bills - 9 wins, 17 losses

Flutie record with the Bills - 21 wins, 9 losses

probably just one big coincidence though! 

One good performance.  It was idiotic and some fans are so stubborn that can’t admit they were wrong.  

I never liked it. Also, right after the Kelly era, some fans were willing to believe anything! I knew that both Johnson and Flutie were not the long term answer...so the search for a franchise qb would begin!

Edited by Rocket94

38 minutes ago, Gugny said:

in 98 the bills started 0-3 with Johnson at the helm.... insert flutie. they finish 10-3 and have top ten yardage and scoring offense.... he was solid in his time for the bills. even in the next season there offense was no less than average. still middle of the pack in most rankings

Johnson had no business being on the field or sniffing that playoff game. these are fact that have little to do with flutie being a huge jag-off. I cant even figure out how its even up for debate. one had a horrible record and got sacked 3 times as much as the other did with the same exact team. 

…. on the bright side for you..... you've succeeded in taking my blood pressure through the roof by 10AM today. that's a solid start!

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

in 98 the bills started 0-3 with Johnson at the helm.... insert flutie. they finish 10-3 and have top ten yardage and scoring offense.... he was solid in his time for the bills.

Johnson had no business being on the field or sniffing that playoff game. these are fact that have little to do with flutie being a huge jag-off.

The Bills were winning with Flutie and that is what mattered. I tried to suspend my individual opinions of players and formulas...whatever the Bills were doing it was working.

6 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

in 98 the bills started 0-3 with Johnson at the helm.... insert flutie. they finish 10-3 and have top ten yardage and scoring offense.... he was solid in his time for the bills.

Johnson had no business being on the field or sniffing that playoff game. these are fact that have little to do with flutie being a huge jag-off.

You take your facts and stick 'em where the sun don't shine, mister.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Had a crusty lush way about him! Like he had a ready bottle of bourbon on hand!

Perfect cast for westerns on TV and film in his day, not the lead bad or good guy