Article: Today's NFL Would Have Been Perfect for Doug Flutie

9 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I don't think anyone has even called him great in this thread.... its basically people saying he won games and was solid in buffalo and a handful of others that are emotionally charged about him not being a "swell" guy and saying he was terrible. 

He was signed to an incentive based contract, Rob Johnson was hired and when he was injured Flutie took his place and he was great at hitting every incentive in contract.

Now someone as called him great.

11 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Flutie was a great QB, that is in the CFL.

I have already written this in this thread but once again... Flutie was a me first guy, it was more about Flutie than it was the team.  He purposely polarized the lockeroom against rob Johnson (and he got away with it because Wade Philips is a great coach but doesnt have the balls often to stand up to people).   When flutie was benched he pouted on the bench like an 8 yr old girl, refused to help, he is the definition of an unprofessional and a selfish spoiled brat player.  As maligned as rob johnson is around here he engineered one of the great Bills playoff comabacks and easily could have gone all the way to the Super Bowl, had not the music City Miracle fiasco  happened..then the ENTIRe Rob johnson-Doug Flutie Narrative could be dramatically different.

so the me first guy inspired his teammates to win 10 in a row after starting 0-3? i will stand by the fact that flutie had a 60% win history and Johnson was about 35% with similar talent.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/9/2019 at 1:54 PM, T master said:

While with the Bills .

Flute - 21-9 W/L - 3 yrs 

Johnson - 10-17 W/L-  And Johnson had 4 yrs to do this ? Stats off the charts good though ?

Just saying ...

All Flutie does is win!.........until he goes to San Diego and produces a 5-11 season.?

The sum of both of their parts was a franchise QB.............but individually they were both fatally flawed as starting QB's in the NFL.

On 7/9/2019 at 1:54 PM, T master said:

While with the Bills .

Flute - 21-9 W/L - 3 yrs 

Johnson - 10-17 W/L-  And Johnson had 4 yrs to do this ? Stats off the charts good though ?

Just saying ...

22-8. Never, ever forget Foxboro.

Edited by dave mcbride

37 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I really shouldn't have watched that.... ???

who throws that freaking flag there?!?!?

Answer: no legit ref does

I remember that game vividly, i can still recall how dismal and depressing it was to watch the end. Little did I know the real Pats nightmare was yet to begin.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I really shouldn't have watched that.... ???

who throws that freaking flag there?!?!?

Walt Coleman does. He refereed that game (and the tuck rule game).

It wasn't just the flag either. Shawn Jefferson was a full yard short of the first down. It's as clear as effing day, and the ref was standing right there.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/9/2019 at 7:48 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Wilson is a better runner.........he is faster and more of a threat to gain yardage....... but he's not better at avoiding being hit hard.    Russell takes a beating at times.

In seven full seasons as a starter, Wilson has started 16 regular season games in each season.  I think he's doing okay avoiding the big hits

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

All Flutie does is win!.........until he goes to San Diego and produces a 5-11 season.?

The sum of both of their parts was a franchise QB.............but individually they were both fatally flawed as starting QB's in the NFL.

Yet one was much better with the same exact team.  

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Wasn't he also 8-5 with the Bears? I do wonder how he would do today. The defenders are faster and even taller so I have my doubts.....

On 7/8/2019 at 1:37 PM, ProcessAccepted said:

In today's NFL he would not have been banished to Canada because of his height. He would have gotten a fair shake.

We've had top tier defenses several times over the 17 year playoff drought and didn't make the plays on offense when we needed. Flutie was a difference maker, just look how we did with him playing versus Rob Johnson

I can’t agree that Flutie was banished to Canada and didn’t get a fair shake. He spent four years in the NFL and one in the USFL before heading north, after all. He had plenty of opportunities to nail down an NFL job but he wasn’t ready. And crossing the picket lines in ‘87 didn’t help his cause any, either. Tough being a QB and leading a team when half the guys think you’re a scab. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Why am I not surprised you're a flutie guy?

And why am I not surprised you’re a fan of the dumb guy who sucked? Sorry, I like winners.  

Man, I wish it was required people had to post with their real picture.  I bet you are Flutie’s size and  this is you Iin real life. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1148978935713140736

Edited by C.Biscuit97

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And why am I not surprised you’re a fan of the dumb guy who sucked? Sorry, I like winners.  

Man, I wish it was required people had to post with their real picture.  I bet you are Flutie’s size and  this is you Iin real life. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1148978935713140736

Yeah, no, dude. I'm an ogre.

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m sitting here, on Vaca, chilling and bored.

I just read this whole 5 page thread and no one pointed out this stat.

Rushing League Ranking

1998 1 in attempts.  3 in yards

1999. 2 in attempts. 8 in yards

Flutie had an arm that seemed to get weaker as the season went on.

He threw more balls into the ground, short of his open receivers than any Bills QB I can think of other than Feragamo.

As someone pointed out, he couldn’t throw the 10 yard out because of his lack of arm. 

Also, that stupid jump/ spin fake.

Those teams won based on D and Ground / Ball control offense. Flutie could manage a game. He couldn’t win a playoff game and he certainly wouldn’t have won us a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Gugny said:

In seven full seasons as a starter, Wilson has started 16 regular season games in each season.  I think he's doing okay avoiding the big hits

He's very durable for a guy who gets sacked 40-50 times per year.    The physical condition he's left in at the end of the regular season is another matter.    

Flutie didn't have that problem..........he got sacked less in 3 seasons in Buffalo(48 times) than Russ got sacked just last season(51).

On 7/9/2019 at 1:03 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think Russel Wilson is just as good as Flutie every was, look at all the runs in the NFL Wilson has had and has never missed a game in 7 full seasons.  In regular NFL play he has rushed 645 times, pretty extraorodiay.

He's a more dangerous runner than Flutie.    He's also bigger, stronger and is a much better passer,  in great part due a significantly stronger throwing arm.    But he gets sacked at an alarming rate.  Not nearly as elusive behind the LOS as Flutie.  But Russ is a likely HOF QB.   Flutie is at about the level of Ryan Fitzpatrick as an NFL QB.   Shot in the arm in limited exposure.........liability as a long term starter.  He and Russ aren't comparable as overall QB's.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's very durable for a guy who gets sacked 40-50 times per year.    The physical condition he's left in at the end of the regular season is another matter.    

Flutie didn't have that problem..........he got sacked less in 3 seasons in Buffalo(48 times) than Russ got sacked just last season(51).

Comparing Flutie to Wilson is silly.  And comparing Wilson to Fitzpatrick might even be sillier. 

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Easy to avoid the sack when Antowain Smith is holding the ball....