Article: Today's NFL Would Have Been Perfect for Doug Flutie

37 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I had already mentioned that Flutie was a "winner".

Let me reiterate - I loved Flutie in Buffalo.   I was just not blinded by his Hail Mary passes and Canadian stardom to recognize / realize that he was OK but not great.  

I don't think anyone has even called him great in this thread.... its basically people saying he won games and was solid in buffalo and a handful of others that are emotionally charged about him not being a "swell" guy and saying he was terrible. 

45 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Flutie was a great QB, that is in the CFL.

I have already written this in this thread but once again... Flutie was a me first guy, it was more about Flutie than it was the team.  He purposely polarized the lockeroom against rob Johnson (and he got away with it because Wade Philips is a great coach but doesnt have the balls often to stand up to people).   When flutie was benched he pouted on the bench like an 8 yr old girl, refused to help, he is the definition of an unprofessional and a selfish spoiled brat player.  As maligned as rob johnson is around here he engineered one of the great Bills playoff comabacks and easily could have gone all the way to the Super Bowl, had not the music City Miracle fiasco  happened..then the ENTIRe Rob johnson-Doug Flutie Narrative could be dramatically different.

for 3 years the same exact team flutie had a winning record with, had a crap record with Johnson at the helm.... the narrative is plenty accurate. 

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

1) W/L is a TEAM Stat, not just a QB Stat.  He had one of the great defenses the Bills ever had.

2) His one time in the playoffs he choked fumbled away the game on the 5 yard line, win-less in post season.

3) Figure it out for yourself,  your best "selling " point is he was better than rob Johnson.

again... the year he came in on an 0-3 team and they finished 10-6, the bills had the 15th ranked defense in points allowed and 6th in yds. meanwhile the offense was top ten in points scored and yds. apparently you missed that the first time I said it.... I get it. it doesn't fit narrative on your end.

he was a solid qb in his stint in buffalo. you don't think he was a good guy. whatever.  he won way more games than the other guy and led solid offenses. please go look at how those offenses performed before you spout off anymore about how it was just the defense. I already showed you numbers from 98 that cut  your argument in half.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

6 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

for 3 years the same exact team flutie had a winning record with, had a crap record with Johnson at the helm.... the narrative is plenty accurate. 

Fine, you think Flutie was a "great" QB because his teams had a better W/L record than R Johnson so be it

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Fine, you think Flutie was a "great" QB because his teams had a better W/L record than R Johnson so be it

right so now when I say "solid" it means great..... you're a character.

its obvious you cant talk with a clear head on the matter. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

2 hours ago, T master said:

Why was AB let go ? Why was Leveon aloud to walk ? Why was Hershel Walker aloud to go ? 

You may be correct in that the stats prove that Johnson was a better QB but there was only 1 stat that Flutie beat Johnson in which was wins & the other you can't measure Leadership ...

No they don't.

The prove the opposite.

The modern NFL is a better fit for Flutie(and most QB's) but the main difference between late career Flutie and today's "short" QB's is that he didn't have the throwing arm that guys like Wilson or Murray or even early-Bills Tyrod had.

If you can't throw a deep out consistently from the pocket you will almost inevitably be forced to.

It happened to Flutie then and it would have happened again now.

And his style of scrambling would actually not work as well with todays defenders.    They are faster.    Flutie was super quick and elusive but he wasn't going to be breaking off 40 yard runs like Josh Allen or Tyrod did in the modern game.   Those guys can eat up ground with real speed and the threat of the deep ball stretched defenses to allow them the space.    Flutie would still be a dynamic scrambler behind the LOS but he'd have been playing in a pinball machine at the next level against LB's and DB's that were already squatting on his short throws.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

The modern NFL is a better fit for Flutie(and most QB's) but the main difference between late career Flutie and today's "short" QB's is that he didn't have the throwing arm that guys like Wilson or Murray or even early-Bills Tyrod had.

If you can't throw a deep out consistently from the pocket you will almost inevitably be forced to.

And his style of scrambling would actually not work as well with todays defenders.    They are faster.    Flutie was super quick and elusive but he wasn't going to be breaking off 40 yard runs like Josh Allen or Tyrod did in the modern game.   Those guys can eat up ground with real speed and the threat of the deep ball stretched defenses to allow them the space.    Flutie would still be a dynamic scrambler behind the LOS but he'd have been playing in a pinball machine at the next level against LB's and DB's that were already squatting on his short throws.

He was pretty good as a runner, but his real forte was always scrambling. That's a sixth-sense sort of thing, and he had it. 

Flutie wasn't good in any NFL era. A few fun plays here and there but overall the guy sucked at QB in the NFL and because he was short who occasionally made an exciting play, this some how endeared himself to a very strange group of revisionist.

Was the guy over rated. OFF THE CHARTS...

Just now, dave mcbride said:

He was pretty good as a runner, but his real forte was always scrambling. That's a sixth-sense sort of thing, and he had it. 

Exactly but I think people confuse the two though.............very different skill. 

I think people who don't realize that think..........."hey he would gave been just as dangerous in the open field as Russell Wilson is now"...........but Russell Wilson he was not.   The guys making headlines today are faster and more of a threat to throw the ball downfield.   That's what equates to yardage gained running as a passer in the modern NFL.   DF was good for about 10 yards on an occasional bootleg dash to the sideline but Rob Johnson was actually the guy who could tuck and RUN for a 40 yard gain.

As far as scrambling and avoiding being hit hard there has never been anyone like Flutie, IMO.    I don't know if there is actual footage of him taking a massive hit. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, StHustle said:

All he did was make the Pro Bowl...and no not as an alternate like Tyrod. The lack of respect for Flutie from Bills fans always perplexes me. People got mad at Flutie for being pissed about being the FIRST (and still ONLY) starting QB to be benched for the playoffs in NFL HISTORY. Plenty of the players were also pissed about it and somehow Flutie got labeled a cancer cause the locker room naturally split after such a dumb decision. 

I’ll go out on a limb and say Flutie is LESS suited for today’s nfl. 

Hes a fine enough player but being a novelty worked to his favor. In a league accustomed to his play his shortcomings would be magnified.

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Big time agreement here.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Exactly but I think people confuse the two though.............very different skill. 

I think people who don't realize that think..........."hey he would gave been just as dangerous in the open field as Russell Wilson is now"...........but Russell Wilson he was not.   The guys making headlines today are faster and more of a threat to throw the ball downfield.   That's what equates to yardage gained running as a passer in the modern NFL.   DF was good for about 10 yards on an occasional bootleg dash to the sideline but Rob Johnson was actually the guy who could tuck and RUN for a 40 yard gain.

As far as scrambling and avoiding being hit hard there has never been anyone like Flutie, IMO.    I don't know if there is actual footage of him taking a massive hit. 

I think Russel Wilson is just as good as Flutie every was, look at all the runs in the NFL Wilson has had and has never missed a game in 7 full seasons.  In regular NFL play he has rushed 645 times, pretty extraorodiay.

Doesn't matter what anyone wants to say, all that is 100% certain is that it was an idiotic decision to bench your year-long starter who lead you to the playoffs in favor of an unproven backup for the Wildcard game.

Never happened before, never will happen again. Doesn't matter if Johnson didn't lose us the game, it was a stupid decision. Fact.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

No they don't.

The prove the opposite.

While with the Bills .

Flute - 21-9 W/L - 3 yrs 

Johnson - 10-17 W/L-  And Johnson had 4 yrs to do this ? Stats off the charts good though ?

Just saying ...

26 minutes ago, T master said:

While with the Bills .

Flute - 21-9 W/L - 3 yrs 

Johnson - 10-17 W/L-  And Johnson had 4 yrs to do this ? Stats off the charts good though ?

Just saying ...

Correct

Edited by Mr. WEO

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think Russel Wilson is just as good as Flutie every was, look at all the runs in the NFL Wilson has had and has never missed a game in 7 full seasons.  In regular NFL play he has rushed 645 times, pretty extraorodiay.

Wilson is a better runner.........he is faster and more of a threat to gain yardage....... but he's not better at avoiding being hit hard.    Russell takes a beating at times.

• Like (+1) 1