Article: Today's NFL Would Have Been Perfect for Doug Flutie

6 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Sheesh this is totally funny - I really honestly did kinda forget just how much polarization Mr, Flakes brought to this city.  Kinda like Potus.....either you accept him or you don't.  Please please lets not let this thread descend into the politico morass.  Stay classy!

BTW....I was always 50/50 with Flakes....I rooted for him as he did add the excitement factor but I wasn't too sad to see him leave.....at all. 

You bring the potus into it, then plea that the thread doesn't get political ... even though it had nothing political before your post.  Bizarre.

one of my fondest Bills game memories is the Jax game Flutie walkoff TD, but he is a smaller Tyrod Taylor . super exciting, etc etc, but not gonna get you to the promised land in today's NFL.   In today's NFL, you need a complete team, No. 1 , plus a big mobile decision maker at QB.  If you don't have both of these things, enough teams will have exploited your weaknesses enough times to keep you out of the Big Game. 

BTW, Seahawks haven't done much since the non-Wilson parts of the team fell apart. 

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

False.

True.  People forget about the sack rate when looking at the numbers when comparing the two.  They only see a similar passer rating.  In 1998 Johnson started six games and got sacked 29 times with a sack rate of 21.3% (went 3-3).  Flutie started 10 and was sacked 12 times with a sack rate of 3.3% (went 7-3).  They had the same offensive line.  

Same goes for 2000 when Johnson started 10 games and had a sack rate of 13.8% (went 4-7).  Flutie started 5 and had a sack rate of 4.1% (went 4-1).  When you have a good defense you need to keep drives alive and not take negative plays.  Flutie succeeded in that area and Johnson didn't.  That's why Flutie was the better quarterback for that team in the late 90's despite being a selfish prick. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL

Disagree and Agree.

Flutie is not perfect for a Pass Happy Offense. 

Flutie was "overrated" because of his Canadian fan base. 

The Flutie (gimmick) signing was to get more people into the seats.  

Flutie was awesome!

We got season tickets that year!

I’m not sure why people don’t like Flutie.  I know he was disruptive disputing with Johnson for the starting spot, but he won for us, and Johnson was horrible in that Titans game.  It was a shame with the #1 defense, we could have won that game.  That would have most likely brought us to another SB.

18 hours ago, row_33 said:

the Pro Bowl?  geez.... that's something else....

he was despised by every teammate (see if anyone has anything good to say about him, outside of a vague charity reference)

he filmed the throwing of a football into the face of his autistic son to show us what it means, i think everyone on the planet knew the situation without seeing that display

he never won a playoff game in the NFL, was handed possibly the best team ever in the 86 Bears and effed that up

but over all... it's not his fault, and i like his work on commentary and college talkshows, he's not a bad guy

THE PROBLEM WAS.... that every slacker loser I knew WORSHIPED him and said he was better than Jim Kelly.... and they still are like this....

I have never heard anybody ever say this.  

I am not a Flutie fanatic or anything, but that first year he played the offense was very good, second year teams started catching on but they were still effective.  If Flutie starts that Titans game there is no way the Bills lose.  Looking at it that way yes he did get a raw deal in Buffalo.  It was an unprecedented move triggered by Ralph Wilson.  What team benches their QB 3 days before the playoff game when he started 15 out of 16 games that season. 

15 hours ago, T master said:

In the 3 yrs Phillips was the coach of the Bills his record was 29-19 in 98 the Bills went 10-6, & in 99 they went 11-5 making it to the play offs the last yr they went 8-8 which wasn't that the yr Johnson was the starter (not sure) & the 27 yr old couldn't do as good as the 38 yr old wow to bad the little guy sucked so bad ...

He (Flutie) was so bad that the only category that he beat Johnson in the entire time they were here was WINS !! ?

so i'll take the lower stats if it comes with wins over gaudy stats & being a LOSER !! 

ALL DAY Just saying !! 

1) W/L is a TEAM Stat, not just a QB Stat.  He had one of the great defenses the Bills ever had.

2) His one time in the playoffs he choked fumbled away the game on the 5 yard line, win-less in post season.

3) Figure it out for yourself,  your best "selling " point is he was better than rob Johnson.

19 hours ago, Brother Hesekiah said:

The BILLS won games because they had a top-5 defense in 1998 and 1999 and Flutie and the rest of the offense did just enough not to lose.

In addition to letting Flutie go, the Bills had to purge their roster after the 1999 season due to salary cap issues. They missed the playoffs for 17 straight years because management was never able to restock the cupboard after that.

Flutie correlation is not Flutie causation.

Rob Johnson was 0-3 and Flutie went 11-2 you can argue how much he was responsible for but he was good and he was a big portion of the causation.

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

1) W/L is a TEAM Stat, not just a QB Stat.  He had one of the great defenses the Bills ever had.

2) His one time in the playoffs he choked fumbled away the game on the 5 yard line, win-less in post season.

3) Figure it out for yourself,  your best "selling " point is he was better than rob Johnson.

what did Flutie do to you? you are picking one play to rip him apart? he had thrown for 360 yards but it is his fault Andre Reed ran into an official at the 1 yd line. Dude could play- just because he is Drew Brees does not mean he was not a great QB

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

what did Flutie do to you? you are picking one play to rip him apart? he had thrown for 360 yards but it is his fault Andre Reed ran into an official at the 1 yd line. Dude could play- just because he is Drew Brees does not mean he was not a great QB

Flutie was a great QB, that is in the CFL.

I have already written this in this thread but once again... Flutie was a me first guy, it was more about Flutie than it was the team.  He purposely polarized the lockeroom against rob Johnson (and he got away with it because Wade Philips is a great coach but doesnt have the balls often to stand up to people).   When flutie was benched he pouted on the bench like an 8 yr old girl, refused to help, he is the definition of an unprofessional and a selfish spoiled brat player.  As maligned as rob johnson is around here he engineered one of the great Bills playoff comabacks and easily could have gone all the way to the Super Bowl, had not the music City Miracle fiasco  happened..then the ENTIRe Rob johnson-Doug Flutie Narrative could be dramatically different.

16 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That and the 21 wins.

I had already mentioned that Flutie was a "winner".

Let me reiterate - I loved Flutie in Buffalo.   I was just not blinded by his Hail Mary passes and Canadian stardom to recognize / realize that he was OK but not great.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Bills Fan in Haiti said:

In the CFL, he was was twice traded/let go as the reigning MVP ... why would a team let the league MVP go? Probably because he wasn’t worth dealing with at times.

Why was AB let go ? Why was Leveon aloud to walk ? Why was Hershel Walker aloud to go ? 

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

False.

You may be correct in that the stats prove that Johnson was a better QB but there was only 1 stat that Flutie beat Johnson in which was wins & the other you can't measure Leadership ...

17 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That and the 21 wins.

21-9  versus 9-17

7600 yards 47 TDs  194 YPG  versus 4800 yards 27 TD 160 YPG

Flute haters are a lot like another bunch but i don't want to make this political, they will never see the good that is or was because they choose to wear blinders & nothing in black & white or on video that proves other wise will be seen to them as a positive .

It's said that Flutie was a terrible team mate & tour down the locker room, well when you prove that you are the better player & have the history that he had & had been ? on as many times by owners & coaches in the NFL & CFL after proving your self i would be a ass too !

There is still a CFL owner that admits he still owes Flutie money from his contract that he signed as the team owner but says he will never pay him the monies owed if that's not getting ? on i don't know what is . 

It has been said that when Phillips made the call to put Johnson in that the rest of the team was dumb founded & went along with the call but couldn't believe it because of what Flutie had done to that point to get them there I think Ralph had a lot to do with that call & i would like to here interviews with the players on that team . 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, fan_in_tx said:

All I know is watch the Miami playoff Game.. he was not the problem and should have won that game.   Fumbles by Molds and Reed and the Reed ref (no touchdown call) really hurt the team.  But Doug had a great game but all anyone will remember on this board is that he held on to the ball 1 sec too long when Thurman missed a block on Trace Armstrong.

Moulds - 1 turnover (1 fumble)

Reed - 1 turnover (1 fumble)

Flutie - 3 turnovers (2 fumbles and 1 pick)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2