Article: Today's NFL Would Have Been Perfect for Doug Flutie

In the CFL, he was was twice traded/let go as the reigning MVP ... why would a team let the league MVP go? Probably because he wasn’t worth dealing with at times.

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, StHustle said:

All he did was make the Pro Bowl...and no not as an alternate like Tyrod. The lack of respect for Flutie from Bills fans always perplexes me. People got mad at Flutie for being pissed about being the FIRST (and still ONLY) starting QB to be benched for the playoffs in NFL HISTORY. Plenty of the players were also pissed about it and somehow Flutie got labeled a cancer cause the locker room naturally split after such a dumb decision. 

the Pro Bowl?  geez.... that's something else....

he was despised by every teammate (see if anyone has anything good to say about him, outside of a vague charity reference)

he filmed the throwing of a football into the face of his autistic son to show us what it means, i think everyone on the planet knew the situation without seeing that display

he never won a playoff game in the NFL, was handed possibly the best team ever in the 86 Bears and effed that up

but over all... it's not his fault, and i like his work on commentary and college talkshows, he's not a bad guy

THE PROBLEM WAS.... that every slacker loser I knew WORSHIPED him and said he was better than Jim Kelly.... and they still are like this....

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brother Hesekiah said:

https://deadspin.com/todays-nfl-would-have-been-perfect-for-doug-flutie-1834213283

Interesting read, even though I was always in the camp that Flutie was overrated.

Flutie was over after season 1. NFL DCs figured out not to bite on his little "pixie hop" pass fake.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

" Part of this was dictated by fundamental differences in the Canadian game. CFL fields are longer (110 yards between goal lines, 20-yard end zones) and wider than American fields (65 yards versus 53½ yards), ..."

Change the field size, and throw in CFL level talent, he would probably would excel.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL

Disagree and Agree.

Flutie is not perfect for a Pass Happy Offense. 

Flutie was "overrated" because of his Canadian fan base. 

The Flutie (gimmick) signing was to get more people into the seats.  

Flutie also had a great defense, i believe his best year here the defense set a then season record for low number of points allowed.

Flutie also was a terrible leader imo, he was never a teem players, he set out to destroy Rob Johnson and divided the lockeroom 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Flutie was as bad a QB as he was a teammate. 

flutie was a solid qb, as a whole, during his time in buffalo.... I have no clue how anyone couldn't think so.

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Flutie also had a great defense, i believe his best year here the defense set a then season record for low number of points allowed.

Flutie also was a terrible leader imo, he was never a teem players, he set out to destroy Rob Johnson and divided the lockeroom 

nah. his best year was in 98 and their defense was 15th in points allowed while the offense was 7th in points scored.

he eventually got figured out but he won a good amount of games in buffalo and led solid offenses.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

flutie was a solid qb, as a whole, during his time in buffalo.... I have no clue how anyone couldn't think so.

I will respectfully disagree.  Terrible QB.  Terrible teammate.  He's the reason I disliked Tyrod so much.  Because they had so much in common.  Their departures from the team are my top two Bills Fan Moments of my lifetime as a Bills fan.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Look at the stats, in three years her he never completed more than 57% of his passes,  barely averaged of 200 yds/gm, J Allen does that this year and watch him get excoriated.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I will respectfully disagree.  Terrible QB.  Terrible teammate.  He's the reason I disliked Tyrod so much.  Because they had so much in common.  Their departures from the team are my top two Bills Fan Moments of my lifetime as a Bills fan.

Spot on although Flutie was a much worse teammate and leader.  Tyrod never, to my knowledge, tried to tear apart the lockeroom and destroy (R Johnson) his competition, Flutie was a me first player.

I recall the infamous Music  city Miracle game and the lead up to it, Fltuie sat there like a little baby pouting through the entire game, didnt do ANYTHING to help R Johnson n that game, nothing.  Selfish little brat because he couldnt start.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

I think you have solid takes most of the time. but this..... geez.

fluties first year he played good ball. its not really even up for debate. all while leading the top ten scoring and yardage offense. I mean the freaking team started 0-3 before they changed to him and finished 10-6.... his 2nd year he was basically figured out but still managed games and was a qb on a team that was in the top half of the league in scoring and yds again.... nothing special, but he had one really nice year and another average one before it was time to go.

your  huge problems with 2 qb's that came into buffalo for short stints and won more than they lost is just really odd to me. I don't think there is much to be hated about either player. both were limited, did what they could with it, made a playoff run, and then we moved on as they got figured out.... I think your hang up has something to do with them as people, although I don't think I've ever heard any player say anything remotely bad about taylor.... and that's where I couldn't care less. I've never cared about what kind of person any of the bills players are.

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Look at the stats, in three years her he never completed more than 57% of his passes,  barely averaged of 200 yds/gm, J Allen does that this year and watch him get excoriated.

right. because the game hasn't changed in the last 20 years. good call.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

Spot on although Flutie was a much worse teammate and leader.  Tyrod never, to my knowledge, tried to tear apart the lockeroom and destroy (R Johnson) his competition, Flutie was a me first player.

I recall the infamous Music  city Miracle game and the lead up to it, Fltuie sat there like a little baby pouting through the entire game, didnt do ANYTHING to help R Johnson n that game, nothing.  Selfish little brat because he couldnt start.

Agree 100%.  Other than his abysmal play, my biggest knock on Taylor was when he whipped out the race card.  Before anyone asks, I'm not providing a link.  It's out there and I've provided it many, many times.

Back to Flutie ... easily the most selfish player the Bills have ever had.

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think you have solid takes most of the time. but this..... geez.

fluties first year he played good ball. its not really even up for debate. all while leading the top ten scoring and yardage offense. I mean the freaking team started 0-3 before they changed to him and finished 10-6.... his 2nd year he was basically figured out but still managed games and was a qb on a team that was in the top half of the league in scoring and yds again.... nothing special, but he had one really nice year and another average one before it was time to go.

your  huge problems with 2 qb's that came into buffalo for short stints and won more than they lost is just really odd to me. I don't think there is much to be hated about either player. both were limited, did what they could with it, made a playoff run, and then we moved on as they got figured out.... I think your hang up has something to do with them as people, although I don't think I've ever heard any player say anything remotely bad about taylor.... and that's where I couldn't care less. I've never cared about what kind of person any of the bills players are.

Well maybe you should,.   QB is radically different from any other position, being a great teammate and a leader is extremely important in the NFL. 

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL

Disagree and Agree.

That and the 21 wins.

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

In today's NFL he would not have been banished to Canada because of his height. He would have gotten a fair shake.

We've had top tier defenses several times over the 17 year playoff drought and didn't make the plays on offense when we needed. Flutie was a difference maker, just look how we did with him playing versus Rob Johnson

21-9  versus 9-17

7600 yards 47 TDs  194 YPG  versus 4800 yards 27 TD 160 YPG

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Brother Hesekiah said:

The BILLS won games because they had a top-5 defense in 1998 and 1999 and Flutie and the rest of the offense did just enough not to lose.

In addition to letting Flutie go, the Bills had to purge their roster after the 1999 season due to salary cap issues. They missed the playoffs for 17 straight years because management was never able to restock the cupboard after that.

Flutie correlation is not Flutie causation.

Didn't do so well with Rob Johnson at the helm before or after he played

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Well maybe you should,.   QB is radically different from any other position, being a great teammate and a leader is extremely important in the NFL. 

ya know what, you're right..... but when somebody says he was terrible during his time with buffalo, when that's blatantly false, it tells me they may not be thinking clearly about his actual play because they let their judgement of what kind of person they thought he was cloud things a bit. at the end of the day it comes down to if a dude can perform or not. he did for bit, and that's why he stuck for a couple of years. I think the league figuring out his game had much more to do with his departure than him being a jerk.

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Many said the same about Tim Tebow too,

I loved Flutie.  BUT I knew from the get go what and who he was

Doug may not  be "from Canada"  But he was a Grey Cup winner and He earned three Grey Cup MVP awards

Russell Wilson and Flutie in the same sentence?......seriously?......we'll never know because Graham was our savior pick (COUGH)..............

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL

Disagree and Agree.

^^^^THIS^^^^^

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL

Disagree and Agree.

Yah he wasn't worth a S**T all's the little guy did was win while he was in Buffalo & most every other place he was at & even though the CFL is a huge joke of a league he holds the most championships in that BS league .

I totally agree he was a waste of time they should have never even let the guy play football he was just a crappy player that's why they need to bring in more guys like Jamarcus Russel that can throw 80 yards on his knees OH & who was that other really great QB coming out of college that had such a bright future UM YAH YAH Ryan Leaf !

Just what the NFL needs more of guys that look the part "Prototypical NFL QB's" !  ? Leave the little guys like Flutie, Russel Wilson & Brees all those little guys that can't play & show no leadership skills leave their butts where they deserve to be on the sidelines ...