Article: Today's NFL Would Have Been Perfect for Doug Flutie

3 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

All I know is that Flutie won games by making plays. 

When they sent Flutie to the Chargers we only missed the playoffs for 17 years straight.

Flutie is a Russell Wilson caliber QB and I not from Canada.

Many said the same about Tim Tebow too,

I loved Flutie.  BUT I knew from the get go what and who he was

Doug may not  be "from Canada"  But he was a Grey Cup winner and He earned three Grey Cup MVP awards

5 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Flutie is a Russell Wilson caliber QB and I not from Canada

I think Canada just breathed a sigh of relief.

That's an awful take.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, eball said:

I think Canada just breathed a sigh of relief.

That's an awful take.

so was the one he was responding to....

appeasing our Canadian fanbase with that signing? seriously? that's dumb.

flutie played some solid ball in buffalo.

• Like (+1) 4

42 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

When they sent Flutie to the Chargers we only missed the playoffs for 17 years straight.

What was it...1998 and the Bills started 0-3? Flutie was way huge and very instrumental in the Bills resurgence. I believe they rallied to win the next five games. All he did was make plays for two years or so until teams caught on.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The BILLS won games because they had a top-5 defense in 1998 and 1999 and Flutie and the rest of the offense did just enough not to lose.

In addition to letting Flutie go, the Bills had to purge their roster after the 1999 season due to salary cap issues. They missed the playoffs for 17 straight years because management was never able to restock the cupboard after that.

Flutie correlation is not Flutie causation.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Many said the same about Tim Tebow too,

I loved Flutie.  BUT I knew from the get go what and who he was

Doug may not  be "from Canada"  But he was a Grey Cup winner and He earned three Grey Cup MVP awards

In today's NFL he would not have been banished to Canada because of his height. He would have gotten a fair shake.

3 minutes ago, Brother Hesekiah said:

The BILLS won games because they had a top-5 defense in 1998 and 1999 and Flutie and the rest of the offense did just enough not to lose.

In addition to letting Flutie go, the Bills had to purge their roster after the 1999 season due to salary cap issues. They missed the playoffs for 17 straight years because management was never able to restock the cupboard after that.

We've had top tier defenses several times over the 17 year playoff drought and didn't make the plays on offense when we needed. Flutie was a difference maker, just look how we did with him playing versus Rob Johnson

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

In today's NFL he would not have been banished to Canada because of his height. He would have gotten a fair shake.

He got a fair shake.  In Buffalo and New England.

Then many years later Tuhrod Taylor gotten a fair shake in Buffalo and Cleveland.

Successful Running QB's are a very rare breed. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

so was the one he was responding to....

appeasing our Canadian fanbase with that signing? seriously? that's dumb.

flutie played some solid ball in buffalo.

Until Belichick figured out that you just had to keep him in the pocket to beat him.  The rest of the NFL soon followed, after which we had a 13 point per game offense.  Good thing we had a 12 "points per game against" defense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Brother Hesekiah said:

in 98 the bills offense was 7th in scoring and 6th in total yds while the defense was 15th in points against and 6th in total yds given up. you may need to brush up on your history a bit..... even the next yea in 99 when the bills did, in fact, have an elite defense the bills offense was still 16th in points scored and 11th in total yds.... those flutie led offenses usually did plenty.

he came in hot for a year and gradually teams dialed in on what he did well and he cooled off. but he had 2 solid years in buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

All he did was make the Pro Bowl...and no not as an alternate like Tyrod. The lack of respect for Flutie from Bills fans always perplexes me. People got mad at Flutie for being pissed about being the FIRST (and still ONLY) starting QB to be benched for the playoffs in NFL HISTORY. Plenty of the players were also pissed about it and somehow Flutie got labeled a cancer cause the locker room naturally split after such a dumb decision. 

Edited by StHustle
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

12 minutes ago, StHustle said:

All he did was make the Pro Bowl...and no not as an alternate like Tyrod. The lack of respect for Flutie from Bills fans always perplexes me. People got mad at Flutie for being pissed about being the FIRST (and still ONLY) starting QB to be benched for the playoffs in NFL HISTORY. Plenty of the players were also pissed about it and somehow Flutie got labeled a cancer cause the locker room naturally split after such a dumb decision. 

He was a cancer BEFORE that.

Look it up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

He was a cancer BEFORE that.

Look it up.

Look it up where? How was he a cancer before being benched? Sounds like your own BS opinion to me and the first I heard of.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1