DC Weather Pictures from This Morning

plenzmd1

huge downpour in Leesburg this AM about 6:45  7:45 ish

Visibility was bad and with it being so dark hard to keep track of traffic when changing lanes 

there was a lot of water on the road but not that much flooding (at that time)

I received 3  - EMERGENCY FLOOD Warnings. 

cell phones have been blaring all morning 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
Typo 6 not 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It was okay at my house - which is in a flood zone.  But through most of the region, it's been psychotic.  Two inches of rain in half an hour.  The entire city of Frederick was closed this morning.

The weather forecast for Ellicott City is "Oh hell, not again."  They're likely to see their third thousand-year flood in five years.

The DC Metro is simultaneously flooded and on fire, which is something of a record even for the DC Metro.

• Sad 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It was okay at my house - which is in a flood zone.  But through most of the region, it's been psychotic.  Two inches of rain in half an hour.  The entire city of Frederick was closed this morning.

The weather forecast for Ellicott City is "Oh hell, not again."  They're likely to see their third thousand-year flood in five years.

The DC Metro is simultaneously flooded and on fire, which is something of a record even for the DC Metro.

Poor Elllicot City..

Stay safe! 

We had 6" of rain a few weeks ago.  Just in a local pocket of a few towns here.  Flash flooding many people.  Water receeded within 24 hours.  We stayed dry... But man 6"  is a lot!  My sump pump working constant for 24 hours... Had stand by and genset ready to go just in case. I think I can handle ~10 inches of rain... We had that in late 1990s with no flooding.  Storm drains here (new part of town) handle it and retention ponds contain it.  Older part of town really floods... Yet... Over 5", things back up and the field behind house turns into lake, but we are a good two feet up!

I got an auxiliary pump in sump as a booster on separate discharge line... Just in case.   Here is my log (I have it on WiFi/Smart System), storm was on 27th of June... I moved like 17,000 gallons.  That would probably have filled my basement to the floor joists!

You can see when the rains come and go with when the drain system around house begins to run!  That's all above ground water entering the system from the sky around house.  Roof surface area drains to downspouts and gets diverted in separate pipe away from foundation and doesn't enter sump system:

Screenshot_20190708-103213.jpg

Made it into Arlington right as the rains started...neighborhood in Fairfax County is saturated with many roads closed, including US Rt. 50, a very major thoroughfare.  Thankfully, my home and family are dry.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

flooding-canal-cars-_hpMain_20190708-101

I live

I live a mile or so from there and in my driveway before there was several inches flowing down it to storm drain at end of yard but fortunately I cleared storm drain after last big rainstorm.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I live a mile or so from there and in my driveway before there was several inches flowing down it to storm drain at end of yard but fortunately I cleared storm drain after last big rainstorm.

I always keep the drains on my street clear.  So many lazy, clueless fockers!

Actually, public works comes by and thanks me.  Makes their job easier. LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We have storm drain at street and then one at end of driveway. Driveway goes entire length of lot and turns behind house, I have commented in forum I have an odd property.  At storm drain in our property a large rubber coated steel mesh grid, type used to drain dishes, which we use to keep the branches and more solid stuff out of our drain which works quite well as long we remember to clean it.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Exiled...in Cheektowaga,it takes a three person crew ($23 a hour per) to do what you do alone.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL   I would hope :death: .................

I would shut off ASAP and disco it from the house!  Cap it.  Looked like it was still connected. ???

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Exiled...in Cheektowaga,it takes a three person crew ($23 a hour per) to do what you do alone.

Ooops!  I am killing the job!  LoL...

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

In the late 80's I was dating/living with a chick from Sykesville. I was taken to Ellicott City for dinner... excellent food and the creek or river was right below us. Walked up and down all the shops and stores afterwards, very cool place. Sucks to hear that what I experienced then is gone for the most part. That part of the USA is beautiful... wonder why she had decided to move to Florida.