Do You Remember Where You Were the First Time You Heard A Song?

T&C

I was 4, sitting in the front seat of a 1961 Ford Falcon with my Dad. We were at the Twin Fair kind of near the airport ... Mom went in to get whatever we needed. We sat in the car with the radio on. Usual stuff was playing until This one came on. Even at that age it caught me right away, I just stopped whatever I was doing and listened. First song I can remember where I was the first time I heard it. 

22 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Under my mother's sewing machine:

And to get it out of the way... First recollection of TV.  But... It was in B&W on a 19" Admiral TV:

What else do you want to know?  First dog?

You've got to admit, you left yourself out in the open with this... men's swimming and raindrops keep falling on my head by B.J. sounds a little risque.

• Haha (+1) 1

I remember a lot of that. The only song I remember the first time and place was Bruce Springsteen, Born To Run at a buddy’s GF’s apartment while in college. That hit me immediately. 

Wait......with a friend of the same friend....Santa Claus is Comin’ To Town, again by Bruce on the way to buy a keg I n college around Christmas break. 

I remember hearing a lot of music at specific times from pre-teen years, but those are the “first time” examples. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, T&C said:

You've got to admit, you left yourself out in the open with this... men's swimming and raindrops keep falling on my head by B.J. sounds a little risque.

Yeah... But they ain't nude.  Oh... And please don't tell @Gugny.  When he gets a bee in his bonnet, we all get stung!

The sewing machine was interesting.  I'd always bump my head.  Why that song I remember playing.  Same age as in 1972... About 4 years old that summer. 

1 hour ago, T&C said:

I was 4, sitting in the front seat of a 1961 Ford Falcon with my Dad. We were at the Twin Fair kind of near the airport ... Mom went in to get whatever we needed. We sat in the car with the radio on. Usual stuff was playing until This one came on. Even at that age it caught me right away, I just stopped whatever I was doing and listened. First song I can remember where I was the first time I heard it. 

I DO remember the girl that goes along with this song, but not the first time hearing it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

We were leaving Lancaster in the car heading up Central Ave. heading to my Grandparents house in Clarence when this came on... just after the train tracks overpass by St. Joseph street. To this day I'm amazed that my parents let it play, but they did. I loved Mariska Veres less than Michelle Phillips but she was my other rock babe for a few years. 

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

I DO remember the girl that goes along with this song, but not the first time hearing it. 

Well... we're WAITING.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I remember a lot of that. The only song I remember the first time and place was Bruce Springsteen, Born To Run at a buddy’s GF’s apartment while in college. That hit me immediately. 

Wait......with a friend of the same friend....Santa Claus is Comin’ To Town, again by Bruce on the way to buy a keg I n college around Christmas break. 

I remember hearing a lot of music at specific times from pre-teen years, but those are the “first time” examples. 

College?  That's a bit old?  But then again, you were probably raised in a sod house on the prairie where tending chores came first. (I) can't find fault in that!

I am surprised you don't remember Pa Ingalls playing a weekly Saturday night lullaby on the fiddle via oil lamp after all your chores were done and prayers were said.

Probably all that hard work drowned out all the memories of music until you went off to College in Charleston with John Boy Walton... Glad to get away from that hectic life on Walton's Mountain and collect your thoughts @ University!

I suppose other Dudes like @Cripple Creektell a similar hard scrabble youthful tale.  Now... @BringBackFergy, he was raised in the lap of luxury... He probably remembers being sung to in utero this:

51b-+WjaVlL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Even if it was first published in 1990... What's 20 or so years between friends!  LMAO.

?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

So many times I couldn't mention all. I will mention one. First time I heard "Time to Pretend" by MGMT I was driving into a Stewart's shop and I waited in my car for it to finish. Then I waited through a couple more songs for the DJ to give the name and artist.

First song ???

I remember turning 4 and sitting in the kitchen at the table waiting to blow out the 4 candles on my birthday cake when my brothers, sister, and parents were singing happy Birthday to me.  

Might have been 3 blind mice in my crib but, can’t be sure. 

I have CRS. Can’t remember shi

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

College?  That's a bit old?  But then again, you were probably raised in a sod house on the prairie where tending chores came first. (I) can't find fault in that!

I remember SO MUCH of the old music, but I can’t clearly say I remember the FIRST TIME I heard it.

And don’t make fun of sod houses! They will be coming back around! 

• Haha (+1) 1