No Punt Game - Reality vs. Myth

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I wanted the suspense that someone might be stopped at some point. If I just wanted lots of scoring and lots of points I'd watch basketball. I don't. Because it sucks. 

EDIT: Again the above refers to Rams - Chiefs not the no punt game which was before my time and I have never watched. 

There can be plenty of tense moments without low scoring games... And there were big defensive plays made too... Something like 6 or 7 turnovers forced by defenses that kept putting the pressure on the other to go separate themselves. 

When offenses are that good, it's hard for anyone to stop them. The whole idea that people don't play defense in basketball is also a big myth... especially for those that think college basketball is somehow superior due to better defense than the pros. It's not like all those great defenders in college suddenly forgot how to play once they got to the NBA. However, they suddenly started playing against the best athletes in the world instead of random amateurs that have no offensive capabilities & aren't freakishly talented/athletic.

But that's not the point... Those were 2 AMAZING offenses with huge talent on both teams that provided difficulty for almost every team they faced the entire season. 

6 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

There can be plenty of tense moments without low scoring games... And there were big defensive plays made too... Something like 6 or 7 turnovers forced by defenses that kept putting the pressure on the other to go separate themselves. 

When offenses are that good, it's hard for anyone to stop them. The whole idea that people don't play defense in basketball is also a big myth... especially for those that think college basketball is somehow superior due to better defense than the pros. It's not like all those great defenders in college suddenly forgot how to play once they got to the NBA. However, they suddenly started playing against the best athletes in the world instead of random amateurs that have no offensive capabilities & aren't freakishly talented/athletic.

But that's not the point... Those were 2 AMAZING offenses with huge talent on both teams that provided difficulty for almost every team they faced the entire season. 

I just don't like "you score, we score" sports. Whatever it may be. I didn't enjoy the Eagles - Patriots Superbowl. I didn't love the Chiefs - Rams and I think basketball totally sucks. 

21 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Was it no defense or great offenses? 

It was the chicken.....

NO, WAIT! It was the egg.....

It’s just so hard to say for sure.....

On 7/7/2019 at 7:08 PM, Ronin said:

I'll tell you what was crazy, we were at the game and afterwards on the radio they were raking Young across the coals talking about how he'd never amount to anything.  We're just laughing thinking what on earth these people were watching, dude had 450 passing yards, mostly to Mike Sherrard and John Taylor, another 50 rushing, half as much as their RBs, 3 TDs.  The rest of course is history but we were literally laughing our asses off.  

I was also at the game and remember listening to the post game radio show. They all said Montana would have won that game.

On 7/7/2019 at 4:34 PM, GunnerBill said:

The no punt game was before my time but I thought Rams - Chiefs was overhyped.

Sometimes it's fun to watch a crazy game like the Rams/Chiefs. Primetime , sitting on the couch. Might as well be entertained.

17 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Sometimes it's fun to watch a crazy game like the Rams/Chiefs. Primetime , sitting on the couch. Might as well be entertained.

Oh I don't doubt it was fun. But game for the ages? Nah. Not even the best game of 2018. 

On 7/7/2019 at 6:16 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Just watched thew whole game on You Tube.  The offenses did play great but it really should be called the "Mostly no defense game with a bunch of opportunistic turnovers game".  The turnovers were really good plays by the defense even as they got shredded on most of the other plays.  Bruce had a nice forced fumble.  Odomes and Merton Hanks make nice interceptions.  Rice was injured and left game early in the first quarter. Lofton dropped a TD on a post pattern but made key plays late in the game.  Bills gave up a TD to Taylor on 3rd and 20.  Odomes recovered a fumble that probably should have been an incomplete pass.  

There were a few times the Bills may have been forced to punt that were interesting.  The first was a 3rd and 5 in second quarter.  Bills ran screen to Thomas and he made Romanowski miss at the LOS and picked up a first down.  Amazing subtle move by Thurman that kept the drive going.  Second time was very odd.  Third and 1 at mid-field.  Kenneth Davis fumbled the ball and 49ers recovered.  If he had held on to the ball he would have been stopped and Bills probably would have punted with lead at mid-field.  And on the final drive, the Bills were able to kneel down and run out the clock.  Kelly on first down burned 3 seconds before kneeling down and the 49ers wasted about 4 more seconds before calling timeout  If  for not these few seconds, they would have had to punt on 4th down with maybe 2 seconds left on the game clock.  

The plays of the game were late in the fourth quarter. Bills had 3rd and 16 after a broken play/sack.  Kelly completes crossing route to Reed for 12  (great open field tackle by Eric Davis) and left a 4th and 4.  Bills went for it and completed to Lofton.  A FG attempt down by 4 with 3:37 left to play was an option but Levy went for it.  Next play Thurman scores TD up the middle. 

On the 49ers last drive ,the defense did make a couple plays. Bruce drew a nice holding penalty after getting called for an Offside that the officials missed a subtle movement by the LT.  After Young misses an open WR on an corner route to the pylon,  Jeff Wright makes I believe his only impactful play of the day. He penetrates quickly and forces an incomplete pass by Young to force 4th down.  Kicker misses wide right.  

FYI, the officials were really quite good in this game.  Made some really nice calls on boundary and possession plays.  

As for the play by play, wow was Bob Trumpy terrible as an analyst.  Just truly awful.  Enberg was ok but made a bunch of mistakes even on the final play thinking the 49ers had another TO to use.   They didn't even make mention of no punts until 1:47 left in the game.  

Odd fact that Enberg got right.  Prior to the kneel downs it was the 3rd highest yards gained combined in NFL history.  With the kneel downs it fell back to fourth.  

Hull was mostly brilliant in this game. But Wolford was just outstanding.  Had he stayed he would be a Wall of Fame candidate.  

Wolford was.indeed outstanding. Yet when he left, he was breaking down with bad shoulder or shoulders as the Colts found out as he.missed the bulk of his first season with them. If I recall correctly he finished his career with the Steelers as a Guard. I was angry about the way he left for many years. I live now outside Louisville where he's still a celebrity of sorts. Good guy. according to my family physician, who knew him for years going back to college, and extremely smart.