No Punt Game - Reality vs. Myth

Just watched thew whole game on You Tube.  The offenses did play great but it really should be called the "Mostly no defense game with a bunch of opportunistic turnovers game".  The turnovers were really good plays by the defense even as they got shredded on most of the other plays.  Bruce had a nice forced fumble.  Odomes and Merton Hanks make nice interceptions.  Rice was injured and left game early in the first quarter. Lofton dropped a TD on a post pattern but made key plays late in the game.  Bills gave up a TD to Taylor on 3rd and 20.  Odomes recovered a fumble that probably should have been an incomplete pass.  

There were a few times the Bills may have been forced to punt that were interesting.  The first was a 3rd and 5 in second quarter.  Bills ran screen to Thomas and he made Romanowski miss at the LOS and picked up a first down.  Amazing subtle move by Thurman that kept the drive going.  Second time was very odd.  Third and 1 at mid-field.  Kenneth Davis fumbled the ball and 49ers recovered.  If he had held on to the ball he would have been stopped and Bills probably would have punted with lead at mid-field.  And on the final drive, the Bills were able to kneel down and run out the clock.  Kelly on first down burned 3 seconds before kneeling down and the 49ers wasted about 4 more seconds before calling timeout  If  for not these few seconds, they would have had to punt on 4th down with maybe 2 seconds left on the game clock.  

The plays of the game were late in the fourth quarter. Bills had 3rd and 16 after a broken play/sack.  Kelly completes crossing route to Reed for 12  (great open field tackle by Eric Davis) and left a 4th and 4.  Bills went for it and completed to Lofton.  A FG attempt down by 4 with 3:37 left to play was an option but Levy went for it.  Next play Thurman scores TD up the middle. 

On the 49ers last drive ,the defense did make a couple plays. Bruce drew a nice holding penalty after getting called for an Offside that the officials missed a subtle movement by the LT.  After Young misses an open WR on an corner route to the pylon,  Jeff Wright makes I believe his only impactful play of the day. He penetrates quickly and forces an incomplete pass by Young to force 4th down.  Kicker misses wide right.  

FYI, the officials were really quite good in this game.  Made some really nice calls on boundary and possession plays.  

As for the play by play, wow was Bob Trumpy terrible as an analyst.  Just truly awful.  Enberg was ok but made a bunch of mistakes even on the final play thinking the 49ers had another TO to use.   They didn't even make mention of no punts until 1:47 left in the game.  

Odd fact that Enberg got right.  Prior to the kneel downs it was the 3rd highest yards gained combined in NFL history.  With the kneel downs it fell back to fourth.  

Hull was mostly brilliant in this game. But Wolford was just outstanding.  Had he stayed he would be a Wall of Fame candidate.  

• Like (+1) 1

Over a 1000 yds total offense as well. A spectacle of the modern game. At the time there were 3 records broken in that game....no punts, most total yardage, and??? I can't quite remember the last one...was it no timeouts?

Great game to rewatch

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Or called the no punt game b.c there was... No punts.

And it rolls off the tongue a little easier than the "mostly no defense with a bunch of opportunistic turnovers" game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Over a 1000 yds total offense as well. A spectacle of the modern game. At the time there were 3 records broken in that game....no punts, most total yardage, and??? I can't quite remember the last one...was it no timeouts?

Great game to rewatch

There were plenty of time outs used and it wasn't the most total yardage game  - it was 4th.  Other than the no punts I don't think any other records were set.  See what I mean myth vs reality.  

10 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

A game that fans love and coaches hate.

Like the Chiefs vs Rams game this past season.

It was amazing to watch those 2 offenses duke it out, and the defenses did come through with some great turnovers too. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Like the Chiefs vs Rams game this past season.

It was amazing to watch those 2 offenses duke it out, and the defenses did come through with some great turnovers too. 

The no punt game was before my time but I thought Rams - Chiefs was overhyped.

It was the no punt game and an unbelievable time to be a Bills fan.

Playing SF really carried some extra weight in those days. Everyone anticipated a Bills-49ers Super Bowl in XXV and it didn't materialize. Beating them with a national audience two years later and showing off our unstoppable offense was hard to forget.

Two of the best offenses of the era, two of the top 15 QBs of all time at their peak, in the sunshine at Candlestick with Dick Enberg on the call ...awesome.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

To think we had no posts for over 24 hours and it was broke by asking if a game that happened with no punts is being questioned about whether there were really no punts??? Interesting 

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Just watched thew whole game on You Tube.  The offenses did play great but it really should be called the "Mostly no defense game with a bunch of opportunistic turnovers game".  The turnovers were really good plays by the defense even as they got shredded on most of the other plays.  Bruce had a nice forced fumble.  Odomes and Merton Hanks make nice interceptions.  Rice was injured and left game early in the first quarter. Lofton dropped a TD on a post pattern but made key plays late in the game.  Bills gave up a TD to Taylor on 3rd and 20.  Odomes recovered a fumble that probably should have been an incomplete pass.  

There were a few times the Bills may have been forced to punt that were interesting.  The first was a 3rd and 5 in second quarter.  Bills ran screen to Thomas and he made Romanowski miss at the LOS and picked up a first down.  Amazing subtle move by Thurman that kept the drive going.  Second time was very odd.  Third and 1 at mid-field.  Kenneth Davis fumbled the ball and 49ers recovered.  If he had held on to the ball he would have been stopped and Bills probably would have punted with lead at mid-field.  And on the final drive, the Bills were able to kneel down and run out the clock.  Kelly on first down burned 3 seconds before kneeling down and the 49ers wasted about 4 more seconds before calling timeout  If  for not these few seconds, they would have had to punt on 4th down with maybe 2 seconds left on the game clock.  

The plays of the game were late in the fourth quarter. Bills had 3rd and 16 after a broken play/sack.  Kelly completes crossing route to Reed for 12  (great open field tackle by Eric Davis) and left a 4th and 4.  Bills went for it and completed to Lofton.  A FG attempt down by 4 with 3:37 left to play was an option but Levy went for it.  Next play Thurman scores TD up the middle. 

On the 49ers last drive ,the defense did make a couple plays. Bruce drew a nice holding penalty after getting called for an Offside that the officials missed a subtle movement by the LT.  After Young misses an open WR on an corner route to the pylon,  Jeff Wright makes I believe his only impactful play of the day. He penetrates quickly and forces an incomplete pass by Young to force 4th down.  Kicker misses wide right.  

FYI, the officials were really quite good in this game.  Made some really nice calls on boundary and possession plays.  

As for the play by play, wow was Bob Trumpy terrible as an analyst.  Just truly awful.  Enberg was ok but made a bunch of mistakes even on the final play thinking the 49ers had another TO to use.   They didn't even make mention of no punts until 1:47 left in the game.  

Odd fact that Enberg got right.  Prior to the kneel downs it was the 3rd highest yards gained combined in NFL history.  With the kneel downs it fell back to fourth.  

Hull was mostly brilliant in this game. But Wolford was just outstanding.  Had he stayed he would be a Wall of Fame candidate.  

Link?

2 hours ago, vorpma said:

Awesome offense; this post is crazy!

I'll tell you what was crazy, we were at the game and afterwards on the radio they were raking Young across the coals talking about how he'd never amount to anything.  We're just laughing thinking what on earth these people were watching, dude had 450 passing yards, mostly to Mike Sherrard and John Taylor, another 50 rushing, half as much as their RBs, 3 TDs.  The rest of course is history but we were literally laughing our asses off.  

Edited by Ronin
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

A game that fans love and coaches hate.

Well OCs do not mind that much.....

I was with a group that went to Hall of Fame and they did a raffle for it, I think it was on bus.  I won a copy of the No Punt game which people kept asking to borrow but unfortunately I lost it somewhere in house. Yes I still have a working VCR to watch it if I found it.

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Super Bowls 49 and 51 should be know as " The 4th Qtr  Bone Headed Coach Play Calling Games".

See, anyone can do it. If of course it's factual.

So what are you saying?  This feat will never be duplicated and Bills will always hold the record as winning team?  Kinda like rushing for 2,000 yards in a 14 game season.  There will never be another 14 game season, so the record is safe as written in the books!

5 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Was it no defense or great offenses? 

Neither.  There were turnovers.  NOW... IF both teams had no TOs... That would be something because it would point to terrible Ds vs. awesome Os.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Anyway... Its all mental master ***** this topic...

My grandfather would say:

"If the hound didn't stop to take a ***** (dump), he would have got the fox!"

I think, I finally found a thread where that off the wall quote really applies! LMAO

Edited by ExiledInIllinois