Earthquakes.

Chef Jim

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Does a human feel 1s & 2s...???

Do animals get restless???

Unless it was very shallow and directly under their feet.  A one is like  heavy truck going by. I lived less than 2 miles from the Calavaras Fault  when I was in Cali and never felt any of the 1s or 2s on it.  Felt the two4.2s  about the same distance away on an unknown (at that time) fault in the opposite direction.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Does anyone remember the earthquake we had in WNY like in the late '80s or maybe early '90s? 

I think it ended up being like a 3.1. 

I was at home in an upstairs bedroom and it felt like a giant concrete beam got knocked over and hit the side of the house.  A very deep, sudden "boom" that shook the house and was over as quickly as it began.

People were reporting gas main explosions, fire trucks were all over looking for that sort of thing, it was kind of a big news story that day.  It was later determined to be an earthquake.

Someone must remember that!

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Does anyone remember the earthquake we had in WNY like in the late '80s or maybe early '90s? 

I think it ended up being like a 3.1. 

I was at home in an upstairs bedroom and it felt like a giant concrete beam got knocked over and hit the side of the house.  A very deep, sudden "boom" that shook the house and was over as quickly as it began.

People were reporting gas main explosions, fire trucks were all over looking for that sort of thing, it was kind of a big news story that day.  It was later determined to be an earthquake.

Someone must remember that!

Was going through some of my parents photo albums today and actually saw an article my Dad clipped and put in there, I think it was either 1984 or 1985. Not sure if that's the one you're remembering. 

55 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Was going through some of my parents photo albums today and actually saw an article my Dad clipped and put in there, I think it was either 1984 or 1985. Not sure if that's the one you're remembering. 

That seems too early to me, but maybe I am just not remembering correctly.

It's the only earthquake like that I recall occurring in WNY like that, which is why so many people mistook it for some type of "disaster".   So maybe that is the one!

On 7/6/2019 at 9:40 AM, 707BillsFan said:

Glad all is good, but please keep those down there. Last one we had nearby was the 6.0 in Napa. I was in Sacramento for the '89 quake and didn't feel a thing. Just PO'd they were delaying the World Series for a measly little earthquake. Little did I know....?

We had just moved into a new 2 story house in San Jose in ‘89. I was upstairs and man did it sway.

My dad, in Buffalo, was watching the World Series and experienced Al Michaels saying “I think we’re having an earthquake “ and the broadcast lost.  They were glad when we finally reached them.

• Like (+1) 1

We just had a really weird one roll through here about 15 minutes ago. (Top of the South Island, NZ)

It was a 5.2 and was centered about 20 miles away.

I was standing in the kitchen with my wife and dog when we all heard a deep, short rumbling sound followed by what felt like (an above-ground) shockwave pass through.  My wife was sitting down and felt a bit of shaking, but the above ground feeling was a first for me.

Has anyone else ever felt that before?

On 8/10/2019 at 7:20 AM, Helpmenow said:

New Madrid is another one near Missouri. 

this produced the largest earthquake in continental US history in 1812.  bigger than any known in California, and reportedly felt 1200 miles away in Washington DC by President Madison and first lady Dolly Madison.  it also shifted the course of the Mississippi, which resulted in gigantic geyser-like water columns.

Edited by coloradobillsfan

6 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

this produced the largest earthquake in continental US history in 1812.  bigger than any known in California, and reportedly felt 1200 miles away in Washington DC by President Madison and first lady Dolly Madison.  it also shifted the course of the Mississippi, which resulted in gigantic geyser-like water columns.

Did you get that information from Exiledinillinois?