Earthquakes.

Chef Jim

27 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I originally saw that on FB, and the person that posted it commented "Looks like she has a lot of experience getting under desks."

It's LA.  How else is she gonna get the job?  

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

It's LA.  How else is she gonna get the job?  

My bad for assuming it was a casting couch, I guess? Under a desk? OK, I can see that..... the world is full of options! 

The water in that pool is some FREAKY stuff! I’ve never experienced one, and I hope I never do! Best of luck to anyone affected! 

35 minutes ago, Augie said:

My bad for assuming it was a casting couch, I guess? Under a desk? OK, I can see that..... the world is full of options! 

It's funny I moved back to SoCal after nearly 9 years in the Bay Area.  It is so different down here.  I'd never live back in the Bay Area.  Great place to visit and all.  And I'd also never move back to LA.  Orange County is where it's at.  I just wish I could afford to retire here.  The retirement home is purchased and waiting......a few miles from the San Andreas in Palm Springs. See what I did there?  Brought it right back to the thread topic. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/6/2019 at 9:41 AM, Chef Jim said:

So as most of you have heard we’ve had a series of earthquakes here.  The first was Thursday morning.  We were at a 4th of July parade. The ground swayed and we all looked at each other and thought “earthquake??”  Within minutes the word was out where and how big.  The internet is so cool.  It was about 175 miles away but amazing how the ground swayed.  My first earthquake outdoors. A very different experience than being inside.

Fast forward to last night. I got to experience a larger/longer shaker while inside. It was crazy.  I’ve been here since 1983 and have experienced several quakes but that was one of the bigger ones I’ve felr is not the biggest.  The Northridge quake in 1994 was not as big but closer to LA so the damage was extensive. I missed that one. I was in WNY for the Bills/Raiders playoff game.  My wife called at 8:30am which was 5:30am  here. I picked up the phone and immediately asked “how big?”   They are cool once they stop but during they are scary. 

Yeah I was in OC for both of them.  Driving during the first one so I did not even know it occurred.  The second and bigger one was a trip.  I went through a 6+ when I lived in OC about 30 years ago and comparatively the 7.1 was far more remarkable.

All said, it was very fortunate that the epicenter was in a very remote area.

On 7/7/2019 at 11:55 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Think her mom's gonna find out she's using her new lipstick?  Just put the cap back on, mom won't notice! 

That is bizarrely entertaining.... :lol:

5+ is strong... And strength goes up exponentially.  Everybody knows the big ones are coming.

Here is an interesting fact:

"In the past 10 days, there have been 608 earthquakes of magnitude 3.0 or greater centered nearby.

An average of 25 earthquakes with magnitudes between 4.0 and 5.0 occur per year in California and Nevada, according to a recent three year data sample."

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

If "the big one" happens you want @mrags by your side.  He is ready for the apocalypse. 

I can't think of anything better than to be enjoying an authentic @mrags Fatty whilst (mine) riding out an earthquake.

So they didn’t predict the first occurrences and after the fact they announced more were to come, but they didn’t

where can we get gigs like this that have zero accountability?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, row_33 said:

So they didn’t predict the first occurrences and after the fact they announced more were to come, but they didn’t

Plenty more came after, actually.  My friend is home from L.A., this week.  I spoke to him last night about the earthquakes and he even felt them down there.

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C2AVNC_enUS570US570&source=hp&ei=fBgqXaX3Eoy3tAa354jgCg&q=california+earthquakes&oq=calif&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0j0i131j0l7j0i131.999.3276..7693...1.0..0.86.460.6......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i10.gi_L3rD1IZ8

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 10:07 AM, Logic said:

I live in Portland, OR. About once every 4-6 months we get an article about how we're overdue for "the big one".

The Cascadia subduction zone is the source of the worry. An 8.0 or 9.0 earthquake on the way. Apparently, the infrastructure of Portland is NOT prepared to handle it, and they predict most of the city's buildings and bridges will be destroyed. They claim the whole CITY will essentially be destroyed.

I worried about it for a week or so when I first heard, but then it dawned on me: Much of the country deals with hurricanes, tornadoes, or deadly blizzards every single year. I can't spend much time worrying about something that MIGHT happen some day.

Side note, this thread has reminded me of a great old Rodney Crowell tune (later covered by the Grateful dead after the quake of '89) called California Earthquake:

Lived in Seattle 78-81 & 86-03.  Had a few memorable shakes;  Every day, weather/visibility permitting, I would look at Mt Rainier, and wonder when it would blow?  Mt St Helens was very memorable for us.  Especially after the fact when we went down and viewed the wilderness destruction.

The Oregon coast is a little attention getting with all the Tsunami evacuation route signs.