Earthquakes.

Chef Jim

Yeah, unfortunately earthquakes are part of the experience of living in New Zealand.  I guess that's why they used to call them "The Shakey Isles"

That said... I hate them!

Fortunately, the last strong one we had was now 5-6 years ago.  I'll never forget it.  I was in my shower and the entire thing started shaking back and forth like one of those old "Swingin' Gym" rides at the Webster Firemen's Carnival!  I could barely stay on my feet.

The worst thing is that we're over-due for a major earthquake on the "Alpine Fault" which runs up the full length of the South Island.  Ugh.

On 7/6/2019 at 12:04 PM, DC Tom said:

I remember the quake we had in VA about 10 years ago.  Was at work, the desk started shaking gently.  About ten seconds later, it got more energetic and things started bouncing up and down.  

People started running to the elevator (idiots) to evacuate the building, except me and another guy who looked at each other and said "So that's an earthquake?  Let's do it again, so we can be sure."  (Because science is repeatable, and amateur scientists are idiots.)

Was also interesting because of the ten-second delay between the P- and S-waves.  Earthquakes travel pretty far in the eastern US, since it's basically a solid basaltic plate, so the time difference meant it was relatively far away, so feeling it that strongly meant it was relatively strong (for the east).  

And DC still hasn't recovered from the "disaster."  :lol:

I was in Delaware when that one happened! It felt like my desk was sliding back and forth on ice.

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

Must be tough in Chicago always driving on the LSD, as the news calls it.

LSD, Lake Shore Drive... Is not bad.  There are no trucks.  Got commercial plates or "B-Plates" on pick-up, you risk getting a ticket. UNLESS you are making a delivery, no conmercial on the LSD.

4 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Yeah, unfortunately earthquakes are part of the experience of living in New Zealand.  I guess that's why they used to call them "The Shakey Isles"

That said... I hate them!

Fortunately, the last strong one we had was now 5-6 years ago.  I'll never forget it.  I was in my shower and the entire thing started shaking back and forth like one of those old "Swingin' Gym" rides at the Webster Firemen's Carnival!  I could barely stay on my feet.

The worst thing is that we're over-due for a major earthquake on the "Alpine Fault" which runs up the full length of the South Island.  Ugh.

You probably heard that there is debate about having another continent.  Zealandia.  It's mostly under water with New Zealand being the only exposed part of continent:

8th Continent: Zealandia

18 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

LSD, Lake Shore Drive... Is not bad.  There are no trucks.  Got commercial plates or "B-Plates" on pick-up, you risk getting a ticket. UNLESS you are making a delivery, no conmercial on the LSD.

You probably heard that there is debate about having another continent.  Zealandia.  It's mostly under water with New Zealand being the only exposed part of continent:

8th Continent: Zealandia

Yeah, I saw this a couple years ago.

There's new speculation that it's not actually a landmass... it's really a UFO on the Ocean Floor!  (But this was all based on sitcom math.)

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

With the big lights overhead getting under the desk is the smart thing. 

Yep... But... They should be earthquake strapped... Or at least a little more than in non-earthquake areas.  Still smart move.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

With the big lights overhead getting under the desk is the smart thing. 

Like how they keep telling me the smart thing is to get away from the windows during a tornado warning.

But how else can I see the tornado?  

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yep... But... They should be earthquake strapped... Or at least a little more than in non-earthquake areas.  Still smart move.

Yoi have all the answers don’t you?  During a quake you don’t think how big it is you worry about how big it’s going to get and is the building going to withstand the shaking.  Strapping them does no good when the ceiling collapses 

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Yoi have all the answers don’t you?  During a quake you don’t think how big it is you worry about how big it’s going to get and is the building going to withstand the shaking.  Strapping them does no good when the ceiling collapses 

LoL... Of course.  But they are talking heads on the evening news... Who gives a *****.  They got two legs (well I hope), get the heck out of the building then.

Hate to sound callous... But Carol Burnett was right in the video I posted up thread: "The earth moved..." Big deal. Deal with it or take personal action.  Those two talking heads were probably right back at it after the break.

And yes... Securing will help.  Earthquake zones have stricter codes.  (If) the ceiling collapses and getting under a cheesy desk is like wearing a helmet on a motorcycle when you crash doing 98.   Nice, but I don't think it will help you too much when the whole friggan building goes under.

Anyway, there's really one answer... Get the heck out of the studio.  Rolling my eyes...

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

LoL... Of course.  But they are talking heads on the evening news... Who gives a *****.  They got two legs (well I hope), get the heck out of the building then.

Hate to sound callous... But Carol Burnett was right in the video I posted up thread: "The earth moved..." Big deal. Deal with it or take personal action.  Those two talking heads were probably right back at it after the break.

And yes... Securing will help.  Earthquake zones have stricter codes.  (If) the ceiling collapses and getting under a cheesy desk is like wearing a helmet on a motorcycle when you crash doing 98.   Nice, but I don't think it will help you too much when the whole friggan building goes under.

Anyway, there's really one answer... Get the heck out of the studio.  Rolling my eyes...

I take it you've never been in an earthquake. Please explain to me how they are getting out of the studio in the 15-30 second duration of your typical quake?  Get the heck out of the building........quit being an idiot.  

30 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I take it you've never been in an earthquake. Please explain to me how they are getting out of the studio in the 15-30 second duration of your typical quake?  Get the heck out of the building........quit being an idiot.  

Water he knows about, dirt not so much.

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Okay.  Then just stay there and do the news. You win.