Earthquakes.

Chef Jim

One good one in Toronto about 15 years ago, all the bookcases and shelves started rattling and it felt like a migraine onsetting without the usual aura 

Lasted more than a few seconds past the comfort zone

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I was in Thousand Oaks playing golf on Thursday, we did not feel a thing. Was with some execs from a big insurance company though, and those boys were distracted for a couple holes for sure!

Yesterday we had just finished dinner in Montecito and we were in the car and driving and felt nothing. But my son and couple other  folks were staying behind for a few minutes, and he absolutely felt it. 

I am kinda pissed I was out here , 2 quakes, and I never felt a thing!

@DC Tom, I missed the Mineral one too. Was in Jersey on business, but we actually felt it a baby bit up there. House in Richmond I guess did some shaking, as Mineral is about 20 miles from our house. 

I live about 20 miles from Mineral in Fredericksburg.  I was living in an apartment at the time and at first, I had no clue what was going on (why would I?). After a couple seconds, it hit me what it was.  Shook pretty bad in the apartment.  Sounded worse than it really was.  Went outside and everyone was outside trying to figure out what just happened.  Phones were dead too because I guess everyone started calling friends asking if they felt it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rocket94 said:

Quite a bit of the west coast is on a major fault...just a matter of time before the entire center of the earth opens up!

It’s a good time for those who like to tell us after the fact, millions of those around.

Just now, row_33 said:

It’s a good time for those who like to tell us after the fact, millions of those around.

Just like a dangerous driving section of a city that I once worked in. It took several traffic deaths for the city to finally fix it.

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

Just like a dangerous driving section of a city that I once worked in. It took several traffic deaths for the city to finally fix it.

After an earthquake all kinds tell us they knew it would happen. Sorry they weren’t able to pinpoint it to be of any use to anyone. 

I gave up driving a year ago in the city, the subway works for almost everything, after a few close calls and the death of a friend walking with the light across a street.

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I remember the quake we had in VA about 10 years ago

I remember it as well.

The Metro and VRE shutdown, stranding thousands of people.

Every single restaurant in the neighbor shutdown, except one: Chick-Fil-A.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

After an earthquake all kinds tell us they knew it would happen. Sorry they weren’t able to pinpoint it to be of any use to anyone. 

I don't blame you. The driving is nuts here too. I used to complain about the Youngman or NF Blvd. They are boy's town compared to Chicago.

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I gave up driving a year ago in the city, the subway works for almost everything, after a few close calls and the death of a friend walking with the light across a street.

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I don't blame you. The driving is nuts here too. I used to complain about the Youngman or NF Blvd. They are boy's town compared to Chicago.

Everyone in such a big hurry, can’t imagine how trying to get across 4 miles of a city of millions could take more than 9 minutes.

Edited by row_33

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Everyone in such a big hurry, can’t imagine how trying to get across 4 miles of a city of millions could take more than 9 minutes.

They are in a hurry and angry!

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

It's not that bad.  South Side tolerable.

Sign of times.  Generational.  

Should just have the horn go nonstop when you turn on the ignition 

Get the bleep out of my way, I didn’t bother giving an extra hour and 15 minutes to get across a major city!!!

I’ve been out in Cali the past couple weeks and got to experience the last couple nights of shakers.  Slightly different 4th of July experience than Vermont...

During the first one I was at my girlfriends place (a 4th floor apartment) and it didn’t freak me out too much. It was pretty obvious what was happening and  the entire building is on rollers, so you felt the sway.

During last night’s we had just sat down at a restaurant and before we even ordered we both felt it start and gave each other the oh ***** look!  What made it a little more scary was that it was clearly stronger and kept rolling.  I definitely had the thought “Wait, what if this doesn’t stop, maybe we should get up at get outta here.”  Then it stopped and I thought “Can I have a Manhattan stat!”.

Watching the news definitely feels like the start of a bad movie “The quakes were localized in the same fault and there’s a 27% chance of another 6 or greater in the next week.  But it will be fine!”  Sure, what could possibly go wrong... ?/?

Stay safe Cali folks!!

• Thank you (+1) 2

Closest one to me was when I lived on Dublin, CA. On the weekend the Space Shuttle crashed,  two 4.2 s happened about 2 hours apart  right underneath Chevron HQ property about 2 miles away.  The ground moved about 10 feet. I tell people the sensation is like when you would stand on those glider seats ( hope you know what I'm talking about).  Previously on that fault, we had a swarm of over  150  between Sunday and Thanksgiving.  Only about 5 we able to be  felt with the  largest a 3.1. Felt a 5 about 30 mules away once,  that one lasted 15 seconds.

16 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Closest one to me was when I lived on Dublin, CA. On the weekend the Space Shuttle crashed,  Two 4.2 s about 2 hours apart  right underneath Chevron HQ property about 2 miles away.  The ground moved about 10 feet. I tell people the sensation is like when you would stand on those glider seats ( hope you know what I'm talking about).  Previously on that fault, we had a warm of over  150  between Sunday and Thanksgiving.  Only about 5 we able to be =felt with the  largest a 3.1. Felt a 5 about 20 mules away,  that one lasted 15 seconds.

That is some heavy stuff! Good to see that you lived to tell!