Earthquakes.

Chef Jim

So as most of you have heard we’ve had a series of earthquakes here.  The first was Thursday morning.  We were at a 4th of July parade. The ground swayed and we all looked at each other and thought “earthquake??”  Within minutes the word was out where and how big.  The internet is so cool.  It was about 175 miles away but amazing how the ground swayed.  My first earthquake outdoors. A very different experience than being inside.

Fast forward to last night. I got to experience a larger/longer shaker while inside. It was crazy.  I’ve been here since 1983 and have experienced several quakes but that was one of the bigger ones I’ve felr is not the biggest.  The Northridge quake in 1994 was not as big but closer to LA so the damage was extensive. I missed that one. I was in WNY for the Bills/Raiders playoff game.  My wife called at 8:30am which was 5:30am  here. I picked up the phone and immediately asked “how big?”   They are cool once they stop but during they are scary. 

• Like (+1) 8

I live in Portland, OR. About once every 4-6 months we get an article about how we're overdue for "the big one".

The Cascadia subduction zone is the source of the worry. An 8.0 or 9.0 earthquake on the way. Apparently, the infrastructure of Portland is NOT prepared to handle it, and they predict most of the city's buildings and bridges will be destroyed. They claim the whole CITY will essentially be destroyed.

I worried about it for a week or so when I first heard, but then it dawned on me: Much of the country deals with hurricanes, tornadoes, or deadly blizzards every single year. I can't spend much time worrying about something that MIGHT happen some day.

Side note, this thread has reminded me of a great old Rodney Crowell tune (later covered by the Grateful dead after the quake of '89) called California Earthquake:

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

Just don’t come to New York and bring the quakes with you. ?

glad you and your wife are safe.  

Hope that was the last big aftershock. 

...think the last one here was near Plattsburgh (NE corner of NYS-5.1 magnitude)  back in April 2002......we felt a tiny bit here in Roch-Cha-Cha.......weird feeling..

...thought I read that the 2nd Cali quake has been attributed to Maxine Waters dropping her makeup bag.......will check further.......

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I live in Portland, OR. About once every 4-6 months we get an article about how we're overdue for "the big one".

The Cascadia subduction zone is the source of the worry. An 8.0 or 9.0 earthquake on the way. Apparently, the infrastructure of Portland is NOT prepared to handle it, and they predict most of the city's buildings and bridges will be destroyed. They claim the whole CITY will essentially be destroyed.

I worried about it for a week or so when I first heard, but then it dawned on me: Much of the country deals with hurricanes, tornadoes, or deadly blizzards every single year. I can't spend much time worrying about something that MIGHT happen some day.

Side note, this thread has reminded me of a great old Rodney Crowell tune (later covered by the Grateful dead after the quake of '89) called California Earthquake:

I have a similar mindset of you, in that I’ll deal with blizzards everyday rather than an earthquake, tornado or hurricane. Those things kill and destroy. A blizzard isn’t going to destroy your house and, except in extreme cases, isn’t going to kill you either.  

More on topi  , earthquakes scare the sh-poop out of me. Isn’t Californian due for something like an 8.2+ sooner rather than later?

Edited by Bills2ref
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

So as most of you have heard we’ve had a series of earthquakes here.  The first was Thursday morning.  We were at a 4th of July parade. The ground swayed and we all looked at each other and thought “earthquake??”  Within minutes the word was out where and how big.  The internet is so cool.  It was about 175 miles away but amazing how the ground swayed.  My first earthquake outdoors. A very different experience than being inside.

Fast forward to last night. I got to experience a larger/longer shaker while inside. It was crazy.  I’ve been here since 1983 and have experienced several quakes but that was one of the bigger ones I’ve felr is not the biggest.  The Northridge quake in 1994 was not as big but closer to LA so the damage was extensive. I missed that one. I was in WNY for the Bills/Raiders playoff game.  My wife called at 8:30am which was 5:30am  here. I picked up the phone and immediately asked “how big?”   They are cool once they stop but during they are scary. 

Glad you folks are safe. I think I am moving to Arizona avoid the “big one!” Lucky you, I thought we could be neighbors! 

I remember the quake we had in VA about 10 years ago.  Was at work, the desk started shaking gently.  About ten seconds later, it got more energetic and things started bouncing up and down.  

People started running to the elevator (idiots) to evacuate the building, except me and another guy who looked at each other and said "So that's an earthquake?  Let's do it again, so we can be sure."  (Because science is repeatable, and amateur scientists are idiots.)

Was also interesting because of the ten-second delay between the P- and S-waves.  Earthquakes travel pretty far in the eastern US, since it's basically a solid basaltic plate, so the time difference meant it was relatively far away, so feeling it that strongly meant it was relatively strong (for the east).  

And DC still hasn't recovered from the "disaster."  :lol:

Glad all is good, but please keep those down there. Last one we had nearby was the 6.0 in Napa. I was in Sacramento for the '89 quake and didn't feel a thing. Just PO'd they were delaying the World Series for a measly little earthquake. Little did I know....?

I was in Thousand Oaks playing golf on Thursday, we did not feel a thing. Was with some execs from a big insurance company though, and those boys were distracted for a couple holes for sure!

Yesterday we had just finished dinner in Montecito and we were in the car and driving and felt nothing. But my son and couple other  folks were staying behind for a few minutes, and he absolutely felt it. 

I am kinda pissed I was out here , 2 quakes, and I never felt a thing!

@DC Tom, I missed the Mineral one too. Was in Jersey on business, but we actually felt it a baby bit up there. House in Richmond I guess did some shaking, as Mineral is about 20 miles from our house. 

Edited by plenzmd1

29 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I was in Thousand Oaks playing golf on Thursday, we did not feel a thing. Was with some execs from a big insurance company though, and those boys were distracted for a couple holes for sure!

Yesterday we had just finished dinner in Montecito and we were in the car and driving and felt nothing. But my son and couple other  folks were staying behind for a few minutes, and he absolutely felt it. 

I am kinda pissed I was out here , 2 quakes, and I never felt a thing!

@DC Tom, I missed the Mineral one too. Was in Jersey on business, but we actually felt it a baby bit up there. House in Richmond I guess did some shaking, as Mineral is about 20 miles from our house. 

Like I said, it's a solid basalt cap out here.  Earthquake waves travel far.  The Mineral quake was felt in Canada, north of Toronto.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Q-baby! said:

Glad you folks are safe. I think I am moving to Arizona avoid the “big one!” Lucky you, I thought we could be neighbors! 

Smart move. The new Arizona coast will be some prime real estate. Get in now while the gettin' in is good. 

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Been in LA since Tuesday and we’ve had two.  Pretty trippy to experience an entire house moving.  They can’t wait for me to leave!  

Stop jumping up and down 

• Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Stop jumping up and down 

Reminds me when I was a kid and my Mom blamed an earthquake on me. 

I grew up in PA which isn't exactly known for earthquakes.  One day I'm upstairs in my room and feel the tremor.  So I go downstairs to see what's going on and my Mom thought it was me jumping up and down on my bed :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I remember the quake we had in VA about 10 years ago.  Was at work, the desk started shaking gently.  About ten seconds later, it got more energetic and things started bouncing up and down.  

People started running to the elevator (idiots) to evacuate the building, except me and another guy who looked at each other and said "So that's an earthquake?  Let's do it again, so we can be sure."  (Because science is repeatable, and amateur scientists are idiots.)

Was also interesting because of the ten-second delay between the P- and S-waves.  Earthquakes travel pretty far in the eastern US, since it's basically a solid basaltic plate, so the time difference meant it was relatively far away, so feeling it that strongly meant it was relatively strong (for the east).  

And DC still hasn't recovered from the "disaster."  :lol:

I was in Virginia Beach for that one. VERY minor in that part, but the hanging lights swayed a bit and the “rolling” feeling, almost like vertigo lasted all of 2 seconds. Weird. And cool only because nothing was damaged and of course no one there was hurt. 

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I've lived in California for over 40 years, and I have never seen anything like this before. Two enormous earthquakes in practically the same area in back-to-back days?!

That is frightening. You are also right, being outside during an earthquake is much different than being indoors.

Hope you are all safe down there.

2 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

Glad all is good, but please keep those down there. Last one we had nearby was the 6.0 in Napa. I was in Sacramento for the '89 quake and didn't feel a thing. Just PO'd they were delaying the World Series for a measly little earthquake. Little did I know....?

I was fortunate enough to be outside during the '89 earthquake. That was a moment I will never forget. Telephone poles swaying back-and-forth, car alarms going off, I saw a few cats running for safety. It was scary, but probably not as bad if I had been inside my house.

We lost power for about half a day, but that was the worst it was for us. I had no idea how severe it was until I heard the news on the radio. Some people were saying that the Bay Bridge collapsed, which at first I thought they meant the entire bridge had collapsed.

All the news coverage was focused on San Francisco, which I understand. However nobody got it worse in that earthquake than Santa Cruz did. They were decimated.

• Like (+1) 1