July Movies: Spider-Man, Lion King & Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

The Summer Season reaches the month of July and with it come some real heavy hitters. May & June had their moments, but overall it's been an up and down Summer Season. July is set to change that. Three highly anticipated movies staked their claim this month and movie studios took notice as no other movie will open nationwide against any of them. In fact, July looks to have the least amount of nationwide releases for the year. It's easy to see why. Disney continues to dominate with two of these releases striking early and in the middle of the month, while Columbia wraps it up.

Disney & Marvel move on to the next step of their Cinematic Universe, with "Spider-Man: Far From Home". Following the aftermath of "Avengers: Endgame", Spider-Man must step up to take on new threats in a world that has changed forever. Starring Tom Holland, Samuel L. Jackson, Jake Gyllenhaal, Marisa Tomei, Jon Favreau, Cobie Smulders, Zendaya, jacob Batalon, Tony Revolori, Angourie Rice & Remy Hill.

Apparently one animated movie turned live action movie this summer wasn't enough, although in this case you can take the phraee "Live-Action" with a gallon of salt water. Disney comes back again this time with, "The Lion King". After the murder of his father, a young lion prince flees his kingdom only to learn the true meaning of responsibility and bravery. Starring the voices of Donald Glover, James Earl Jones, Chiwetel Ejiofor, John Kani, Billy Eichner, Seth Rogen, Beyonce, Alfre Woodard, John Oliver, & Keegan-Michael Key.

Columbia Pictures & director Quentin Tarantino present, "Once Upon A Time...in Hollywood". A faded television actor and his stunt double strive to achieve fame and success in the film industry during the final years of Hollywood's Golden Age in 1969 Los Angeles. Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Timothy Olyphant, Dakota Fanning, Damian Lewis, Emile Hirsch, Luke Perry, Rumer Willis, Damon Herriman, Al Pacino & Kurt Russell.

Oh by the way, there are other movies this month.....

In "The Art of Self-Defense", A man is attacked at random on the street. He enlists at a local dojo, led by a charismatic and mysterious sensei, in an effort to learn how to defend himself. Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Alessandro Nivola, Imogen Poots & Steve Terada.

In "Crawl", A young woman, while attempting to save her father during a Category 5 hurricane, finds herself trapped in a flooding house and must fight for her life against alligators. Starring Kaya Scodelario, Barry Pepper, Ross Anderson & Anson Boon.

Finally, in "Stuber", A detective recruits his Uber driver into an unexpected night of adventure. Starring Dave Bautista, Kumail Nanjiani, Karen Gillan, Betty Gilpin, Steve Howey, Natalie Morales & Mira Sorvino.

Calendar with Trailers

7/2

"Spider-Man: Far From Home":     https://www.marvel.com/movies/spider-man-far-from-home

7/12

"Stuber":     https://www.foxmovies.com/movies/stuber

"Crawl":     https://tickets.crawlmovie.com/videos/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIloyK4P-e4wIVC7bICh3PEQ1LEAAYASAAEgKHgfD_BwE

"The Art of Self-Defense":     https://bleeckerstreetmedia.com/theartofselfdefense?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8sqnxoCf4wIVFKSzCh1G3AQkEAAYASAAEgKmFvD_BwE

7/19

"The Lion King":     https://movies.disney.com/the-lion-king-2019

7/26

"Once Upon A Time...in Hollywood":     https://www.onceuponatimeinhollywood.movie/

That's all for now.....Enjoy!

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I'm so used to you being late with these, I saw this and thought "Wow, it's already August?  Where'd the month go...wait a minute..."

Stop ***** with my brain, Vader.

I'm getting back on track.

So....do you want to see anything?

13 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm getting back on track.

So....do you want to see anything?

Yeah, I want to see Roland Emmerich thrown to a pack of rabid ferrets.

I'd watch that movie.

• Haha (+1) 1

Spider-Man Far From Home was a blast, loved it. Much needed after the super-serious Endgame. Best Marvel 1st end-credit ever, everyone was just screaming.

Midsommar was just the absolute slowest of slow burns. Pretty wild WTF movie, but it'd be hard to ever sit thru that again.

Just biding time until OUATIH, QT and Charlie FTW.

• Like (+1) 2

We took my 6 year old grandson to Toy Story 4 on the Fourth. It was a thoroughly enjoyable movie and he loved it.

What I did not enjoy was the other screaming kids in the theatre...

We are just spoiled by how good the grandson behaves in ALL situations.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/5/2019 at 7:17 PM, Rico said:

Spider-Man Far From Home was a blast, loved it. Much needed after the super-serious Endgame. Best Marvel 1st end-credit ever, everyone was just screaming.

Midsommar was just the absolute slowest of slow burns. Pretty wild WTF movie, but it'd be hard to ever sit thru that again.

Just biding time until OUATIH, QT and Charlie FTW.

Saw "Spider-Man: Far From Home" today. Really enjoyed it. I thought "Homecoming" was better, but this was still good.

I still do not like MJ, and I am baffled as to why Peter even likes her. I'm still holding out hope that this fake MJ is just that, a fake, and the real Mary Jane actually shows up.

That was a very good 1st end credit bumper. It'll be great to see where this leads.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is done for the year now, so we'll see what's in store in 2020.

I enjoyed Far From Home too. 

It was good to get another chance to get to know the Spiderman character better as all we've had is Home Frome Home and his bit parts in a couple of The Avengers films. 

I was thinking the same as Vader about MJ. She seems a bit of a tw@t but I did start to warm to her towards the end. 

The first end credit seemed a bit Iron Man when Stark revealed he was Iron Man in front of the press. This seemed to fit in with the narrative of Spiderman thinking he is replacing Iron Man in some way.

Why isn't Disney spreading these out a bit more?  That's three of them in a very short period of time now since they also had Dumbo a few months back.  Also, it feels a bit strange to got to "live action" versions of a musical that has nothing but animals.  Let's take an animated movie and just animate it a slightly different way.

There's one big thing that bugs me with those movies.  The wife and I saw Alladin a week or two ago and it had such an auto-tuned sound to it.  I had the same exact thought with a few others in the last two years too.  Now maybe the cartoons were like that as well, but I don't notice it since the visuals are completely fake too.  I'm not the target audience for the movies anyway, but that sound is really distracting for me.  Sure, you'll need it for certain actors, but there should be a decent number of people in these movies who can actually sing.

On 7/6/2019 at 9:26 AM, LewPort71 said:

We took my 6 year old grandson to Toy Story 4 on the Fourth. It was a thoroughly enjoyable movie and he loved it.

What I did not enjoy was the other screaming kids in the theatre...

We are just spoiled by how good the grandson behaves in ALL situations.

I took my 4 year old to see Toy Story 4.

I did really like it.  I was a little disappointed Buzz Lightyear really wasn’t Buzz...he was just a regular character.

Excited for the new Tarantino movie. Surprised Brad Pitt and Leo DiCaprio haven't worked together more over the years. And it's the first time Al Pacino has worked with Tarantino, so that'll be interesting. 

Planning to see it at the world's greatest movie theater (The Hollywood Theater in Portland) on opening night.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Why isn't Disney spreading these out a bit more?  That's three of them in a very short period of time now since they also had Dumbo a few months back.  Also, it feels a bit strange to got to "live action" versions of a musical that has nothing but animals.  Let's take an animated movie and just animate it a slightly different way.

There's one big thing that bugs me with those movies.  The wife and I saw Alladin a week or two ago and it had such an auto-tuned sound to it.  I had the same exact thought with a few others in the last two years too.  Now maybe the cartoons were like that as well, but I don't notice it since the visuals are completely fake too.  I'm not the target audience for the movies anyway, but that sound is really distracting for me.  Sure, you'll need it for certain actors, but there should be a decent number of people in these movies who can actually sing.

I agree with you. I love the Disney movies, and I do not understand why they are churning these movies out at such a rapid pace.

I missed out on "Dumbo", which I heard was alright. I have had no interest in seeing "Beauty and the Beast" or "Aladdin", and I have no intention of seeing "The Lion King". They are mostly just carbon copies of the animated movies that are almost word-for-word. Yes, there are a few minor differences and there is always a brand new song added, just so they can qualify for an Original Song nomination, but there isn't anything all that new to it.

Also, calling "The Lion King" a live-action movie is ridiculous. Just give me the animated movies instead.

Now I did see the trailer for "Mulan", and from what I saw that looks to be different. So there is hope.

36 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I agree with you. I love the Disney movies, and I do not understand why they are churning these movies out at such a rapid pace.

To boost earnings and bolster their content before their streaming service comes out? 

From what I've read about Netflix/Hulu/etc, it's hard to keep profits up with those streaming services, especially when they have to rely more and more on their own content, and Disney is initially offering super low prices.

Tarantino is my #2 favorite "modern" director behind Michael Mann.  I wish Tarantino would make his version of Heat and Mann make his version of Pulp Fiction since both do the Los Angeles canvas so well.

Looking forward to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I took my 4 year old to see Toy Story 4.

I did really like it.  I was a little disappointed Buzz Lightyear really wasn’t Buzz...he was just a regular character.

Thank you!

I didn't like how Buzz was so dim-witted. The inner voice thing was funny at first, but it was overdone and it made Buzz look foolish. He sure seemed to know what to do in "Toy Story 2" when Woody was stolen.