Does anyone here not have central AC?

16 hours ago, KD in CA said:

AC in cars was a big time luxury.  My parents cars didn’t have AC when I was a kid.  We had a ‘72 Vista Cruiser with the auto roll down back window.   That provided plenty of air while cruising on I-80 on our way to Minnesota in the summer.

In in the mid-80s, my brother an I drove his ‘78 Datsun 510 from San Antonio to SF in July.  No AC required.  We just made sure to get through Death Valley early in the morning.

As for radios, I’m sure I’m not the only one who had an FM converter in their first car.

My ex co-worker is 12 years older than me.  He said he took a trip in early 1960s from Chicago to SoCal w/his family to visit his older brother who was a Marine.  No A/C of course.  I want to say his father had a Ford Country Squire Wagon... 1960...    Driving through the desert he could see the rubber door molding melting, turning to goo.  LoL...Today, I guess they came a long way with engineering  better automobile quality materials now.

Imagine rolling through the desert in 105° heat, windows open... Molding, early automobile plastics/rubber turning to goo.  An "E-Ride" ticket thru hell on earth! LoL...

06e4677c807846c9130d2ef81f346a36.jpg

On 7/9/2019 at 4:28 PM, teef said:

i'm a couple of months shy of 42, but i'm the eye candy in the relationship.

Yep, completely irresistible indeed........

Tell me, is it the feather in your hat that turns her on, or that classy gold tooth?

image.png.7eb8b2018ee0d1007ea2f05630b9bf0e.png

2 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Yep, completely irresistible indeed........

Tell me, is it the feather in your hat that turns her on, or that classy gold tooth?

image.png.7eb8b2018ee0d1007ea2f05630b9bf0e.png

the feather get the attention, but they stay for the gold.

On 7/9/2019 at 4:22 PM, KD in CA said:

AC in cars was a big time luxury.  My parents cars didn’t have AC when I was a kid.  We had a ‘72 Vista Cruiser with the auto roll down back window.   That provided plenty of air while cruising on I-80 on our way to Minnesota in the summer.

In in the mid-80s, my brother an I drove his ‘78 Datsun 510 from San Antonio to SF in July.  No AC required.  We just made sure to get through Death Valley early in the morning.

As for radios, I’m sure I’m not the only one who had an FM converter in their first car.

I loved the look of the old Vista Cruisers...

I think as a kid we only had A/C on one or 2 vehicles. When I bought my first vehicle, a '85 s15 Jimmy it had a/c until I read ended someone and it took out the condenser and rad along with the front clip. Replaced it all but never recharged the A/C. Had Jeeps for a while and never had or used A/C with them, you just take the top off. Even recently, my last few vehicles I haven't used the A/C in them mostly cause I'm cheap and don't want to waste the gas. In my new truck ('19 F150) I bought a few weeks ago, I have been using the A/C and have been getting good mileage so I don't mind. Anytime I go somewhere with my wife she has to have the A/C on because she's worried the kids might get warm. She also lets them eat and drink in her car making it a mess because apparently they will die if they have to wait 10-20 minutes to get home and eat and drink stuff there....

• Haha (+1) 1

I spent July 6-9 in Williamsville NY. We visited Niagara Falls. The AC was on in my room the entire time. In fact, a restaurant that we went to on Main Street was so hot we had to move to a table away from the window.

Living down state, AC is an absolute must. I would be absolutely miserable without it but like I say, I would totally need it up in Buffalo as well.

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Anytime I go somewhere with my wife she has to have the A/C on because she's worried the kids might get warm. She also lets them eat and drink in her car making it a mess because apparently they will die if they have to wait 10-20 minutes to get home and eat and drink stuff there....

Funny stuff! My advice is  to let her do exactly as she pleases. If she suggests that you go to a knitting party at her mother's house on Super Bowl Sunday, go for it. With young kids, divorces cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Trust me. And while anything can still happen, at least you will have done your part to make things work for as long as possible.

Besides, she also sounds like a good mom and a nice person. :)

31 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I spent July 6-9 in Williamsville NY. We visited Niagara Falls. The AC was on in my room the entire time. In fact, a restaurant that we went to on Main Street was so hot we had to move to a table away from the window.

Living down state, AC is an absolute must. I would be absolutely miserable without it but like I say, I would totally need it up in Buffalo as well.

What place on Main St.?

13 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

No need for AC here on the top of the South.

Same latitude south as Chicago is north.  Heck, go further south is like going to Green Bay latitude.  Mix in Marine climate and it has to be mild and pleasant.  Don't get the summer heat like the middle of a continent.

Heck San Fran is 37° N.  That's North Island South Latitude. Auckland is 36° S.

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Same latitude south as Chicago is north.  Heck, go further south is like going to Green Bay latitude.  Mix in Marine climate and it has to be mild and pleasant.  Don't get the summer heat like the middle of a continent.

Heck San Fran is 37° N.  That's North Island South Latitude. Auckland is 36° S.

Yeah, our weather really can't be beat here in Nelson.

We still have 4 seasons, but the snow is only on the mountains around us and not down here along the sea.  Summer's are long and not too hot and we have the most sunshine hours in the country.  (Damn it... I should be keeping it a secret!)

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Yeah, our weather really can't be beat here in Nelson.

We still have 4 seasons, but the snow is only on the mountains around us and not down here along the sea.  Summer's are long and not too hot and we have the most sunshine hours in the country.  (Damn it... I should be keeping it a secret!)

Well... It is a huge ocean trip away.  Don't think too many will make the leap!  ?

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Funny stuff! My advice is  to let her do exactly as she pleases. If she suggests that you go to a knitting party at her mother's house on Super Bowl Sunday, go for it. With young kids, divorces cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Trust me. And while anything can still happen, at least you will have done your part to make things work for as long as possible.

Besides, she also sounds like a good mom and a nice person. :)

I didn't realize she had an account here on this board? Lol.

Yeah, Im laid back and don't care when it comes to most things so it's usually "whatever you want" which usually doesn't go over as well as it should cause she will get mad for not making a decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I didn't realize she had an account here on this board? Lol.

Yeah, Im laid back and don't care when it comes to most things so it's usually "whatever you want" which usually doesn't go over as well as it should cause she will get mad for not making a decision. 

We have been posting on this site for just so many years. We never met at RWS but I always sensed that you were a smart guy. Your post is evidence of this.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 7/5/2019 at 12:52 PM, Another Fan said:

I used to work for a heat and air conditioner contractor and he usually liked to tease me I never had central AC.  I had wall units for AC where I used to live.

Most new homes are built with central AC but I’m sure there’s some here that just have wall units or fans.  

When my wife and I bought our house we didn’t have AC. Very odd honestly. Was built in 1997 in a fairly decent neighborhood in Lancaster. Honestly, it should have had AC. It didn’t. It had baseboard boiler heat. So when we moved in, near the end of August, the rest of that summer was all we needed to convince us that we needed AC. To keep the story shorter then it needs to be, putting AC in a home with no ducts in place gets very expensive and it’s not an easy project. We’re good now. But it’s not something I’d want to do again. 

On 7/5/2019 at 2:29 PM, apuszczalowski said:

Probably because most of the houses in Toronto are older and like my house have radiators instead of forced air furnaces. I grew up not having it and then in my first house I did and found it nice. Now my current house has rads so I'm back to window units for A/C

It can also be that many who live in the City of Toronto are hipsters who don't want to ruin the environment with A/C units, or can barely afford their rent and bills as is without the increased hydro charge of A/C

More than likely 

• Like (+1) 1