Does anyone here not have central AC?

Of all the places we've lived in CA have not had air.  The couple that did we rarely use.  Right now we live about 3 miles from the ocean so it's cool.  We just bought the retirement home out in Palm Springs area so yeah we'll need it there.  

I didn't in my old house in Buffalo. It was horrible some nights for sleeping during the summer.  My son just bought a house in Buffalo that has radiator heat, so they will be looking into splits for next summer.

We do have central air. The only (very slight) negative is if we lose power and the whole house generator goes on, one of the units has to be shut off (we have one for upstairs, one for downstairs) so as not to draw too much from the generator. It is a large(r) whole house generator, but running two  air  conditioner units (and/or a hair dryer) is a bad idea. 

edited to add: at our ocean front condo in Florida we had central air. Being on the ocean may have been 10 degrees cooler than even 5 miles inland, but we still needed the air conditioning. No way were ocean breezes enough. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

Atlanta is the farthest point north I have lived since 1982. Life without AC just seems unimaginable! 

When we visit my sister in Rhode Island they always bring the window unit to our guest bedroom.  It makes us feel pampered, and I don’t need sweaty nights. 

We bought our house in Atlanta a year before moving here (with a son a senior in HS, we gave in after selling in Sarasota). My wife used it as her hotel room for a year. We literally had sofas standing on end just to pack stuff in as we downsized and figured stuff out. Anyway, the very first night we moved here for real......we find the AC has gone out and we’re having 95 degree days. We spent one night sweating to death, called Cool Ray first thing in the morning, then drove to Hilton Head for a long weekend with AC. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

We replaced the AC unit with a larger unit when we bought our house and had ducts expanded to kitchen extension but it is still too hot in summer.

Our house has a 2 story garage/office/double master bedroom addition but AC was not sufficient for summer so we have wall unit AC units for them.  Not run them very often but sometimes when I nap in afternoon I use wall unit AC for I find I will I will go to sleep faster.

We bought house on bank foreclosure and it is a very strange house.  Two additions off two different parts of house going different angles with two driveways on two different streets and two level deck going to two different doors on two different levels in two different parts of house.  Think of it as J shaped with top bar of J being two story bedroom addition and the bottom curve the kitchen.

I think sometimes I am Two Face.

Very few houses had AC in the 70s or prior, even in warm climates.  My dad and grandfather installed an attic fan in the house we grew up in.  Worked great, even in a 5 BR house.

My parents didn’t put central AC in that house till the early 90s, and that was primarily because they knew it was mandatory for eventually selling the house.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Good god you're old..........?

My first two cars not only didn't have AC, they only had AM radios.  :D

I have central air in my current home.  I put it in 16 years ago when I had the furnace replaced.  I replaced the furnace two years ago, but I use the AC infrequently (less than 2 weeks a year on average), so it probably has been used about as much as a 2-year-old unit in other parts of the country.

Our house in the mountains of  S WV had no A/C until 3 years ago.  That's when our grandson and daughter moved in with us.

We got a heat pump and it has been a blessing. The biggest savings is in the winter since the electric baseboard heaters were

replaced.  We  had an attic fan that helped cool the house in the summer.

NO A/C growing up in Lewiston either.

Baseboard heat, so no.  Never had in any of the three houses I’ve lived in, just a duplex I rented for a year.

Hate window units.  Noisy and not great coverage without fans.  Wish I had bought those wall units a few years ago, much cheaper.  Now would run me about 8 grand or more.  Not worth it.

Up until I just moved to Virgina, I lived in Puerto Rico for 8 years.  I did not have central AC there.  It was rare for buildings to have central AC due to both the old buildings and the price of electricity.  

Like anything, I got used to it.  However, fans were a must and individual AC units in bedrooms were also needed.  

The three months after the hurricane with no power were brutal.  Very hot and sweaty.

Obviously, we have AC in our house.

The trick down here is to run the AC as little as possible.

About 10 years ago, we had a handyman go through out house and attic and caulk/seal every joint, as well as adding insulation to the attic. We also added hotel-quality blackout curtains to most of the windows (in addition to the blinds that were already there).

The results have been astounding. Even in the hot summer, the electric bill rarely gets above $150.

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You keep your thermostat at 80?????

Are you trying to live like someone in Kuwait?

my apartment building is set to 80 for fall and winter and my business office tower is set to 80 all year round

the office has AC which takes out the humidity while keeping it at 80

Edited by row_33