Does anyone here not have central AC?

Nice responses, my one manager acted like it was such an abnormality I didn’t have it.  Though most of the houses served were large.  One funny story one time he went and removed the whole condenser unit for one customer that didn’t pay his bills and pissed him off 

32 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Probably because most of the houses in Toronto are older and like my house have radiators instead of forced air furnaces. I grew up not having it and then in my first house I did and found it nice. Now my current house has rads so I'm back to window units for A/C

It can also be that many who live in the City of Toronto are hipsters who don't want to ruin the environment with A/C units, or can barely afford their rent and bills as is without the increased hydro charge of A/C

Older houses

few hipsters can get a house at these prices and then pay for the AC as well

16 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Nice responses, my one manager acted like it was such an abnormality I didn’t have it.  Though most of the houses served were large.  One funny story one time he went and removed the whole condenser unit for one customer that didn’t pay his bills and pissed him off 

I would have built a cage around it.

In da hood... Gotta have that.  Even when I first moved in, the builder didn't have it installed till we moved in.

Oh... And report him to the EPA for releasing the freon.  Unless, he recovered it?

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I would have built a cage around it.

In da hood... Gotta have that.  Even when I first moved in, the builder didn't have it installed till we moved in.

Oh... And report him to the EPA for releasing the freon.  Unless, he recovered it?

I’m thinking he did but it’s question I’ll never know.  He did the midnight run if you catch my drift

we used to call it Refrigerant or R22 instead of Freon 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Another Fan said:

I’m thinking he did but it’s question I’ll never know.  He did the midnight run if you catch my drift

we used to call it Refrigerant or R22 instead of Freon 

Yeah... I just generically call it freon.  My home unit is still R-12.  Don't listen to the BS when they try and sell you a whole new unit, you can still get it reasonably.  Even compatible replacement types (my compressor is a genuine Scroll).  The units they made in past were built like tanks.  Only way I see mine going is catastrophic failure, like the side of the compressor rotting through!  LoL...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

We didn't have it when I lived in Orchard Park. My dad installed a whole-house fan on the upper floor, and we left the windows and front door open in the summer to draw fresh air in throughout the house.

Here in Cincinnati, if you don't have it, you probably won't survive long!

My last year there we rented a house in Hyde Park that not only lacked AC, but the windows were painted shut! That may have been the most miserable year of my life! 

3 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

I can not imagine Texas without AC but I see plenty of house in my town without.

In NY I have it but could do without most days.  That said, glad I have it on days like today.

Heat is one thing but the humidity is what does me in.

4 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I used to work for a heat and air conditioner contractor and he usually liked to tease me I never had central AC.  I had wall units for AC where I used to live.

Most new homes are built with central AC but I’m sure there’s some here that just have wall units or fans.  

In NH there is only about 3 weeks of AC weather. Window unit in the bedroom is all we need.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco.

Cleveland Indians games in the Mistake were shivering cold in August as well

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

There was the famous year without a summer, 1816.  Then there is the city without a summer: San Francisco and Cleveland. ?

that wind was merciless off Lake Erie, even for August day games