Does anyone here not have central AC?

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This really sounds awful.  I keep mine usually at 68-70.

i keep telling people at work that's its 80 and they don't believe me or the indoor thermometers in the office

if you take out the humidity it is very pleasant

Oh yeah. We have it. I have a wife that likes to be freezing...all...of...the ...time.   It’s a source of arguments for us. We actually have two units with two different thermostats.  One for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. I get ***** with on two different levels. 

2 minutes ago, teef said:

Oh yeah. We have it. I have a wife that likes to be freezing...all...of...the ...time.   It’s a source of arguments for us. We actually have two units with two different thermostats.  One for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. I get ***** with on two different levels. 

You know she's doing it because she wants to see your nipples.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You know she's doing it because she wants to see your nipples.

I could do that just as easily with ice cubes. The rest of my body would still be warm then. 

On 7/5/2019 at 10:51 PM, KD in CA said:

Very few houses had AC in the 70s or prior, even in warm climates.  My dad and grandfather installed an attic fan in the house we grew up in.  Worked great, even in a 5 BR house.

My parents didn’t put central AC in that house till the early 90s, and that was primarily because they knew it was mandatory for eventually selling the house.

are you my lost brother??? 

never had AC as a "kid" but my pops did have Central AC installed in the late 80's or early 90s

otherwise in the summer you had to wear this to stay cool

ulnzi6lk9xyp0ll2imdn.gif

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

i keep telling people at work that's its 80 and they don't believe me or the indoor thermometers in the office

And some people in our area (wny/Niagara region) and across the states refuse to believe B-low gets much more snowfall than Toronto does.

23 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

And some people in our area (wny/Niagara region) and across the states refuse to believe B-low gets much more snowfall than Toronto does.

it's like they built the 401 across Southern Ontario to mark the maximum snowfall belt

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

It's 83° here with 40% humidity.  I have the central air cranked to 74°

Yesterday... Had windows open.  Wife chilled the house... Only got to 68°.  House got to 81°, that's bearable... But doable.  Thought we'd make it to middle week without having to run AC.  Ooops I was wrong!

1 hour ago, teef said:

Early sign of menopause.

Best of luck to you...

25 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's 83° here with 40% humidity.  I have the central air cranked to 74°

Yesterday... Had windows open.  Wife chilled the house... Only got to 68°.  House got to 81°, that's bearable... But doable.  Thought we'd make it to middle week without having to run AC.  Ooops I was wrong!

my portable unit would have to struggle to get things down to 76 degrees on a very humid day

I'm happy

I believe there are more swampers out here than a/c, due to the dry climate

The main wall in my living room faces West - I have hit 90 degrees every month of the year due to greenhouse effect.  

Got a small window a/c unit that I affectionately call my 'cool breeze machine' because you really can't feel it unless you're right in front of it.  But as soon as the sun goes down the temp drops quickly and just a window fan is all I need to be comfortable enough to sleep.  

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

my portable unit would have to struggle to get things down to 76 degrees on a very humid day

I'm happy

My 23 year old Rheem does struggle to 74° on humid days because my windows are original and 23 years old too.

Now... Today.  My AC kicked on... And went off 40 minutes ago.  But humidty is low.  Condensay still pisses strung and A-Coil kept clean and dirt, rust free... With a good slope. I added cleanout doors to my A-Coil  @ duct.

On humid day... It woulf struggle to keep 74°... Which with +3°setpoint is 77°.  I probably should run 75°/78°(+3° setpoint on humid days).

Just my windows... BUT now, I prefer the AC to run more constant and longer.  It's fan/compressor startup that is the energy draw.  Running longer is better for the fan/capacitor combo.... Then all that modern high-efficiency BS on/off/on/off crap.  That's what arcs the contactor and causes pre-mature wear!

On 7/6/2019 at 4:35 AM, SoTier said:

My first two cars not only didn't have AC, they only had AM radios.  :D

AC in cars was a big time luxury.  My parents cars didn’t have AC when I was a kid.  We had a ‘72 Vista Cruiser with the auto roll down back window.   That provided plenty of air while cruising on I-80 on our way to Minnesota in the summer.

In in the mid-80s, my brother an I drove his ‘78 Datsun 510 from San Antonio to SF in July.  No AC required.  We just made sure to get through Death Valley early in the morning.

As for radios, I’m sure I’m not the only one who had an FM converter in their first car.

• Like (+1) 1