Does anyone here not have central AC?

I used to work for a heat and air conditioner contractor and he usually liked to tease me I never had central AC.  I had wall units for AC where I used to live.

Most new homes are built with central AC but I’m sure there’s some here that just have wall units or fans.  

12 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I used to work for a heat and air conditioner contractor and he usually liked to tease me I never had central AC.  I had wall units for AC where I used to live.

Most new homes are built with central AC but I’m sure there’s some here that just have wall units or fans.  

I don't have it.  i have plenty of trees so the house seldom gets oppressively hot.

We didn't have it when I lived in Orchard Park. My dad installed a whole-house fan on the upper floor, and we left the windows and front door open in the summer to draw fresh air in throughout the house.

Here in Cincinnati, if you don't have it, you probably won't survive long!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Never had it in Buffalo, but that's a long time ago, N VA needed it, Chicago,similar to Buffalo but I was older, and it was my place so,  needed it, Houston, couldn't live without it., Seattle was a no.

I can not imagine Texas without AC but I see plenty of house in my town without.

In NY I have it but could do without most days.  That said, glad I have it on days like today.

10 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

That would suck

seriously there are only at most 10 total days in a typical Toronto summer of severe heat problems.

it's hot today but i was fine in a suit on the subway going into work

12 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

If there is, I'd venture to guess it's the same person that knows someone with no friends. 

some Dads wouldn't admit they are too warm just a few breaths shy of heat stroke

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

some Dads wouldn't admit they are too warm just a few breaths shy of heat stroke

I didn't have central AC in my first place as a single guy or our first house as a married man. Thankfully the house was so small a few window units and a floor unit kept it cooler than the house I'm in now that has central AC.

I was dumb this year and waited to flip my central air on for the first time the other day when it was damn near 90. 

Well, of course the outdoor compressor unit wouldn’t kick on. 

I had issues with it last year, it would work intermittently. I put in a new circuit breaker and it solved the problem. So I wasn’t too worried about it working this year. 

Thankfully i I was able to get it working. I took the panel cover off the outdoor unit, checked the capacitor etc and everything looked ok. So I took out the shop vac and cleaned it out (there was a bit of dead vine in there) and it kicked on. Phew! lol

My house that bought roughly two years ago has it yet the apartment I was in before didn't have it and it was horribly bad in Buffalo summers with the heat/humidity. I tried fans and window AC units but central air beats them all.

Edited by The Jokeman

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Most coworkers of means in Toronto do not have it in their houses

Probably because most of the houses in Toronto are older and like my house have radiators instead of forced air furnaces. I grew up not having it and then in my first house I did and found it nice. Now my current house has rads so I'm back to window units for A/C

It can also be that many who live in the City of Toronto are hipsters who don't want to ruin the environment with A/C units, or can barely afford their rent and bills as is without the increased hydro charge of A/C