NFL.com ranks Top 25 QB's of All Time: Jim Kelly #21

On 7/9/2019 at 12:39 PM, dave mcbride said:

The thing about Kelly is that he had a couple of pretty spectacular seasons in the USFL. The USFL wasn't the NFL, obviously, but it had a ton of talent. Over the course of two seasons, he passed for 9,842 yards, 83 TDs, 45 INTs, and a 98.0 rating. I doubt he would have put up those numbers in the NFL, but in terms of physical talent, those were a couple of his peak seasons, and he probably would have been at least pretty good. In his final playoff game in that league, the Gamblers lost 22-20 to the Birmingham Stallions, which featured none other than Joe Cribbs, who ran for 1,467 yards that season (and 70 yards on 16 carries in the playoff game). 

Those games were fun.    Somewhere I have the coaches film of the game SI called "the greatest game nobody ever saw" between JK's Gamblers and Steve Young's LA Express at the Coliseum.  Great, crystal clear footage.   That's the only video of that game because it wasn't broadcast   That stuff that Halcyon Days recorded for the USFL was so crisp.......that's why they are still able to sell it for stock football footage today.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve had this argument with a buddy down here that’s a diehard Steelers fan. 3 years ago he would argue that Brees didn’t belong in the top 10. We would go at. He’s changed his tune recently and has him in that top grouping. As weird as it sounds, I think Brees is crazy underrated. If he gets another ring that will really put him in elite company. 

He’s also done it with lesser weapons. Guys like Lance Moore, Kenny Stills, even Colston were not great players. Peyton has Harrison, Clark, Wayne, Gonzalez, Stokley, Demaryius, Sanders, Edge, Addis, etc... I think that Thomas is the 1st WR that ever went to the Pro Bowl with Brees (obviously Graham did). He’s just a surgeon. 

This is a big year for Brees' vis-a-vis his legacy as a top-five QB. That team is LOADED right now, and they should have a very good shot at getting home field advantage for the playoffs. 

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No doubt Brees should be one of the top tier.   His numbers and durability speak for themselves.   But Brees couldn't get past the Rams at home so there is no way he beats the Patriots in that SB, IMO.   They were very fortunate to get past the Eagles at home even.   Lotta' hype over one bad call on a bad pass decision that any good DB should take to the house for a game sealing pick 6 for the Rams.   That probably should have been the ultimate Brees choke highlight......like when Manning threw the pick 6 at the end of the Colts/Saints SB.    But instead NRC took him off the hook and put the onus on the officiating.   The Saints played well below expectation in the playoffs.........I'd say choked even........so it's a massive stretch of hindsight to think they would have somehow woken up and played their best against Belichick.    The SB sucked but the two teams that were playing the best made it. 

I guess we disagree there. If the flag is thrown the Saints run it out and kick a chip shot to win. The Super Bowl was 1,000% McVay and Goff being overwhelmed and out schemed. In fact, I think that they admitted as much. There is ZERO chance that the Saints wouldn’t have gotten their points. The Patriots were PRAYING for the Rams to get there because that was their chance. Payton and Brees are in the class with BB & TB in terms of genius. McVay & Goff weren’t ready for that. I firmly believe that the Saints would have won the Super Bowl if that flag was thrown. (With that being said it would have been OBNOXIOUS around here if it happened so I’m glad it didn’t). 

22 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

This is a big year for Brees' vis-a-vis his legacy as a top-five QB. That team is LOADED right now, and they should have a very good shot at getting home field advantage for the playoffs. 

Yeah, they will be good again. Believe it or not Brees’ playoff numbers are actually better than his regular season numbers. He really is a historically great QB. If he gets a 2nd ring you’ll have a really hard time convincing me that Peyton was better (and I love Peyton). Brees will have as many rings, all of the records and have done it with lesser talent around him (although great offensive coaching). 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess we disagree there. If the flag is thrown the Saints run it out and kick a chip shot to win. The Super Bowl was 1,000% McVay and Goff being overwhelmed and out schemed. In fact, I think that they admitted as much. There is ZERO chance that the Saints wouldn’t have gotten their points. The Patriots were PRAYING for the Rams to get there because that was their chance. Payton and Brees are in the class with BB & TB in terms of genius. McVay & Goff weren’t ready for that. I firmly believe that the Saints would have won the Super Bowl if that flag was thrown. (With that being said it would have been OBNOXIOUS around here if it happened so I’m glad it didn’t). 

Yeah, they will be good again. Believe it or not Brees’ playoff numbers are actually better than his regular season numbers. He really is a historically great QB. If he gets a 2nd ring you’ll have a really hard time convincing me that Peyton was better (and I love Peyton). Brees will have as many rings, all of the records and have done it with lesser talent around him (although great offensive coaching). 

Couldn't disagree more with the bolded.   Brady and Brees on par I can see.   But Payton is just clever.........he is far from a football genius like BB.   He does some REALLY DUMB things that we can only dream that BB would do.  There are obvious choices like some horrendous coaching hires.  For Bills fans perspective let me put it this way.........Payton somehow watched CJ Spiller and thought he was going to be really good in that offense.   God bless CJ Spiller but he wasn't even able to handle the mental responsibilities in the Marrone/Hackett offense and all they asked him to do was dive up the middle.

We will have to disagree on their SB prospects.   I think Belichick would have had his way with Payton.   They were no better than the 3rd best NFC team in the playoffs.   Their drop-off in play from the regular season was precipitous.   I think fans want to project their regular season on what they would have been in the SB but they weren't playing good football and should have lost to Philly in the divisional round.     Peaked too soon or choked but they weren't impressive.    The Pats on the other hand..........they were peaking.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 12:31 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Couldn't disagree more with the bolded.   Brady and Brees on par I can see.   But Payton is just clever.........he is far from a football genius like BB.   He does some REALLY DUMB things that we can only dream that BB would do.  There are obvious choices like some horrendous coaching hires.  For Bills fans perspective let me put it this way.........Payton somehow watched CJ Spiller and thought he was going to be really good in that offense.   God bless CJ Spiller but he wasn't even able to handle the mental responsibilities in the Marrone/Hackett offense and all they asked him to do was dive up the middle.

We will have to disagree on their SB prospects.   I think Belichick would have had his way with Payton.   They were no better than the 3rd best NFC team in the playoffs.   Their drop-off in play from the regular season was precipitous.   I think fans want to project their regular season on what they would have been in the SB but they weren't playing good football and should have lost to Philly in the divisional round.     Peaked too soon or choked but they weren't impressive.    The Pats on the other hand..........they were peaking.

Thought this was an interesting follow-up to our conversation:

https://sports.yahoo.com/sean-mc-vay-knows-he-screwed-up-the-super-bowl-and-his-rams-are-stronger-for-it-162141725.html

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

McVay screwed up the playoffs the year before as well...............he took what the defense gave him all season.......didn't bother to get Watkins the ball......and then in the playoffs the Falcons squatted on Woods and Kupp's specialty routes and Goff and Watkins looked like they hadn't played together before.    Watkins ran routes that game I hadn't seen him run all season.   McVay got picked off like a greenhorn.     McVay is a young guy with a lot of innovative ideas but he is so devoid of experience that he sometimes can't anticipate what would be obvious to a seasoned veteran coach.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/5/2019 at 9:04 AM, StHustle said:

So what do you all think? Should guys like Kurt Warner be ranked higher cause they won one?

Aside from winning a Super Bowl, Kurt Warner retired with the highest QB rating ever.  He was also the QB of one of the greatest offenses in league history, took 2 different franchises to the show and is a 2-time league MVP.

He's was a better QB than Jim.

• Like (+1) 1

There is a very good argument to make that I subscribe to that Steve Young is top five and just as good if not better than Montana. He could do everything Joe could and more. He had no real weaknesses. And could scramble/run better than anyone on that list. 

Kelly is about 15 for me. Although he is every bit the player Marino was. Marino was clearly the better pure passer. But Jimbo was as good or better in several other categories. I think they were equal.