NFL.com ranks Top 25 QB's of All Time: Jim Kelly #21

42 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Sam Wyche started the no-huddle.

Marv cried to the Commish to ban it before the AFC CG where Ickey ran wild.

Then implemented it the next year

I did not know all of that...but that is hilarious.  Glad Marv implemented it but kinda funny he wanted it out and then realized, oh we can do it too!

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I can never understand the Aikman arguments. I think he borderline doesn't belong in the HoF. Put him up against his contemporaries at the time and it's not even close. That Dallas team was loaded with talent and he rode the wave, much like Bradshaw. And the argument that his teams were winning so they ran more, is ridiculous.

When I watched Aikman during the regular season, I felt like I was watching a good-not-great QB.

But in the playoffs, I was always really impressed with his poise and accuracy.  He did play like a HOFer in the playoffs and I think that matters.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

When I watched Aikman during the regular season, I felt like I was watching a good-not-great QB.

But in the playoffs, I was always really impressed with his poise and accuracy.  He did play like a HOFer in the playoffs and I think that matters.  

Flacco/Eli M. just cut and pasted your post in their notes to the "Hall" committee. :D

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Looking really brings into focus how special Kelly vs Marino was. Can anyone name a recent QB rivalry within the same division that can compare? The only one at the moments that springs to mind is Rivers/Mahomes, but that doesn't exactly fit the bill as they came into the league 13 years apart.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I think that's a bit low for Kelly.  I've become accustomed to calling him a top-15 QB.

But so much of it is subjective.

I think there's an unquestioned top 4 of (in no particular order) Unitas, Montana, Brady, Manning.  After that there's a HUGE chasm before you get to the next tier of 10-12 that includes, IMO: Elway, Marino, Kelly, Aikman, Favre, Brees, and Graham.  I can see an argument for Bradshaw based upon Super Bowl wins, so throw him in there as well.  Same goes for Big Ben.  I think recency-bias is weighing too much when I see names like Rodgers, Wilson, and Warner in there, but if you add those dudes in there, then there's your group of 12.

So I suppose I'd say there's a top-4, a top-16, and after that it's highly debatable.

I think Steve Young is a solid Top 10 QB.  I put Kelly after him, but definitely in the Top 15, like you.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Not a big Steve Young fan?

We all hate Brady and as much as I hate admitting this, it has become easier now that I know his retirement or sharp decline is imminent. But......Brady is the GOAT. Not only the greatest QB of all time but would have to be mentioned with the top overall players of all time. And that couple be considered for sports PERIOD. Not just the NFL.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think Steve Young is a solid Top 10 QB.  I put Kelly after him, but definitely in the Top 15, like you.

I like Steve Young, but on a per-game basis Jim was the superior QB.

http://pfref.com/tiny/02C2S

I think young is in the next tier.

53 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the Bills lost a few key games they had no business losing and never won a game they shouldn't have won those years

Nice take 33. I never thought of it in that context.

Sorry, but I was never a huge fan of Levy. He was great at soothing egos and that was important, but I think he left a lot to be desired as a football strategist and I am being kind.

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Nice take 33. I never thought of it in that context.

Sorry, but I was never a huge fan of Levy. He was great at soothing egos and that was important, but I think he left a lot to be desired as a football strategist and I am being kind.

I think the best part about Levy is that he got out of the way and let Kelly QB. 

The worst thing about Levy is that he got out of the way and let Kelly become unfocused when it came to the BIG GAME.

IMO

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

JK was as good a passer as any of them and a better leader than all of them.  Where he fell short was game management- he was just a little stubborn and would try to force things by sheer will power when he should not have against the better defenses.  No better example than Super Bowl  XXV.  

As far as ranking in the list - definitely top 10.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Stupid list Aikman doesn't belong in the top 25 for sure. I would take Jim Kelly over Ben Roethlisberger any day of the week John Elway no way he's that high. Brady is a douchebag would not be on my top 25 list. Cool Joe Montana will always be greatest of all-time in my book

You're entire post gets negated by this statement. Look, I hate Brady as much as the next Bills fan, but you have to recognize his talents. He truly is one of the best to play the game.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Kelly should be in the 15-20 range I think. These things always come down to opinion and the particular bias of whoever makes the list, though.

This is where I land also.  So a bit low but close enough to argue at 21.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

So you believe that Aaron Rodgers is clearly better than 2 of Unitas/Montana/Brady/Manning?

I think that's pushing it.

Yes, clearly. He's first in ANY/A (the purest QB metric IMO), first in passer rating, first (this era) in TD%, first in INT%. You can easily argue he's the best QB of all time.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes, clearly. He's first in ANY/A (the purest QB metric IMO), first in passer rating, first (this era) in TD%, first in INT%. You can easily argue he's the best QB of all time.

Except in the most important thing, which is winning. If you don't have the rings, you won't get as highly rated.

I don't think Rodgers deserves top 5. Might not even deserve top 10 in my book.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Except in the most important thing, which is winning. If you don't have the rings, you won't get as highly rated.

I don't think Rodgers deserves top 5. Might not even deserve top 10 in my book.

Wins are a team statistic.

• Like (+1) 1