Death of the Hefty Lefty

15 minutes ago, cfi said:

Not all vegetarians eat healthy food. But when you do eat healthy vegetarian foods you do not shrivel up. I have been a vegetarian for 40 years. I am 64 . I play tennis three or four times a week. I have not lost any muscle mass. I have no health issues. I take no pills.  Be careful about the propaganda by  the big animal products industries.

As with anything, moderation is key. You don't have to live a vegetarian lifestyle to be in your 60's and be active. My dad is 2 years from 70 years old, six pack and all, and a recently retired cardiologist who eats meat daily, but never in my life have I seen him touch anything fried or just generally unhealthy (like pizza). A healthy mix of lean meats and fruits and veggies is ideal.

Edited by Bferra13

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...no mention in this statement.....baseless assumption perhaps.......

.."Former NFL quarterback Jared Lorenzen died Wednesday at the age of 38 after battling kidney and heart issues as well as an infection, his family announced."

..how about we remember the lad for some GOOD he tried to do for himself and OTHERS..............

By Jared Schwartz-NY POST   JULY 3, 2019

In 2017, then weighing more than 500 pounds, the former Kentucky star launched the “Jared Lorenzen Project” to document his weight loss journey and support others battling with obesity. In a little less than a year, he had lost more than 100 pounds, and his story was documented by ESPN.

For what it's worth, drug and alcohol use have been known to cause kidney and heart issues.

51 minutes ago, cfi said:

Not all vegetarians eat healthy food. But when you do eat healthy vegetarian foods you do not shrivel up. I have been a vegetarian for 40 years. I am 64 . I play tennis three or four times a week. I have not lost any muscle mass. I have no health issues. I take no pills.  Be careful about the propaganda by  the big animal products industries.

I will be careful as it as I am with vegan propaganda.

7 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

For what it's worth, drug and alcohol use have been known to cause kidney and heart issues.

...yes but speculative in his passing...MORE important fact is he is gone at 38 years YOUNG.............why taint it?............

44 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

And next week there will be a study and book debunking this as false and saying the opposite. Just like all the diet fads that come and go. There's a diet right now that says it's healthy and safe to eat Bacon, Steak, butter, coconut oil, and heavy cream as long as you don't eat any carbs or sugar!

The problem today is that there are so many "experts" out there on the internet to tell you a certain way is fine because they are a "doctor".

Excercise (being active) and food moderation are the key cutting out alot of the junk and processed stuff. Problem is this requires will power and effort and isn't as easy as just saying don't eat 'x' or 'y' and the pounds will just fall off.

People will always try and tell you their way is the best and works, and they are healthy even if they really aren't. Skinny doesn't equal healthy, just like fat doesn't always mean unhealthy.

In this case, he was always big in his playing days then ballooned really big to almost 500lbs they said after his career was done. The very large fluctuations in weight gain and loss may have also taken a toll on him.

This x10000000000

I eat low carb high fat, generally lots of meat, fish, eggs, and dairy with fresh fruits and vegetables as small sides.  I'm in good shape and test at the top of my job's physical fitness evals every year.

I have a friend that's vegetarian and eats eggs and cheese (no fish).  He's an ironman.  Very low body fat %.

I have another friend that eats your standard chicken/white rice/broccoli basically every day.  Gym guy, good muscle mass and cuts down impressively in the summer.

Three very different diets but we're all in good shape.  That's because the human body has adapted to tolerate and excel with multiple kinds of diets. What we have in common is we don't eat ultra-processed garbage that causes us to be hungry again two hours later, so we don't rack up huge calorie counts by grazing six meals worth of energy every day.

Oh, and we aren't vegan.  Because that's a diet that humans can't flourish in.

• Like (+1) 2

Short term many types of diets will do well.  Long-term is the key.  Heart, kidneys and bones seem to be problems  for non-plant-based diets (even healthier ones). 

Again, check out some of the 4,000 reviewers  who comment on the China Study book  (you don't even have to read the book).  That is not a matter of a few anecdotes.

https://www.amazon.com/China-Study-Comprehensive-Nutrition-Implications/dp/1932100660

5 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

And next week there will be a study and book debunking this as false and saying the opposite. Just like all the diet fads that come and go. There's a diet right now that says it's healthy and safe to eat Bacon, Steak, butter, coconut oil, and heavy cream as long as you don't eat any carbs or sugar!

That's not really new. It's the Atkins diet, which has been around for decades. You actually will lose weight eating precisely those foods, but it's not healthy. If you practice this diet, you have to use some common sense.

The sad thing with weight is that often times, people die when they decide to drop the pounds. Your body was carrying that weight for a long time so it already took a toll. My brother is/was extremely overweight, but he's in the process of losing it. Never drank much, NEVER smoked cigarettes or did illicit drugs, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Sad for his family, but not for him. He doesn't care that he's dead. When I truly embraced this fact, it changed my whole perspective on life and death; I now fear death only because I don't want my daughter to lose her daddy. I don't care how I die though, because when it's over it'll be over and I won't be reflecting on it or struggling with PTSD...

17 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

Oh, and we aren't vegan.  Because that's a diet that humans can't flourish in.

100% false.

But moderation is really the key.  There are no real shortcuts.  Just: eat less.  That’s it.  Eat less.  Eat less.  Eat.  Less.

Back to Lorenzen - he was part of some incredible games at UK.  Wasn’t he in that insane thriller that ended on a Hail Mary?  Sad to see him die so young, whatever the reason.

17 hours ago, cfi said:

Short term many types of diets will do well.  Long-term is the key.  Heart, kidneys and bones seem to be problems  for non-plant-based diets (even healthier ones). 

Again, check out some of the 4,000 reviewers  who comment on the China Study book  (you don't even have to read the book).  That is not a matter of a few anecdotes.

https://www.amazon.com/China-Study-Comprehensive-Nutrition-Implications/dp/1932100660

You do not appear to be here to discuss football but to push a book.

On 7/5/2019 at 6:38 AM, cfi said:

Please everybody, eat more responsibly!!  

The research done by thisCornell scientist is pretty impressive in favor of a long-term plant-based diet:

Check out the 4,000 plus reviews by readers.  This  book could really change the lives of people battling heart problems, diabetes, and weight issues.

cf

As you can see you are just repeating same thing.

On 7/5/2019 at 11:14 AM, Limeaid said:

If choice between enjoying eating and dying younger or becoming a vegetarian I will choose the former.  I like plenty of vegetarian dishes but I know plenty of vegetarians who when they get older just shrivel up because they refuse to eat any animal products.  Part of my family in Hong Kong are vegetarians and you can see the difference with same genetics.  

Like John Pinette says, "salad is ok and all but it is just a sign that the real food is comming soon"

Edit:said, he died of a heart attack from obesity. 

Edited by fansince88
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, fansince88 said:

Like John Pinette says, "salad is ok and all but it is just a sign that the real food is comming soon"

Said.  Gone too soon.  Cue some more arguing over whether his overweight when younger was a contributing factor.

10 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Sad for his family, but not for him. He doesn't care that he's dead. When I truly embraced this fact, it changed my whole perspective on life and death; I now fear death only because I don't want my daughter to lose her daddy. I don't care how I die though, because when it's over it'll be over and I won't be reflecting on it or struggling with PTSD...

...quite a quantum and insinuating leap and you know this how?..............and he deserves your pure speculation about life?.....wow...........

17 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Said.  Gone too soon.  Cue some more arguing over whether his overweight when younger was a contributing factor.

Look back at my edit. Im thinking I did it as you were typing. Also, probably didnt help. BTW, he was halarious 

28 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Look back at my edit. Im thinking I did it as you were typing. Also, probably didnt help. BTW, he was halarious 

His stand up routines regarding food and weight issues were very good.  The poor s.o.b. who was ‘weight shamed’ in the ‘Seinfeld’ finale, leading to the trial.

43 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...quite a quantum and insinuating leap and you know this how?..............and he deserves your pure speculation about life?.....wow...........

Fair enough. I guess it's true that there are some belief systems which, if true, would mean Lorenzon is still conscious of his human life and can reflect on it with feelings of sadness and regret. No disrespect intended toward anyone who holds such views. My comment was made from the commonly held belief that once one is dead, one is dead and is not capable of regretting that fact.

2 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Fair enough. I guess it's true that there are some belief systems which, if true, would mean Lorenzon is still conscious of his human life and can reflect on it with feelings of sadness and regret. No disrespect intended toward anyone who holds such views. My comment was made from the commonly held belief that once one is dead, one is dead and is not capable of regretting that fact.

...I understand.....other than what we perceive to be his weight issues and whatever else spawned health wise to add to his woes, doubt he imagined it would be over at 38 years YOUNG...just sayin'...........

On 7/5/2019 at 11:05 AM, apuszczalowski said:

The problem today is that there are so many "experts" out there on the internet to tell you a certain way is fine because they are a "doctor".

Excercise (being active) and food moderation are the key cutting out alot of the junk and processed stuff. Problem is this requires will power and effort and isn't as easy as just saying don't eat 'x' or 'y' and the pounds will just fall off.

People will always try and tell you their way is the best and works, and they are healthy even if they really aren't. Skinny doesn't equal healthy, just like fat doesn't always mean unhealthy.

In this case, he was always big in his playing days then ballooned really big to almost 500lbs they said after his career was done. The very large fluctuations in weight gain and loss may have also taken a toll on him.

There has not been a study that debunked the China Study, in fact the book sites several others that back it up.  Another book called 'Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease' by Caldwell Essylstyn explains it even easier.   http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/  He was a surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic who after many years, put his his patients on a plant based diet and not only did their cholesterol go down, none needed surgery. I followed it for the last year; no meat, dairy, poultry fish, oil or fats.  I have a family history of high cholesterol and mine went from over 330 to less than 180 (The goal is less than 150).  He correctly notes that your level can be at 170 or 180 and still have a heart attack.  The goal is to get it down to 150 or less and your LDL below 80. No recorded heart attacks at those levels.  Both books say the same thing, our western diet is the greatest cause of heart disease, cancer and diabetes.  What the China Study showed is that people who ate plant based, non-processed diets have much lower rates of those diseases and those that moved to the US experienced those diseases at the same rates that American do. It truly is what we eat.

Edited by gobillsatthebeach
  • Like (+1) 1