Death of the Hefty Lefty

Reading this story brough me up short: https://deadspin.com/former-giants-quarterback-jared-lorenzen-dead-at-38-1836095667

Maybe because I'm also an overweight lefty (though older and lighter than Lorenzen), I followed his career with some interest. Now he's dead at 38, his body betraying him at the end. I know he's not a Bill, but there's something poignant in the death of any athlete at a relatively young age. Between this and the story of the Miami player who lost his arm, there's plenty to reflect upon. Life is short. Take care of yourselves, my Bills brethren.

• Like (+1) 6

I was really sad to hear this. Years I go I saw some clips of him playing and I actually had never seen a QB of that size play professionally before and he was actually pretty productive so I remembered Googling him and found he also was a really wonderful person off the field as well. Thoughts are with him and and his family. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Reading this story brough me up short: https://deadspin.com/former-giants-quarterback-jared-lorenzen-dead-at-38-1836095667

Maybe because I'm also an overweight lefty (though older and lighter than Lorenzen), I followed his career with some interest. Now he's dead at 38, his body betraying him at the end. I know he's not a Bill, but there's something poignant in the death of any athlete at a relatively young age. Between this and the story of the Miami player who lost his arm, there's plenty to reflect upon. Life is short. Take care of yourselves, my Bills brethren.

Damn thats young, sad 

Please everybody, eat more responsibly!!  

The research done by thisCornell scientist is pretty impressive in favor of a long-term plant-based diet:

https://www.amazon.com/China-Study-Comprehensive-Nutrition-Implications/dp/1932100660

Check out the 4,000 plus reviews by readers.  This  book could really change the lives of people battling heart problems, diabetes, and weight issues.

cf

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, cfi said:

The research done by thisCornell scientist is pretty impressive in favor of a long-term plant-based diet:

https://www.amazon.com/China-Study-Comprehensive-Nutrition-Implications/dp/1932100660

Check out the 4,000 plus reviews by readers.  This  book could really change the lives of people battling heart problems, diabetes, and weight issues.

cf

Ahhh yes, the old china study.  Here is a recent article that you probably won't read: https://chriskresser.com/rest-in-peace-china-study/

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Way too young to pass.  I only hope he’s at peace.

....sure his size has been an ongoing health issue, but for things to have taken a turn for the worse in one short week is tragic......only 38 years young and now gone...RIP young man........

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cfi said:

cf

I don’t think he needed a plant based diet as much as he needed to not be operating at 350+ lbs.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Anything to back that up?

...no mention in this statement.....baseless assumption perhaps.......

.."Former NFL quarterback Jared Lorenzen died Wednesday at the age of 38 after battling kidney and heart issues as well as an infection, his family announced."

..how about we remember the lad for some GOOD he tried to do for himself and OTHERS..............

By Jared Schwartz-NY POST   JULY 3, 2019

In 2017, then weighing more than 500 pounds, the former Kentucky star launched the “Jared Lorenzen Project” to document his weight loss journey and support others battling with obesity. In a little less than a year, he had lost more than 100 pounds, and his story was documented by ESPN.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

...pretty cool Jared story...............

How Jared Lorenzen inspired so many, including me

Tommy Tomlinson | Special to ESPN  July 4, 2019

We never got to be friends, exactly. We were more like soldiers who had fought in the same war. We talked in shorthand. I didn't have to explain eating a box of Girl Scout cookies in one sitting. He didn't have to explain trying to find a pair of pants that fit his waist and his thighs at the same time.

In a lot of the important ways, we had lived each other's lives.

In other ways, we hadn't. Jared Lorenzen had been a star quarterback at Kentucky and won a Super Bowl ring with the New York Giants. I'd had desk jobs my whole life, stringing together words for a living. That's why I was writing about him, instead of the other way around. But when we talked -- and we talked a lot, that spring and summer of 2014 -- I felt like I was talking to a mirror.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27121708/tommy-tomlinson-how-jared-lorenzen-inspired-many-including-me

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, cfi said:

If choice between enjoying eating and dying younger or becoming a vegetarian I will choose the former.  I like plenty of vegetarian dishes but I know plenty of vegetarians who when they get older just shrivel up because they refuse to eat any animal products.  Part of my family in Hong Kong are vegetarians and you can see the difference with same genetics.  

Not all vegetarians eat healthy food. But when you do eat healthy vegetarian foods you do not shrivel up. I have been a vegetarian for 40 years. I am 64 . I play tennis three or four times a week. I have not lost any muscle mass. I have no health issues. I take no pills.  Be careful about the propaganda by  the big animal products industries.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, cfi said:

cf

And next week there will be a study and book debunking this as false and saying the opposite. Just like all the diet fads that come and go. There's a diet right now that says it's healthy and safe to eat Bacon, Steak, butter, coconut oil, and heavy cream as long as you don't eat any carbs or sugar!

The problem today is that there are so many "experts" out there on the internet to tell you a certain way is fine because they are a "doctor".

Excercise (being active) and food moderation are the key cutting out alot of the junk and processed stuff. Problem is this requires will power and effort and isn't as easy as just saying don't eat 'x' or 'y' and the pounds will just fall off.

People will always try and tell you their way is the best and works, and they are healthy even if they really aren't. Skinny doesn't equal healthy, just like fat doesn't always mean unhealthy.

In this case, he was always big in his playing days then ballooned really big to almost 500lbs they said after his career was done. The very large fluctuations in weight gain and loss may have also taken a toll on him.

• Like (+1) 1

Folks, don’t eat trash everyday, moderate yourself and exercise.. you don’t have to be a gym hero but move around. He ate terribly to say the least and it started at a young age. His mother admitted they never made home made meals and the family was enabling him as a youngster. From all accounts a good dude and very sad for his two youngsters.