Dolphins DL Kendrick Norton has arm amputated following serious car wreck

19 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....July 5, 2009.......had the ribs and chicken on the grill...my son had just helped me clean the pool....said he had to run over to a girl's house and would be back in 20 minutes.....my late wife's cell rang and it was the County Sheriff....."your son was involved in a serious accident and is en route to the hospital.......we're not sure if he will survive"......a call a parent NEVER wants...t-boned by a drunk 19 year old who drank through the day and night on the 4th into the 5th (he died a day later)....my son's Ford Explorer barrel rolled for 75 feet, ending up against a tree, stopping it from hitting a house with him ejected through the windshield....somehow after 80+ stitches and staples, broken femur, 4 broken ribs, collapsed lung and two broken hips, all of which required more surgical hardware than Home Depot could ever stock, we did make it.....today he is a 245 lb monster....PLEASE, PLEASE fellow TBD brethren, BE SAFE this holiday weekend.....

AFLG - glad to know your son came through that but wow....  thank you for sharing.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

I thought your post was ending a different way. This must still be a reflective holiday, hope your family is enjoying it.

...I anguished over posting this, fearing some would think I hijacked the thread.......but I merely wanted to share a real life, near tragic experience occurring on a holiday weekend which is to be celebratory occasion.....safety of TBD brethren was well worth the risk for me....

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t know anything about him, but sorry to read about this story.  For the Old Time, I’m sorry you went through that, but glad you’re boy is ok.

This is one of the reasons I try and stay off the road on the typical holidays where people drink too much.

I was driving home one New Year’s Eve after a night out with my wife, her mother and her uncle. It was just after midnight and I had had ZERO to drink. I was driving, and it was NYE, so.... Sure enough, we come upon a DUI checkpoint and I finally get to the front of the line. The cop asks me where I’m going. Home, I say. What’s your address? I tell him (literally about 3 minutes away). He waves me through and I say “wait, that’s it?”  He says “see that parking lot?” and points to a large appliance store with a big lot FULL of cars. He says “that lot is full with people who couldn’t do what you just did.”

Hard to believe ANY of us got home that night!

I was hesitant to go to a friends yesterday for a cookout, even knowing my wife wouldn’t drink (I drank for both of us!). It was the other fools that concerned me. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, R Y G A R said:

Prayers for the young man. Any possibility he could play with a prosthetic arm? If there were any position that would have a better chance to do so, I would guess it would be DL.

As much as I’d like to believe it and see it, I really doubt it. Leverage is so important to winning battles and hands and arms are so important to leverage, that I just can’t see a prosthetic offering the same advantages of a real arm. That said, prosthetic technology is evolving so rapidly that I’d never say never. 

40 minutes ago, K-9 said:

As much as I’d like to believe it and see it, I really doubt it. Leverage is so important to winning battles and hands and arms are so important to leverage, that I just can’t see a prosthetic offering the same advantages of a real arm. That said, prosthetic technology is evolving so rapidly that I’d never say never. 

it's difficult enough with two fully functioning arms built to maximum strength and leverage

and if you were competing for a roster spot heading into camp the odds weren't the best for you to begin with

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Terrible story. Even worse when the victim is not at fault in any way. It'll never make up for the loss of an arm or his career but I hope he gets a ***** load of insurance money so he never has to worry about money ever again. 

so far, no charges.

Florida Highway Patrol says Norton’s 2017 Ford F250 was heading west on the Dolphin Expressway (State Road 836) around 1:18 a.m. near the Palmetto Expressway (State Road 826) intersection when it hit a concrete barrier. The truck flipped and, when it stopped, was on its roof.

Norton’s left arm suffered the injury. Miami Beach Police said two off-duty officers and an emergency medical technician were able to give “life-saving aid” until Miami-Dade Fire Rescue could arrive.

FHP also said a Maserati was involved, but driver Jessie Pena was uninjured. The crash investigation report isn’t available yet.

A family friend of Norton’s said his vehicle got cut off before it flipped

link

if not his fault he could come in to good amount but if he was at fault, depending on coverage which I'm sure he was able to afford full. it would seem that would only cover damage and medical costs? he's fortunate to be alive, had they not amputated he likely would of bled to death. it will be a tough hill to climb, both mentally and physically for the young man.

On 7/4/2019 at 11:17 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....July 5, 2009.......had the ribs and chicken on the grill...my son had just helped me clean the pool....said he had to run over to a girl's house and would be back in 20 minutes.....my late wife's cell rang and it was the County Sheriff....."your son was involved in a serious accident and is en route to the hospital.......we're not sure if he will survive"......a call a parent NEVER wants...t-boned by a drunk 19 year old who drank through the day and night on the 4th into the 5th (he died a day later)....my son's Ford Explorer barrel rolled for 75 feet, ending up against a tree, stopping it from hitting a house with him ejected through the windshield....somehow after 80+ stitches and staples, broken femur, 4 broken ribs, collapsed lung and two broken hips, all of which required more surgical hardware than Home Depot could ever stock, we did make it.....today he is a 245 lb monster....PLEASE, PLEASE fellow TBD brethren, BE SAFE this holiday weekend.....

Glad your story ended well. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Augie said:

I was driving home one New Year’s Eve after a night out with my wife, her mother and her uncle. It was just after midnight and I had had ZERO to drink. I was driving, and it was NYE, so.... Sure enough, we come upon a DUI checkpoint and I finally get to the front of the line. The cop asks me where I’m going. Home, I say. What’s your address? I tell him (literally about 3 minutes away). He waves me through and I say “wait, that’s it?”  He says “see that parking lot?” and points to a large appliance store with a big lot FULL of cars. He says “that lot is full with people who couldn’t do what you just did.”

Hard to believe ANY of us got home that night!

I was hesitant to go to a friends yesterday for a cookout, even knowing my wife wouldn’t drink (I drank for both of us!). It was the other fools that concerned me. 

NYE is often called rookie night. With all the uber and lyft servisesthere is no reason to get behind the wheel. I have a nephew that has a disease that prevents him from touching alcohol.  In fact he has a constant dry mouth that causes him to be hard to understand.  That all said, many people in his town have him on speed dial. Many of them take advantage of his kindness but he gives rides home at 3 am if they call him. I say that to say this. Be available  people. That call is better then the one to tell you a loved one is dead. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/4/2019 at 4:34 PM, ALLEN1QB said:

Too bad Tom Brady wasn't with him

What a scummy post. All for the horrible crime of being good at a sport and beating up on an ineptly run franchise for the bulk of his career.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

What a scummy post. All for the horrible crime of being good at a sport and beating up on an ineptly run franchise for the bulk of his career.

....ignorance is sadly bliss for some......I'm with you bro......:thumbsup:

Just now, fansince88 said:

Yes, but even an old man sniping at people from a balcony wouldnt wouldn't wish that on anyone.....right? 

I think the original poster meant "Too bad Tom Brady wasn't with him" in the sense that Mr. Bundchen could have laid hands on him or given him some magic water and healed him on the spot.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1