Dolphins DL Kendrick Norton has arm amputated following serious car wreck

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Wow!  Was your son wearing a seatbelt?

...unfortunately no, resulting in ejection through the windshield........debris field was 150 ft by 150 ft.....I knew which way he would have traveled and came upon the site....went under the caution tape to look for personal belongings and valuables....volunteer firefighter charged me , screaming to "get the hell outside the tape"......went after him and was restrained by 3 deputies who understood my rage when I said, "it is my son"...........

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

It is definitely possible.  There was a kid in Iowa iirc, cut both his arms off above the elbow on a piece of farm equipment.  He was alone, so he ran to the house and somehow called 911 with is face, this was before cell phones. They reattached both arms.  I don't think he has much usage of them, but he has his arms.

Found the story, it was North Dakota not Iowa: https://people.com/archive/too-tough-to-die-vol-37-no-4/

Thanks for the link.  Pretty amazing.

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I’ve never heard of paramedics amputating anything at the scene of an accident.

I don’t believe thats in the scope of standard practice of any EMS agency in the country. If anything, it was a “SMART” team, a team of doctors that respond to serious accidents in a fly car (typically a Chevy Tahoe). They obviously have the medical scope to do anything necessary. The only exception I could see is, as others have mentioned, it was literally dangling by a flap of skin and needed to be removed to get him from the vehicle. 

Edited by Bills2ref

Feel bad for this young man.  He was hoping to make the team after being a seventh round draft pick and cut from Carolina.  Doubt he'll be able to have full use of his arm, let alone play again, if they can re-attach the arm.  I'm surprised an EMT has the pain numbing drugs and equipment to remove an arm on site.

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Hope it wasn't his drinking arm.

(In a few days no one will care one bit about this story. So those people who are righteous right now will be back to forgetting bad stuff happens all the time. Get angry at what I say now but you will forget and make a joke in the same manner b.c in the end if we felt bad over every single thing that happened to every human in the world, this world would commit suicide.) Get off your moral high horse!

Sorry throwing a big ass BS flag on this; not funny and pretty childish, no not even childish - moronic!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....July 5, 2009.......had the ribs and chicken on the grill...my son had just helped me clean the pool....said he had to run over to a girl's house and would be back in 20 minutes.....my late wife's cell rang and it was the County Sheriff....."your son was involved in a serious accident and is en route to the hospital.......we're not sure if he will survive"......a call a parent NEVER wants...t-boned by a drunk 19 year old who drank through the day and night on the 4th into the 5th (he died a day later)....my son's Ford Explorer barrel rolled for 75 feet, ending up against a tree, stopping it from hitting a house with him ejected through the windshield....somehow after 80+ stitches and staples, broken femur, 4 broken ribs, collapsed lung and two broken hips, all of which required more surgical hardware than Home Depot could ever stock, we did make it.....today he is a 245 lb monster....PLEASE, PLEASE fellow TBD brethren, BE SAFE this holiday weekend.....

I thought your post was ending a different way. This must still be a reflective holiday, hope your family is enjoying it.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

They may have deemed it necessary to remove him from the vehicle. 

This is what I heard.

4 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Is that even possible?  I thought once a limb was removed, it is gone for good.

It can be if a checklist of conditions are met, including time limits and the condition of the limb.  If they had to remove the arm to get him out of the wreck, his arm might not have been in great condition anyway.

5 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

(In a few days no one will care one bit about this story. So those people who are righteous right now will be back to forgetting bad stuff happens all the time. Get angry at what I say now but you will forget and make a joke in the same manner b.c in the end if we felt bad over every single thing that happened to every human in the world, this world would commit suicide.) Get off your moral high horse!

Get off your high horse about people being on their high horse.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

If the car is in danger of going up in flames it is one circumstance which they will get doctor's permission and direction to do it.

There are others.

11 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I’ve never heard of paramedics amputating anything at the scene of an accident.

If they have to do it to save a life.... or you meant other people on the scene are more likely to remove a trapped arm or leg???

this is awful, made kind of worse by an article telling me that losing his arm might end his pro football career.... you think?

Edited by row_33

5 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Is that even possible?  I thought once a limb was removed, it is gone for good.

Naw. It’s like a lizards tail tho. If it’s amputated correctly and cut at a 45* angle, it will grow back 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Naw. It’s like a lizards tail tho. If it’s amputated correctly and cut at a 45* angle, it will grow back 

Like the House episode where they were all under a building threatening to collapse any second? My latent claustrophobia was triggered.

Or whatever that fear is of being trapped in a small sliver of space and then a building falls on you

Edited by row_33

5 hours ago, MacGyver said:

It is definitely possible.  There was a kid in Iowa iirc, cut both his arms off above the elbow on a piece of farm equipment.  He was alone, so he ran to the house and somehow called 911 with is face, this was before cell phones. They reattached both arms.  I don't think he has much usage of them, but he has his arms.

Found the story, it was North Dakota not Iowa: https://people.com/archive/too-tough-to-die-vol-37-no-4/

Followup:

'The kid in the bathtub': Twenty years later

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/the-kid-in-the-bathtub-twenty-years-later/article_84f9bf0c-54d8-11e1-9123-0019bb2963f4.html

11 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

That, and the limb was in bad shape, and he was in bad shape (i.e. likely to die without immediate attention.)  If he were just pinned and stable, they'd probably work to get his arm freed.

Doesn't happen often, maybe once a year nationwide. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That, and the limb was in bad shape, and he was in bad shape (i.e. likely to die without immediate attention.)  If he were just pinned and stable, they'd probably work to get his arm freed.

Doesn't happen often, maybe once a year nationwide. 

Yup, it’s escaping death by a hair’s breath to be in that bad a situation and unable to get out of there

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

If they have to do it to save a life.... or you meant other people on the scene are more likely to remove a trapped arm or leg???

this is awful, made kind of worse by an article telling me that losing his arm might end his pro football career.... you think?

Its just not something that I would assume they have the level of training to perform. 

9 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

133.jpg