Classic live albums

Just Jack

17 hours ago, Gugny said:

Fantastic call!  Excellent live album and I agree 100% re: Bad.

Funny (to me) story:  I was getting out of the Navy in 1993.  I left France and headed kooback to Norfolk, VA to begin my exit processing.  I caught the video of Weiland and Dean DeLeo doing "Plush," with just an acoustic guitar.

LOVED IT.  It was the first I'd ever heard of STP and the only song I'd ever heard from them.

So I went out and bought "Core."  Holy ***** was I surprised at what it was.  I was expecting acoustic rock, LOL.  Turns out, it was one of the greatest albums I'd ever heard and I was hooked on STP from the start.

It is amazing how we discover music. I didn't even like them to begin with.

I remember going back to school at UB in 2005. It turns out that STP played at the school and I missed it! Someone told me and I was like "They were here? Another I forgot about is "Riding with the. King" Eric Clapton and BB King.

Billy Joel - "Songs in the Attic"

I'm not sure how I left this off of my original list, as it's one of my favorite albums of all time, let alone live albums.

Brief history:  All the songs on this live album are from Billy Joel's earlier years (1971-1976).  The live recordings are all from 1980 concerts.  Billy Joel, by 1980, had a well-established recording and touring band ... which he did not have in the earlier years.  He wanted to give his current band a chance to perform these songs live, and record them, with their own twists.

Anyone who likes Billy Joel and hasn't heard this album should really check it out.  It's great, great stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Billy Joel - "Songs in the Attic"

I'm not sure how I left this off of my original list, as it's one of my favorite albums of all time, let alone live albums.

Brief history:  All the songs on this live album are from Billy Joel's earlier years (1971-1976).  The live recordings are all from 1980 concerts.  Billy Joel, by 1980, had a well-established recording and touring band ... which he did not have in the earlier years.  He wanted to give his current band a chance to perform these songs live, and record them, with their own twists.

Anyone who likes Billy Joel and hasn't heard this album should really check it out.  It's great, great stuff.

I honestly don't but I'm a huge fan so I'll have to check it out. 

I also forgot Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash storytellers (or unplugged, I honestly confuse the two.) But it's in the last few years of Johnny's life, and it's just Johnny and Willie with acoustic guitars. 

I have the DVD, but also it's in CD form. Muddy Waters with the Rolling Stones Live at the Checkerboard Lounge. The best part was, the crowd had no idea. They thought they were just paying to see Muddy Waters play at his club. He and his band play two songs or so, then Mick, Keith (with his own bottle of whiskey), and the whole band walk in. And they just jam. Buddy Guy, and Junior Wells also show up as guest stars.

Speaking of Blues, if Live in the Studio albums count, Stevie Ray and Albert King "In Session" is fantastic as well.

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I have the DVD, but also it's in CD form. Muddy Waters with the Rolling Stones Live at the Checkerboard Lounge. The best part was, the crowd had no idea. They thought they were just paying to see Muddy Waters play at his club. He and his band play two songs or so, then Mick, Keith (with his own bottle of whiskey), and the whole band walk in. And they just jam. Buddy Guy, and Junior Wells also show up as guest stars.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The DVD has been requested from the library. Too bad the vinyl is rare and $125! I can't wait to watch this.

On 7/6/2019 at 4:58 PM, Gugny said:

Friend of mine was at UB in the early 90s and passed up a Nirvana show for a party.  Never got to see them.  Kicks himself.

I remember them being here...Kobain called it a day a few weeks later.I

Still sad..he sure had talent..recalling the MTV acoustic concert...NYC?

Forgot about this one... have it on CD and play it maybe a couple of times a month in the car, never gets old. I once found a mono copy of this on vinyl... rare as hell:

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T&C said:

Forgot about this one... have it on CD and play it maybe a couple of times a month in the car, never gets old. I once found a mono copy of this on vinyl... rare as hell:

Only Ball and Chain was live, the rest was an audience dubbed in.

————————

any of Dick’s Picks from 1970 to 1975

Edited by row_33

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

————————

Probably the Beach Boys, as is seen/heard here:

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

————————

I would say any Dick’s Picks from the 60’s thru 1979. My favorite one just might be #5 from 12/26/79, the AQ is spectacular.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Rico said:

I would say any Dick’s Picks from the 60’s thru 1979. My favorite one just might be #5 from 12/26/79, the AQ is spectacular.

You are more eclectic than me.... will give 5 a listen on your recommendation 

10 minutes ago, T&C said:

Ever heard Cheap Thrills in mono? 

Added to my list, 5.1 was great

I wouldn't consider any of these "classic" albums in either age or popularity but some of my favorites are:

OAR- Any Time Now

Tragically Hip- Live Between Us

Jack Johnson- En Concert

Bare Naked Ladies- Rock Spectacle

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band- Live 1975-85

Todd Snider- Near Truths and Hotel Rooms

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, row_33 said:

You are more eclectic than me.... will give 5 a listen on your recommendation 

Added to my list, 5.1 was great

Yeah, I am more of a 2nd set fan than a 1st set fan, but that show is played very up-tempo and the 1st set really swings. I particularly like the Me And My Uncle > Big River and Alabama Getaway.... plus like I said, the sound is just tremendous, so crystal clear.

40 minutes ago, Rico said:

Yeah, I am more of a 2nd set fan than a 1st set fan, but that show is played very up-tempo and the 1st set really swings. I particularly like the Me And My Uncle > Big River and Alabama Getaway.... plus like I said, the sound is just tremendous, so crystal clear.

have you gone through all of them, and the other series of concert releases?

if so, please advise on your top recommendations of each series (asking for 3 is kind of juvenile....)

Edited by row_33

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

have you gone through all of them, and the other series of concert releases?

if so, please advise on your top recommendations of each series (asking for 3 is kind of juvenile....)

I’ve listened to most all thru either flacs from Usenet or premium Spotify. That one (Dick’s Picks 5), I actually bought the CDs when it came out, so I am more aware of it. The others are more of a blur, but I always liked Buffalo 5/77 from the Cornell box, Red Rocks 78 (the one of the 2 shows with Deal, think it’s a Dave’s Pick), 

Englishtown, NJ 77 (Dick’s Pick), Baltimore 72 (Dick’s Pick), and too many shows from the Europe 72 box to figure. Most would say Harpur College 1970 (Dick’s Pick), it’s nice but not one my top favs.

Edited by Rico
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/5/2019 at 11:49 AM, Seasons1992 said:

"Stop Making Sense" by Talking Heads

I always thought the Talking Heads were just okay; when a friend turned me on to this movie, I gained a whole new appreciation for them.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 12:32 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Got this from the library. What a video!

• Like (+1) 1