Classic live albums

Just Jack

Lou Reed - Rock n Roll Animal

Dec 21, 1973 Academy of Music NYC

Intro/Sweet Jane is arguably the best of any album start either live or studio. There is no video of the original gig but someone dubbed the album recording with Lou & his band playing Intro/Sweet Jane in Paris in early ‘74. Gives a good perspective of live Lou.

Edited by Mr Info
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr Info said:

Lou Reed - Rock n Roll Animal

Dec 21, 1973 Academy of Music NYC

Intro/Sweet Jane is arguably the best album opening either live or studio. There is no video of the original gig but someone dubbed the album recording with Lou & his band playing Intro/Sweet Jane in Paris in early ‘74. Gives a good perspective of live Lou.

Excellent work! How did I forget this. Reed had a lot of influence on later artists!

On 7/3/2019 at 10:40 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Bottom line is there's too much to choose from.

True dat. A couple I didn't see mentioned:

Tom Petty, the Live Anthology

Guess Who, Live at the Paramount, IMO one of the best live albums ever.

petty.jpg

guess who.jpg

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Missing alice in chains unplugged is an egregious mistake.  Probably top 5

Pearl jam live on 2 legs should have been on the list

Check Page 1.

This was only released as a video and not as an album, but I wanted to throw it out there .... Van Halen - Live Without a Net.

It's a complete concert from New Haven, CT from their 5150 tour (their first with Sammy Hagar).  I remember watching it with buddies on VHS shortly after it came out. 

Phenomenal concert, but surprisingly short (12 songs, a drum solo, bass solo and guitar solo).

• Like (+1) 1

Bob Seger - Live Bullet- Probably my top five favorite albums of all time, studio or live. Caught Seger in his prime. A lot of awesome covers on the album. Also got me through some tough times in my life.

Lynyrd Skynyrd- One More From The Road - Free Bird alone makes this one a classic. But they were such a tight band. Call Me the Breeze, Tuesdays' Gone. 

Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom - Aside from the social significance of it, I love how it's not just a "Greatest Hits" live compilation. He played songs for the inmates that spoke to them and what they were going through. 

Paul McCartney Back in the US - It came out around 2002 or so. Probably nothing historically significant. Just a compilation of shows he did on a tour. But it spans everything from Beatles, to Wings, to his solo career up until that point. I was just starting to become a huge Beatles fan when it came out and my dad got it for me for Christmas.  

I had a CD that I downloaded from Limewire back in the day. Don't think it was technically an album. But it was a bootleg of a concert Elton John did in the late 90s, at Carnegie Hall or something I believe. Just Elton and a piano with nothing else. 

On 7/3/2019 at 8:51 PM, dhg said:

The Band- The Last Waltz

Full-stop. This is one of two. 
The other is "Stop Making Sense" by Talking Heads. If you haven't seen this concert movie, cancel your plans and watch it tonight.