LEAKED: Comprehensive breakdown of 3-4 Defense by Mike Pettine

7 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

This is a really interesting document. I'm going to be glancing at this for a while. I wonder how much some of these coverage concepts have evolved since 2005. But, this is a really educational read. Even just seeing the terminology used in such a format really helps.

I think the answer is a lot. The stuff in the powerpoint is pretty much your install level defense. The complexity that flows off it is constantly changing. 

On 7/4/2019 at 8:50 AM, dave mcbride said:

Um ... no. The Bills offense was 30th worst in turnovers surrendered (31st in the INT category, meaning only one team threw more), and the Bills defense had the 32nd best defensive field position on average when they trotted out on the field—i.e., dead last. The bills offense was 26th in TOP and 30th in plays run too. All of that has a HUGE impact on the points allowed category. Dig a little deeper rather than simply throw out “points!” as a determinative category. 

The NFL rulebook supports points as the determative category for the game. 

personally  I  Think the best way to measure team defense is the percentage of drives that end in touchdowns. Even if the offense turns over the ball at the fifty  a good defense should typically  it slow the td.  This stat solves two problems.  One problem the “yards” problem is best best illustrated by example.  Opposing team starts on their own 10 and drives fifty yards then is stopped at the forty and the field goal is blocked.  That defense surrrendered fifty yards.  Second opposing team starts at the defensive 40 and drives for a  td    That team comes out better on “ yards”

next tbe problem of points.  Historically teams like the saints and patriots scote lots of points and finish drives fairly quickly.   This  means their defenses will play more series.  If their offensive proficiency results I. 2 more defensive series per game that is 32 more times the opponents have a chance to score during the season. 

On 7/4/2019 at 10:16 PM, TigerJ said:

While I like generally what the Pegulas have done as owners, they should have recognized the situation they were creating in the hiring of Wrecks Ryan. 

....I'm going to say they initially got caught up in the pomp, glitz and glitter of being NFL Owners and who wouldn't?.....briefly, with the Marrone exodus and with both Whaley & Brandon under contract, can you afford to lose your HC, GM & Prez simultaneously without a TOTAL organizational collapse (fire the other two)?...so marketing boy Brandon sells the giddy new Owners on Wrecks and I believe season tix swelled beyond 60,000....shortly after the Florida signing, I think news reports had him as a "rock star type on the streets of Boca"...hindsight and the corrective measures taken (firing the Gruesome Twosome Twins) said they did recognize post mortem......

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The NFL rulebook supports points as the determative category for the game. 

That’s not an argument. If the offense throws 2 pick sixes and fumbles twice in their own end, the oppenent may well end up scoring 31 points. But it’s not a reflection AT ALL of the actual defensive performance.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That’s not an argument. If the offense throws 2 pick sixes and fumbles twice in their own end, the oppenent may well end up scoring 31 points. But it’s not a reflection AT ALL of the actual defensive performance.

I’m not sure Pick sixes count in defenses points allowed. If it is, that is a flaw... same for PRs and KRs for TDs. 

Fumbles should turn into FGs not TDs against a good defense. 

Points allowed by the defense is absolutely the only way to measure a defense. That’s their job. 

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m not sure Pick sixes count in defenses points allowed. If it is, that is a flaw... same for PRs and KRs for TDs. 

Fumbles should turn into FGs not TDs against a good defense. 

Points allowed by the defense is absolutely the only way to measure a defense. That’s their job. 

A pick 6 would obviously not fall under the category of defensive points allowed. A simplistic glance at PPG would include them, but certainly not an advanced metric resource.

There are too many factors that go into points allowed to simply defer to it as the be all end all, but to each their own.

24 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

A pick 6 would obviously not fall under the category of defensive points allowed. A simplistic glance at PPG would include them, but certainly not an advanced metric resource.

There are too many factors that go into points allowed to simply defer to it as the be all end all, but to each their own.

Scoreboard... I’ll go with that. All the other evaluation criteria are just attempts at rationalizing 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

On 7/3/2019 at 12:22 PM, GunnerBill said:

Oh it was more than slightly improved. The 2012 defense was 22nd in yards and 26th in points. The 2013 defense was 10th in yards and 20th in points. People forget how bad that Wannastache defense it was. It was absolutely woeful. Pettine came in and with broadly the same players - the only real additions were Hughes, Alonso and Jim Leonhard - turned it in to a top 10 defense.

Now there is no bigger Jim Schwartz fan than me and he is a top quality DC. I loved the hire from the start. But Pettine did some of the heavy lifting in that turnaround that Schwartz benefitted from. And he did it by ditching his ego at the door and not forcing a scheme onto talent that wasn't a fit. That was the point that I was making..... not that Pettine was the best DC ever but that he did a good job and it is interesting to contrast his approach with the approach his own "big brother" / mentor took 2 years later.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:59 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not to interrupt the Pettine lovefest, but while our D was slightly improved, vs 2012 Wannstache under 2013 Pettine, we absolutely sucked against the run.  One reason we had a relatively good pass D was that teams ran the ball down our throats.  28th against the run.  11th against the run next year under Schwartz, #4 overall, mostly same personnel.

That's kind of by design, Pettine relied on a blitz-heavy system which left gaps the opponent's run game could exploit.

It's pretty clear the real Doctor of Defense was Schwartz.

Per drive, the 2013 Pettine D was statistically top ten or close to it in every single category. Top 12 in points per drive.

It was a good defense. Another more handsome poster had previously done the leg work in a different thread.