NFL HoF thinking about enshrining 20 members

Just now, klos63 said:

You really think they will, or is just that you will, no matter the qualifications.

Both.  It will always be in the back of their minds whether they truly deserved it.  Especially this year since there's no surefire first ballot HOFer.  

Tasker doesn’t belong in HOF. Levy should not have been inducted before Coryell or Flores.

Coryell had more impact on NFL.  Tom Flores has two SB wins. Levy was very good and has a better overall record put crapped the bed in the biggest game.

If they try and do this one time correction, it should be for offensive linemen, kickers, and defense. There are enough Offense skill players.

That said they should waive the waiting period for Brady, Manning, and Brees. They may be the greatest quarterbacks of all time. Not my top 3 but you can make a good case for them being top 3 in that order.

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Heck, why not 100 inductees for the centennial?   If you're going to rely on cheap gimmicks, go all out!

KD, I’m surprised with House and your response. The others, not so much. There’s no gimmick here, the Hall is trying to make up for oversights and their own rule of 8 enshrine/yr maximum. The Hall opened in ‘63, 42 years after the League ‘kicked off’. The Bills made the playoffs that year but Canton wasn’t taking the AFL seriously at that time. 13 members made the initial class, 5 of which were team owners or League President. Sammy Baugh, Red Grange & Don Hutson hi-lighted the initial players. So the Hall has been playing catch up ever since and this is the sole reason for the large Centennial Class. The AFL merger is the single biggest ‘thing’ the League did their 1st century and I’m hoping that’s what influences some of the extra enshrines. Butch Byrd, George Saimes, Tom Sestak & Jack Kemp were significant contributors from our team to the AFL in helping force the merger and it’s what I’d like to see. Yes, Hull, Tasker, Wolford and Biscuit were tremendous players and I hope they’ll eventually get in. But if it’s ever going to happen for our forgotten AFL superstars, next year is the year.

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Tasker doesn’t belong in HOF. Levy should not have been inducted before Coryell or Flores.

Coryell had more impact on NFL.  Tom Flores has two SB wins. Levy was very good and has a better overall record put crapped the bed in the biggest game.

If they try and do this one time correction, it should be for offensive linemen, kickers, and defense. There are enough Offense skill players.

That said they should waive the waiting period for Brady, Manning, and Brees. They may be the greatest quarterbacks of all time. Not my top 3 but you can make a good case for them being top 3 in that order.

Shut up.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, klos63 said:

You really think they will, or is just that you will, no matter the qualifications.

Right, someone like Andre Reed would have gotten in a couple years earlier. Like he should have except for some antiquated rule about limiting the number of enshrinees each year.

Not only that, they pick six every year. 

I thought it was great when baseball a few years ago didn’t enshrine anybody.  That was the year when Bonds and Clemens were first eligible.

29 minutes ago, ColeB said:

Not only that, they pick six every year. 

I thought it was great when baseball a few years ago didn’t enshrine anybody.  That was the year when Bonds and Clemens were first eligible.

Bonds and Clemens not in makes Cooperstown a joke

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Fans too like the guys with bags on their heads and the table jumper who missed and got table leg stabbed thru him

The moron who fell off the upper deck.

First ballot material stuff!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The NFL HoF is  thinking about enshrining 20 members in it's 2020 class which is the centennial year of the NFL

The HoF is a very selective group so I am sure that this will be debated because 20 is a large number

But this COULD FINALLY be the time that Takser gets in if it is approved

What say you?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034967/article/david-baker-hof-to-consider-20-enshrinees-for-2020

....TWENTY induction speeches?.......ceremony would stretch out longer than the damn draft..............

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They should not waive the waiting period for any living person, ever. 

Otherwise I agree with this post.

Edited by KD in CA

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

KD, I’m surprised with House and your response. The others, not so much. There’s no gimmick here, the Hall is trying to make up for oversights and their own rule of 8 enshrine/yr maximum. The Hall opened in ‘63, 42 years after the League ‘kicked off’. The Bills made the playoffs that year but Canton wasn’t taking the AFL seriously at that time. 13 members made the initial class, 5 of which were team owners or League President. Sammy Baugh, Red Grange & Don Hutson hi-lighted the initial players. So the Hall has been playing catch up ever since and this is the sole reason for the large Centennial Class. The AFL merger is the single biggest ‘thing’ the League did their 1st century and I’m hoping that’s what influences some of the extra enshrines. Butch Byrd, George Saimes, Tom Sestak & Jack Kemp were significant contributors from our team to the AFL in helping force the merger and it’s what I’d like to see. Yes, Hull, Tasker, Wolford and Biscuit were tremendous players and I hope they’ll eventually get in. But if it’s ever going to happen for our forgotten AFL superstars, next year is the year.

Really good point here about the AFL that I didn’t consider.

If they are using the extra pucks to comb through the decades to correct situations that have fallen through the cracks, yes I get it and it makes sense.  I just don’t want to see  5 more WRs from the pinball era.

Thanks for the post Chandler.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Really good point here about the AFL that I didn’t consider.

If they are using the extra pucks to comb through the decades to correct situations that have fallen through the cracks, yes I get it and it makes sense.  I just don’t want to see  5 more WRs from the pinball era.

Thanks for the post Chandler.

a strong campaign got Floyd Little in after he was forgotten

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Gigs said:

I know right? If anything it just means more HoF quality players get in. A participation trophy? They arent just letting anyone get in lol

How do you explain a guy like Jerome Bettis? Or in the future, Eli Manning, Matt Ryan? Phillip Rivers might get in too and I'm borderline on him being a HOFer. All these guys will get in if we say there is no limit on the number of guys that can make it.

7 minutes ago, mattynh said:

First inductee:  1999-2019 Buffalo Bills?

Only if you are obsessed with bashing Bills. Plenty of other teams have crazy fans.  Some are even so obsessed with it they spend most of their time on other fans boards bashing Bills.

19 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Horrible idea.  Takes away from the prestige.  The HOF should not be handing out participation trophies.

I agree. On a similar note the other morning on WGR Jeremy was yapping how they should retire more numbers and have more statues of players.  You do it too ofter or make where so many players get in it doesn't make it as special