Pro football talk hates Buffalo - CBA and stadium funding

5 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Lol no...it doesn’t read like that, unless you: 1) aren’t familiar with Florio or PFT at all, or 2) are the most naive person on earth. Seriously if you are familiar with his site at all you should know by now he engages in wild conjecture, almost exclusively. Florio did not “hear” anything from ANYONE “involved in the process.” For you to even come close to believing that **** is, frankly, laughable. He runs a aggregator site bro. And infuses it with his speculation. That’s it. Goddamn mate.

That’s just amazing to me that you even came to that take. 

have you read some of his takes lately? cringey.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Yes, but I believe the negotiating point brought up is to change that for the Stadium fund, soft of like a write-off in the tax world.  At least that's how it read to me.

The stadium loan money or other stadium expenses doesn’t affect the total revenue pool from which they get their cut.  So I wouldn’t make sense for them to worry about stadium funding

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

See my post above. That’s not what Florio said AT ALL. 

Take a look at Stevewin's post (below mine) and the section he quoted.  What do you think "A market where the return on the investment could be greater? A market where more NFL players would prefer to live and to work?” means?

6 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Lol no...it doesn’t read like that, unless you: 1) aren’t familiar with Florio or PFT at all, or 2) are the most naive person on earth. Seriously if you are familiar with his site at all you should know by now he engages in wild conjecture, almost exclusively. Florio did not “hear” anything from ANYONE “involved in the process.” For you to even come close to believing that **** is, frankly, laughable. He runs a aggregator site bro. And infuses it with his speculation. That’s it. Goddamn mate.

That’s just amazing to me that you even came to that take. 

LOL 

What'd you do, wake up and inadvertantly put automotive grease on your toothbrush this morning.  

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Take a look at Stevewin's post (below mine) and the section he quoted.  What do you think "A market where the return on the investment could be greater? A market where more NFL players would prefer to live and to work?” means?

He is using Buffalo as a hypothetical case, and it's actually a good hypothetical given the circumstances in Buffalo (big questions about a new stadium in a context of low current stadium revenue and a low-valued franchise) and the nature of the issue itself. Florio is hardly bashing the Bills or mendaciously trying to "generate clicks." The CBA is arguably THE off-the-field issue going forward for the next few years. He is the first person I know of in the media to write about the stadium money carve-out (which I was completely unaware of), and it's genuinely interesting (at least to me). I for one applaud him for raising the issue. 

Fwiw, I don't think the Bills are going anywhere because of who the owners are, but I also expect that there will be a new domed stadium built before too long. The current stadium situation isn't really viable given the revenue problems associated with it. As for New Era, the renovation that occurred there (under $150 million) was paltry compared to Arrowhead, which underwent an $850 million renovation (effectively making it a new stadium). The NFL has been clearing out of bad stadiums lately - SD , Oakland, St. Louis (the LA Colosseum doesn't really count) - and the Bills and Jax have probably the worst stadium revenue situations at the moment (and I won't be surprised if Jax eventually moves; I think they probably should). 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The stadium loan money or other stadium expenses doesn’t affect the total revenue pool from which they get their cut.  So I wouldn’t make sense for them to worry about stadium funding

I know it does not currently, but that is what the article is about.  Potentially negotiating that it WOULD affect the pool in the future and, in turn, the players potentially wanting some say in how the money is spent since they, essentially, would have paid for part of it.

Edited by Mark80

the fear-mongering by PFT is never-ending.

remember the annual, LeSean McCoy is going to get traded/cut posts from previous years.

i'd suggest not including a link because it only provides the site credence in clicks.

it's barely a tip sheet of a site.

Florio has authority of predicting the weather.

jw

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

I know it does not currently, but that is what the article is about.  Potentially negotiating that it WOULD affect the pool in the future and, in turn, the players potentially wanting some say in how the money is spent since they, essentially, would have paid for part of it.

That’s an impractical scenario.  Players are transient so there’s no way this would make sense for either side. 

The players already have full revenue share access as a result of the last CBA there is no way they would give that up.  

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Fwiw, I don't think the Bills are going anywhere because of who the owners are, but I also expect that there will be a new domed stadium built before too long. 

Outstanding post!  

On this part of it, what are your thoughts on how tailgating factors into the mix?  

Mine are simple, as I see it tailgating in Buffalo is as much a part of the game-day experience as the game itself, perhaps more even.  By building a downtown stadium it's unlikely that the tailgating climate stays intact.  I'm not sure it can given the proposals that I've seen thus far.  

Edited by Ronin

5 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Outstanding post!  

On this part of it, what are your thoughts on how tailgating factors into the mix?  

Mine are simple, as I see it tailgating in Buffalo is as much a part of the game-day experience as the game itself, perhaps more even.  By building a downtown stadium it's unlikely that the tailgating climate stays intact.  I'm not sure it can given the proposals that I've seen thus far.  

I honestly don't know, but it being Buffalo, I have a hunch that fans will figure something out.

1 hour ago, john wawrow said:

the fear-mongering by PFT is never-ending.

remember the annual, LeSean McCoy is going to get traded/cut posts from previous years.

i'd suggest not including a link because it only provides the site credence in clicks.

it's barely a tip sheet of a site.

Florio has authority of predicting the weather.

jw

It's not really fear-mongering though, and in any event do you REALLY think that's the purpose of this particular piece? I certainly don't think so, and I've read it a couple of times. As I've said above, it's the first I've read about the stadium money carve-out, and I think it's an interesting issue. He explained it clearly and well, at least in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I honestly don't know, but it being Buffalo, I have a hunch that fans will figure something out.

LOL, well that may very well be true.  

I do think that the greatly diminished space for tailgating will ultimately be a major factor in determining it.  

40 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That’s an impractical scenario.  Players are transient so there’s no way this would make sense for either side. 

The players already have full revenue share access as a result of the last CBA there is no way they would give that up.  

Don't have to convince me.  I'm just saying what the article said.

Most likely it's just something brought to the table by the owners to be used as a bargaining chip.  This is very common in labor negotiations.  Bring things to the table that you don't really care about so you can take them off during the negotiation to help get what you really want.  "Oh, OK, we'll take X off the table if you take off Y (or give us Z)".

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It's not really fear-mongering though, and in any event do you REALLY think that's the purpose of this particular piece? I certainly don't think so, and I've read it a couple of times. As I've said above, it's the first I've read about the stadium money carve-out, and I think it's an interesting issue. He explained it clearly and well, at least in my opinion.

Fully agree on this.  If nothing else the league and its owners, generally speaking and for sure the bunch in the top-20, care about money and nothing else.  

All it takes is a quick google to see that the NFL Stadium Credits issue is real.  This was one of the first links that came up;   

https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2019/07/03/stadium-credits-mooted-nfls-next-cba-report/

It's clear that the issue is real.  

That's also why I believe that the performance of the team during the stadium lease-extension years which overlap the CBA is critical.  I don't think it's going to be good if "The Process"/McBeane fail, it won't help to be sure.  

• Like (+1) 1